Cocky stylist!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondon90

Reaction score
I work with a stylist who, to be fair, is a really bad hairdresser who always cuts corners. Every time I'm teaching the apprentices something he disagrees with me in front of them.. When I know what I'm saying to be true!

E.g me; 'okay so apply some barrier cream before applying the colour/perm lotion..'
Him; 'you don't need to use barrier cream'

Or how I was explaining the other day that sulphates are used in shampoo to help them lather and he completely disagrees and says the opposite! In front of clients! I've approached the boss about it and she says I'm just being silly. I've even approached him about it. He says he'll stop, but he still keeps doing it!

I'm gunna end up lamping him! Haha! I joke!

What should I do?

The next time he does it, call him out in front of everyone... Or simply ask him to remove himself from your class if he already knows it all.

The next time he does it, call him out in front of everyone... Or simply ask him to remove himself from your class if he already knows it all.

Haha if only :) lol I don't teach in a classroom. Its just I'm te only one that bothers training the apprentices in the salon. The other stylists mock me because I take it so seriously. Such a joke! Ad the boss doesn't care to listen to what I'm saying either

Those who don't care to listen and are not taking training seriously are fools. It is most important that apprentices be trained properly for the future of the salon. Leaving those in training to their own devices is simply putting a close date on the salon. It sounds to me like you are in the wrong environment, if I were you I would open a salon of your own , or find a salon who's staff s as passionate as you are.

tell him he may need refresher courses.....but clearly his picked up bad habits. Call him out on it, and hopefully he'll get the hint, tell him that if he wishes to train them up, not to undermine you, or frankly he can take over. GRRR! xoxo

Those who don't care to listen and are not taking training seriously are fools. It is most important that apprentices be trained properly for the future of the salon. Leaving those in training to their own devices is simply putting a close date on the salon. It sounds to me like you are in the wrong environment, if I were you I would open a salon of your own , or find a salon who's staff s as passionate as you are.

I second this
It doesn't sound like you're able to reach your full potential in that salon
X

The only way youre going to shut him up is by totally squashing his ego in public - ie calling him out on his inaccurate information. This will however mean youre stooping to his level and making yourself look unprofessional.
Tricky I know.
If it were me in this position, I would baffle them with the science (making sure you are completely accurate). If he disagrees with you, have the evidence handy to show him you were correct and he was not.
xx

- thanks for your comments!

I've mentioned refresher courses and even tried to incorporate him in training but he's so ignorant. He thinks he doesn't need to improve which is the Kiss of death in this industry.

I think I'm going to start job-hunting to be honest. Just a shame because I had started to get a good client base going here!

Thanks again guys!

I suspect the boss is quite weak really and probably doesn't care to have to deal with the situation. Easier to turn a blind eye than actually have to confront a member of staff about their unacceptable behaviour.

However, if s/he gets wind that you might be moving on, they may well make an effort to resolve the problem especially, if they think they might be losing business as a result of your leaving. Hopefully, s/he has enough about them to realise that your colleague isn't such a great asset to the business.

I'd try one more attempt with the boss explaining how unprofessional your colleague is acting and that his behaviour is undermining your attempts to properly educate the apprentices. Point out that the apprentices are the future of the salon etc. etc. You could then add that you're not sure how much longer you can live with the situation.

Sadly, there's no guarantee you'd be happier in another salon, as these days so many business are cutting corners to save a few quid. Sometimes, better the devil you know, (and maybe you can learn a few tricks of how to manipulate the situation for your own benefit).

I would lamp him one!!!!lol.xxxx

lol... was thinking that myself

Horrible mean man! Next time he does it say SHhhhhhhhhhhhh and stare at him... Lol

You could just stop what your teaching, state at him and say "Sorry, would you like to take over and teach the rest of the session?" With a smile on your face! Or prey on his weakness and ask him to demonstrate something you know he isn't good at he he mean I know xx

Just tell your boss that you've had enough and its clear that he/she isn't interested in providing good training to the juniors as evidenced by the fact she's happy for staff to tell them not to bother with barrier cream etc.

Tell them you'll no longer be training the juniors and that you'll come to work, do your job and go home. If the juniors want training perhaps he/she should ask the other guy.

And then find yourself a new job with an employer who knows what they are doing. Put it this way...if your boss isn't bothered about the juniors getting no proper training, what does that say about their opinion on you guys getting more training? Have they actually booked you into any external training courses this year or had an appraisal with you to see where you would like to be headed within your career over the next 5 years?

Someone like me would snap up someone like you, and I am sure there are lots of 'mes' down your end of the country.

Good luck!

Sounds like somebody i once worked with.!!!

I work with someone just like this, he's so far up his own backside he's inside out! He's a nightmare to work with, also he's a rubbish hairdressing... He has messed up so many clients hair but my boss it stupid and won't fire him saying he's going through a rough patch! Grr

All sounds like you need a new job to be honest babe. Take the apprentices with you. No self respecting and passionate stylist deserves to be mocked taken for granted ignored embarrassed etc.

Latest posts

Back