College kits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalinx

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! (sorry for my long post)

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on college kits and which the best ones are?

I've been given a kit list for my course (NVQ lvl 2) and the option to order one thorugh them (salon-services premium kit) but they don't mind which we choose.

My kit list consists of:

Hairdryer with nozzle (2000w)
Straightener
Round brushes (small, medium, large)
Paddle brushes (small and large)
Cutting comb
Plastic tail comb
Pin tail comb
Denman brush
Sectioning clips
6 inch scissors (is the length important? I kind of want smaller coz I have little hands!)
Tool bag
Dolly head and clamp.

So I would like to know if people think that the salon services kit is good or if people would recommend others. I've been told by the college the scissors from the kit are not good enough to use once we leave college. :S

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm so excited to be getting started finally! :D

I would say to pick your own stuff out. It would probably be easier (but more expensive) to just get the one from salon services. But you can pick your favorite tools this way. Personally I hated the clips combs brushes ect that came with my kit. Their shears were quite nice however. If I were you:

Extra long weaving combs from Krest
Croc clips ( hold tons of hair )
Cleopatra 420 cutting combs ( heat proof )
Babyliss pro makes lovely blowdryers and flat irons, and come with a lovely warrantee.
I love cricket round brushes because there isn't a seam so no pulling or tugging.

And your shears are a very personal thing. They will be in your hand for hours a day, so get comfortable with them. Try going to a store and trying them to see how they fit as well.

I hope this helps!

Personally, I wouldn't spend extra on scissors or general kit tools at this stage.

Your kit scissors will be fine for training as you will probably drop them occasionally and by the end of the course you can treat yourself to a better pair. If you drop a decent pair, they can become unaligned and may not be repairable. Coolblades have a good range of inexpensive scissors and a handy guide to choosing scissors.

How to Choose Hairdressing Scissors - CoolBlades Professional Hair & Beauty Supplies & Salon Equipment Wholesalers

Also, you might find some of your combs/brushes etc 'go missing' so again, probably not worth spending too much at this stage.

What I do recommend is to buy additional training heads for practising on. Have a decent long haired one kept just for 'hair-ups'. For basic cutting practice, cheaper synthetic haired one's are ok to use as you are learning basic shapes and angles but you won't be able to use too much heat on them.

Hey! I'm starting hairdressing this year and taking the kit and will add to it where I feel necessary as the year goes on.. I won't be buying expensive scissors at the start of the course as I may need to buy a few pairs with them going astray or dropping them as people have already said! I would stick with this as a starter and see how you feel and what you would like to improve on x

Thanks for everyone's advice, it's really great finding out what tools everyone recommends. :)

I think I will stick with the kit and add bits and pieces to it, I definitely think I'll be saving for a long hair dolly head though they're just so expensive! I already love doing hair up :)

Yeah I haven't ordered anything yet because I have to try to get the money awarded from the job centre. >.<

I don't know what the scissors in the kit we get are worth but it's £132 for everything including electricals so I can't imagine very much. I'll definitely wait to get good scissors, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of choice for lefties though. I was just surprised that 6inch was the standard size as in other threads most people seem to prefer 5 or 5.5. :)

In regard to the scissors I would stick to a cheap pair because the hair on the block head is not real hair (or at least it never used to be when I was training) so they will get ruined through training anyway and if you drop them etc you will need a new pair. I think that's why they give you a cheap pair in the kits.

Dont forget we'll get to go to the big trade fairs later in the year where we can try scissors and probably get special offers, by then we'll have a feel for what scissor we want.

The choice for lefties is terrible, companies dont even do lefties in all ranges let alone funky colours! ;-) Tbh im going to try to learn to cut with my right hand.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

i got my college kit from salons direct cheaper than salon services and good quality

I'm lucky enough that my college supply a kit at no charge. But I do agree with the scissors on dolls heads.. Same for extensions I'm going to get seperate pairs for each as apparently extensions can blunt your scissors quicker than natural hair ??

Princes trust are good for money for kits.. I applied last year as was going to a college i did have to pay for kog and didn't go to college in the end so left meeting the rep for my area but would certainly have used it if I had to fund my own kit.

Email them xx

I never thought about cutting with my right hand. I might give that a bash because it would give me a lot more choice scissor wise in future! :)

I never thought about cutting with my right hand. I might give that a bash because it would give me a lot more choice scissor wise in future! :)

Well the way I see it is I dont know how to cut with my right hand, I dont know how to cut with my left hand :-/ may as well give it a go :)

Salons Direct have low-cost left-handed scissors. I used them for cutting mannequin/block hair when I was training.

It's true there isn't as much choice for left-handed people in hairdressing scissors, but I'm more than happy with my Jay2 left-handed scissors.

Dont forget we'll get to go to the big trade fairs later in the year where we can try scissors and probably get special offers, by then we'll have a feel for what scissor we want.

The choice for lefties is terrible, companies dont even do lefties in all ranges let alone funky colours! ;-) Tbh im going to try to learn to cut with my right hand.

Where are the big trade fairs? And how do you hear about when they are on? X

Where are the big trade fairs? And how do you hear about when they are on? X

College will organise a group trip usually, something like professional beauty in feb or hair uk in may, scottish beauty april, depends where you can travel to. Clothes show live is fun also.

Trade magazines, habia etc usually publish a list of events they'll be at when dates are released.

Hello,

Just wondering if you guys got thinning scissors in your level 2 kit? My kit list I have to buy through Ellisons only has 1 pair of scissors (5.5). Or would I not use them in level 2?

Tia :)

I don't think a lot of kits put in thinning scissors. You can buy them cheaply enough though also if you go to salons international which is held in London I think it's usually about October time you can get really good deals on all things hairdressing.

I've ordered my kit and there was no mention of thinning scissors in it. I'm still waiting for it to arrive ( company says it hasn't been ordered and my college says it just hasn't arrived :/ ) I don't think that many colleges teach you to use them though.

I didnt have thinning scissors in mine. I brought a pair and asked my tutor to show me how to use them. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back