Coconut oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColourBoy

Reaction score
So I've been on a "safest way to bleach hair" search and I've stumbled across something where someone applied coconut oil all over her head in the evening and then bleached her hair the following day without rinsing the oil out.. She said it was amazing and couldn't stop raving about it! Any opinions??

Not a hair geek but I know someone that does this when bleach bathing, she swears by it and says it really helps prevent damage.

Wouldn't it cause a barrier tho?

That's what I thought but this girl uploaded pictures (admittedly it was someone doing it at home) but it still lifted to a yellow 9 from what I can see looked a level 6/7 so maybe it's worth a shot! I'll try it on my mum when I next do her roots 😂

Haha mums are fab ☺️ mines a guinea pig too lol

Haha! I used my boyfriends cousin as a guinea pig today for spatula'ing and it looked great thanks to inspiration from you

Aw ☺️ cool!

Tom, I have tried it. It slows down the bleach, but I didn't honestly see any positives from doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Was waiting for the right time to try this as so many people have said they lift better and stuff but think I'll pass now!

I actually found the same info a few months ago and tried coconut oil before bleaching. As I had regrowth I generously applied it to my lengths 3 hours prior and then bleached. Before toning I applied just a tiny amount to moisturize and found that it really helped a lot. I didn't form any kind of barrier but prevented my scalp and ears from stinging which is normally always present even with 3 days of not washing. I would even say it helped the lightening action a bit, at least it didn't affect it negatively. So I like coconut oil as a moisturizer, a scalp protection and for deep conditioning once a week (need to wash out with shampoo still).

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420413361.525124.jpg
This was the result

Think ill try it then😂

So my experience was different. I do a global bleach on natural level 8 hair. I normally use blondor and 6%. It takes about 25 minutes to process to pale yellow.

I had the client (who is also a friend) apply the coconut oil the night before we did her retouch. She saturated her hair as I instructed. I applied the lightener as usual. At 25 minutes it was gold. At 50 minutes it was a yellow level nine.

Hmm, tricky one...

Tom, I have tried it. It slows down the bleach, but I didn't honestly see any positives from doing it.

I cannot really say whether it slowed the whole process down or not, my hair always takes long to process as I have natural levels 5 to 7. However if it dilutes then it's like a slow and low approach, right?

How quick can anyone apply lightener to the roots? At least it takes 10 min+ so when taking even more time it could overprocess fine napehair or temples.
Maybe coconut is somewhat like a natural olaplex?

I guess your friends hair didn't feel worse than usual! Mine felt better but it's not super important as it gets cut short.

I cannot really say whether it slowed the whole process down or not, my hair always takes long to process as I have natural levels 5 to 7. However if it dilutes then it's like a slow and low approach, right?

How quick can anyone apply lightener to the roots? At least it takes 10 min+ so when taking even more time it could overprocess fine napehair or temples.
Maybe coconut is somewhat like a natural olaplex?

I guess your friends hair didn't feel worse than usual! Mine felt better but it's not super important as it gets cut short.

I'm wondering, because your hair is a level 5 and 7, do you just apply all over or to the 5 areas first?

No, it didn't feel worse or better. I thought that about the olaplex too, but I don't think coconut oil rebuild bonds, it just keeps the chemicals in the bleach from interacting with the metals in the hair, which could be a good thing.

I recently switched to blondor cream, and did notice a significant difference in the condition of the hair.

Next time I'm going to use silk lift. I have very high hopes :)

Maybe I'm just being a snob, but the results these diyer's get doesn't impress me much.

Last edited:
This girl also mentioned that she thought it might of aided the lightening process too... Hmm definitely going to have use my mum as a guinea pig

Doing my mom's hair platinum soon from 7 n ombre. . Maybe I'll give it another try. But I still really want ro try olaplex. I didn't get any for Christmas! ;-(

I'm wondering, because your hair is a level 5 and 7, do you just apply all over or to the 5 areas first?

Yes, I apply it to the "black" areas first which are left and right to my crown and to my front last.

I had collegues lighten my hair and it went patchier than doing it on my own but I like to torture them with my head 😂

I suppose coconut oil doesn't repair broken bonds but it felt pretty comfortable and I also had decent lightening results. I used it with BlondeMe9+ and 20 vol for ~ 50 min. I never had my hair lighten under 45 min so yeah...

Latest posts

Back