Colour Advice Please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missfit

Reaction score
I've just had a consultation with a new client who's looking for me to "fix" her hair as she is having problems with the colour she is getting and how it fades.

I'm a bit confused to be honest so hope someone can help me.

She has quite short hair and gets blonde highlights with a brown tint in between the foils.

However after a few washes the brown starts to fade and becomes quite golden and a lot lighter which she hates. This therefore makes her higlights look very golden as well.
Her base colour is a 7 and her aim is to be more brown with a few blonde highlights.

I was going to use 12.1 high lift with a sprinkle of bleach for the highlights but what should I do with the tint to stop this fading to a orangey colour.

I might sound really daft here but why is this happening as from what i can see its lighter than her base colour despite it starting off a lot darker when she first gets it done. She also says the tint is a semi so surely it shouldn't be lightening her hair??

Any advice would be so great thanks!!!

hi, doesnt sound like a semi to me!! does she have any grey to cover? sounds like her hair is porous as whoever has been doing her hair has not taken care to pick up the light bits from before, they have just woven though putting the brown over some of the blonde and vice verser hence the gold in the hi-lites and fade of the brown! i would defo use a semi or quasi on this and tone the blonde for her!! hth:)

I know its a strange one but then clients never really tell you the full truth do they!!!
Thanks for the advice.

Check what she is washing her hair in, it could be that stripping the colour. This, I find, is the most common culprit.

Try to pick more ash browns and this make counteract the gold. Goldwell do a new range of 'non-yellowing' browns. :)

Yeh I'd find out what she's washing it with. Could be stripping it out esp if it's just after a few washes x

Check what she is washing her hair in, it could be that stripping the colour. This, I find, is the most common culprit.

Try to pick more ash browns and this make counteract the gold. Goldwell do a new range of 'non-yellowing' browns. :)

Yeh I find that its tends to be the shampoo they are using. Customers seem to think we are out to con them by offering them different shampoos but its only because they are so often using the wrong ones!

thanks everyone. aside from head and shoulders what other shampoos should people steer away from?

Ask about medication. Also a common problem. Worst of the worst are blood pressure and thyroid meds.

I have a couple clients in this boat, and all have long term bp or thyroid problems.

thanks everyone. aside from head and shoulders what other shampoos should people steer away from?

I won't guarantee ANY colour, unless the clients use the shampoo I recommend. If I do a Schwartzkopf colour, I recommend their shampoo etc. Always the salon professional brand never the consumer brand that you would find in Boots, Asda etc.

Then if anything happens to the colour, I can go back to the colour company for advice.

Vosene/any medicated/clarifying/laquer removing shampoos.
HTH

Latest posts

Back