Color correction faded pink to platinum

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLLeal

Reaction score
I have this client her hair is a faded pink and had a considerable amount of damage due to bleach over bleach adventures. She's a level 4 naturally and wants to be over all lighter. I am aware that bleach on her ends is not gonna happen but. Could I safely use a color remover to remove the pink? I have never used a color remover before. Any suggestions would be welcomed thanks. Also, I'm new here so hello everyone! I'm

Hi and welcome to salon geek.

Is the pink a permanent colour or a direct dye (sits on the outside of the cuticle layer)?

Most colour removers only work with permanent colour. You can buy products that help remove direct dyes but if it's a direct dye, bleaching tends to make the colour stain the cuticle layer and you then have to either colour over it or cut it out.

How light does the client want to go?

Sorry, I pressed post by mistake a bit early.

What level is your client hoping to achieve?

Sorry, I pressed post by mistake a bit early.

What level is your client hoping to achieve?
She's hoping to achieve a level 10 but that's not going to happen. Her hair is pretty thrashed.

It sounds like you need to have an honest chat with your client.

Can you do some strand tests with tiny pieces of hair to show her the likely extent of damage if you tried to bleach it that high?

Even with Olaplex, if the cuticle layer is damaged, no colour is going to last.

Also, if she's naturally a 4, will something on a 10 suit her skin tone?

Hi and welcome to salon geek.

Is the pink a permanent colour or a direct dye (sits on the outside of the cuticle layer)?

Most colour removers only work with permanent colour. You can buy products that help remove direct dyes but if it's a direct dye, bleaching tends to make the colour stain the cuticle layer and you then have to either colour over it or cut it out.

How light does the client want to go?

I'm pretty sure her shaft is already stained, it has never stayed for so long before.

It sounds like you need to have an honest chat with your client.

Can you do some strand tests with tiny pieces of hair to show her the likely extent of damage if you tried to bleach it that high?

Even with Olaplex, if the cuticle layer is damaged, no colour is going to last.

Also, if she's naturally a 4, will something on a 10 suit her skin tone?

With Olaplex (measured properly of course) her hair won't lift. She looks good blonde, but last time I told her we couldn't lighten her anymore. Even after taking quite a bit of length off it broke in some places so she knows. I am going to have to tell her we can't do it. I kind of figured that was the answer. I was mostly just trying to make sure I was right. Uggghhhh

With Olaplex (measured properly of course) her hair won't lift. She looks good blonde, but last time I told her we couldn't lighten her anymore. Even after taking quite a bit of length off it broke in some places so she knows. I am going to have to tell her we can't do it. I kind of figured that was the answer. I was mostly just trying to make sure I was right. Uggghhhh
Thanks for your input

No problem. It's good to get a second opinion sometimes, especially when you have to be firm with the client. :)

No problem. It's good to get a second opinion sometimes, especially when you have to be firm with the client. :)
Update:
I used Malibu Direct Dye Lifter with water
She had about 3 inches of regrowth that I foil highlighted with 40v/bleach
Carried through less damaged areas with bleach and 10v
Added reconstructor to ends and anything I didn't want bleach on.
Toned with Rusk 8/11AA and 9/13B

The end result with no haircut was obviously not as light as she wanted to be but was light enough to make her happy. No trace of stained pink remained. I was actually pretty impressed with how seemless it came out. Lol it's never light enough. She wants it to be fried pieces of white straw

It sounds like you did an excellent job. Well done you!

As they say, under promise and over deliver. ;)

Latest posts

Back