Coarse, heavy hair causing headaches and self-esteem issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watertiger21

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My hair has been causing me some self-esteem issues for I don't know how long... It's completely unmanageable, I have no knowledge of hair care or products, and I don't even know where to start! Also, because my hair is SO thick and heavy, I actually get headaches at least every other day. :sad:

I've been to a few hair stylists in the past, and though they were helpful, they either gave me styles that were too high-tech for me and I was never able to reproduce them or what they did to my hair didn't help the problem. I'm desperate to figure out something to do, and I know I need a professional to help me out with this. Any advice (suggestions of products, suggestions of what I should ask a hair stylist to do for me, etc) is greatly appreciated!!

A description of my hair: Extremely thick, coarse, dry, bushy, brown hair... kind of like these photos from the internet: Hermione's Hair, Thick/Frizzy Hair. I can only wash it every few days or so because washing it creates an extremely fluffy, frizzy effect (in other words, slightly "dirty" hair weighs it down and helps the problem). I've had layers done in the past, but the top and middle layers just fluff up, giving it a coarse, poofy look. (It's as if my hair needs to be long and heavy in order to keep from looking like a weird afro or something.) However, with my currently long hair: everything right near the top of my scalp stays flat and all the rest of my hair poofs down around my neck and shoulders, kinda like this: Bushy, Fluffy Hair

And remember my headaches... Having super long hair is slowly but surely driving my sensitive scalp and head insane :(

Sorry for the long post! Any advice? As previously mentioned, I quite literally don't know anything about hair... I don't know what type of brush I should be using, I've never been able to straighten it with a straightener despite practicing, I usually spend only ten minutes a day on my hair, etc. I'm also a poor college student who is struggling with money, but I'm willing to save in order to do what I need to do.

I am super, whole-heartedly grateful for whatever advice you have to give!

Hey Hun, I am not a hairdresser but I have the same type of hair as you. I have my hair thinned (my hairdresser used to do it but I have since bought thinning scissors and do my own). This makes a massive difference to my hair. I only wash mine once a week as I have an intolerance to most shampoos, but when I wash it, I don't leave it wrapped in a towel. I dry it, put Argan oil in, then leave it to dry naturally. I then straighten it with GHD's and that lasts me all week. No other straighteners work for me!
For my hairstyle, I have it just below my shoulders and my stylist cuts in a couple of layers to thin it out and make it look less voluminous.
It's pants having thick hair, but there are ways around it and when we are old and grey, we will hopefully still have some of it when everyone else is bald :) xxx

I would recommend a kebelo treatment if you where my client it is a soothing treatment but does so much more please look it up on Google, I don't recommend thinning your own hair as the sectioning and angel has to be right, as for the head ache is it definitely your hair I would look a bit more into this with your doctor, look up the kebelo you would be ideal for this here is a picture of my sisters hair it wild naturally :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1398800773155.jpg
    1398800773155.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 240
I would recommend a kebelo treatment if you where my client it is a soothing treatment but does so much more please look it up on Google...

Thank you, thank you! As you suggested I looked kebelo treatments up and I'm impressed by all the info about it. As of now it doesn't seem to be very available in the U.S. but I'll keep searching for it!

Hey Hun, I am not a hairdresser but I have the same type of hair as you. I have my hair thinned (my hairdresser used to do it but I have since bought thinning scissors and do my own). This makes a massive difference to my hair... It's pants having thick hair, but there are ways around it and when we are old and grey, we will hopefully still have some of it when everyone else is bald :) xxx

Thanks so very much for your kind words, they helped more than you know :)

Goldwell Kerasilk is available in the US - it'll change your life!

Latest posts

Back