College Level 3 versus Academy Courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky03

Reaction score
Hi, i am pretty new to this... I am just looking for some advice on the benefits of going back to college to do my level 3 course or spend the same kind of money doing some shorter academy courses in cutting and colouring, i have recently qualified in Level 2 but have no salon experience and feel i need to get my confidence up before legitimately calling myself a hairdresser... I hope to go on to rent a chair but not sure of the best order to do things in :rolleyes:

Any feedback much appreciated!

:)

Hey I'm in a similar position I qualified to level 2 and thought I would walk into a job but I couldn't have been more wrong, I'm going back to college in September to do my level 3. U need it to even get ur foot in the door at a salon.

Hey I'm in a similar position I qualified to level 2 and thought I would walk into a job but I couldn't have been more wrong, I'm going back to college in September to do my level 3. U need it to even get ur foot in the door at a salon.
Hi, yeah i feel so confused at the moment to be honest... I passed my course well and had lots of positive feedback from tutors etc but still i don't feel i am able to confidently sell myself as a hairdresser, i have investigated things like the Sassoon ABC cutting and colouring (1 week) courses and they target themselves at newly qualified hairdressers looking to perfect their skills and build their confidence, TIGI seem to do something similar too but they are seriously expensive, around the same cost as doing my level 3... So do i spend another year being skint and working on friends and family getting my level 3 or do the short courses and try and get in a salon quicker... Dont want to waste time or money and really just want to be a really good stylist and colourist eventually.

Hope you get something sorted soon, let me know how you get on! :)

Hi

I really think these short courses are great if you want to refresh your skills or build on what you already know. But he yearly courses are great for practice and building your confidence, and learning new. You will come across many situations in the year and your tutor will be their to help you comp to a week's course... hth? xx

Hi

I really think these short courses are great if you want to refresh your skills or build on what you already know. But he yearly courses are great for practice and building your confidence, and learning new. You will come across many situations in the year and your tutor will be their to help you comp to a week's course... hth? xx
Hey,

Thanks, i have my level 3 interview in a couple of weeks so i will see how it goes, if i get offered the place i will have to take it but i guess if i don't then i will look into the short courses avenue. :)

My personal take on this is that in theory you can do some private courses get accreditation and insurance and set yourself up in business but if you want to work for someone then they will want to see an nvq 2 or 3. Also if you are self employed and want to train and offer more advanced salon/spa treatments you wont get the training till you can show the trainers your nvq 3 certificate.

I am going to do an nvq 2 and 3 distance learning course where you study from home, do a few days practical and arrange your own portfolio. It is costing me an arm and a leg - £1500 for the nvq 2 and £1600 for the 3 but I recognise that if I am going to have a long term future in this business I need to show that I have all the background understanding and experience.

I also looked into doing other courses but found them way out of my price range. I'm gonna stick with full time college level 3 and work on my skills and confidence then into the big wide world.

Thanks for your thoughts...

i am starting to think the level 3 will probably help me more in the long run, i think i am impatient short term though as i want to be self employed and working in a salon now but lack confidence... I am 33 so have come into the industry late in life and am keen to improve quickly and get to where i want to be right now, i think another 12 months at college will help but i could still do with being in a salon part-time as i think that is a requirement of my level 3? i have also found the Sassoon ABC cutting and colouring courses on DVD box sets so may invest in these also to back up what i have already learned and give me a bit of a head start going into my level 3? Have any of you used these kind of DVDs before, are they worth the money?

I'm also a late starter I'm 30 now, apparently the abc cutting in very good, get it cheap on eBay £35 last I saw.

Thanks for your thoughts...

i am starting to think the level 3 will probably help me more in the long run, i think i am impatient short term though as i want to be self employed and working in a salon now but lack confidence... I am 33 so have come into the industry late in life and am keen to improve quickly and get to where i want to be right now, i think another 12 months at college will help but i could still do with being in a salon part-time as i think that is a requirement of my level 3? i have also found the Sassoon ABC cutting and colouring courses on DVD box sets so may invest in these also to back up what i have already learned and give me a bit of a head start going into my level 3? Have any of you used these kind of DVDs before, are they worth the money?

Jeesh... you are saying you are doing this late in life and you are only 30.... I am doing this at 46..Personally tho, age is just a number and frankly looking at the work ethic and mental state of most teenage students, I think I am far better placed to embrace this business.

You know you can do a fast track nvq 2 and 3 through either carlton or openstudy college. You can pay by installments so for me it is a one off payment of £379 and then 12 monthly payments of £120. It makes it more affordable that way. I know it is pricey but you say you are impatient, like me really :biggrin:

Please try and curb your impatience. You need time to practice and build your hairdressing skills. It really is not all about gathering up NVQ's as quick as possible. So often people with fast track qualifications fall down at trade test due to lack of practice/ experience. Accept that hairdressing is a trade which takes time and practice to master, there is no quick way.

Please try and curb your impatience. You need time to practice and build your hairdressing skills. It really is not all about gathering up NVQ's as quick as possible. So often people with fast track qualifications fall down at trade test due to lack of practice/ experience. Accept that hairdressing is a trade which takes time and practice to master, there is no quick way.

Yes you are right doing it right is most important, however college courses are based around a six hour day five days a week 9 months out of a year with lunches and breaks added in. If you do a correspondence course you can do the theory according to your own agenda. As for the application, after putting together my portfolio and doing all the practical exercises required for an nvq, I will volunteer my services for free with a salon for the experience. I totally agree that there is no instant gratification with this but at the same time I dont see why you should be limited by a colleges opening hours either.

To my opinion, I think it's best to do them both. The NVQ3 will give u foundation stuff, whilist short academy courses are most likely to focus on a particular aspect, such as colouring/cutting etc.
However, you don't have to go to Sassoon. Or Tigi. They're many other short courses who can give you the same insight, according to your budget. Any extra course you take will be a bonus on your CV and in this industry you have to stand apart!
And yes, you also need the practical experience. Taking 7 days at an academy won't compare to working on clients, even if in a training salon!

I know they're so pricey! I've actually pinned the brochure for Sassoon 2011 on my board and with ever day I realise I'm not getting closer to save up for the courses!
In an ideal world I would be able to attend every possible course and seminar and presentation, and afford them as well :)). Haven't found a treasure yet, but still digging! :)

Latest posts

Back