Colour advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmarie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have no clue whatsoever with hair, so thought I would pick the brains in the hair section, if you don't mind.

I am naturally VERY dark brunette, but have been blonde for as long as I can remember now (with a couple of phases going back dark, before wanting it lighter again)

The thing is, I am not fortunate enough to have lovely thick hair. It is very fine, so I have always looked after the condition, to keep as much of it as I can!

I did have an awful hair disaster though, by a very large chain of hairdressers, which left me worried about damaging my hair again...

I currently have my fab hairdresser/friend simply apply colour to my roots every 5 weeks. I trust her, but the issue is, in between visits, I obviously get my very dark roots coming through, but the the surrounding root area also goes really brassy. This therefore means that it looks a mess really when I have very dark roots, brassiness/orangey, then very light blonde and then darker on the ends from old colour...

I see this method as best for the condition of my hair though, as it means that there is never any part of my hair getting coloured repeatedly or being over-processed.

I would however like some darker tones put through/a bit of a change instead of the all over light blonde. Can this be done, but still just have root colour?!

Also, is there a semi-perm colour I could try out as a change, but one that will simply wash out and do nothing to damage it?!

Sorry, hope this all makes sense?! Xx

Pics below to hopefully show what it's like now.... Please don't insult my styling though, as like I say - I am totally crap at anything hair-related, so I know that my curling skills will prob look ridiculously laughable! ��

If you need a pic of my roots, they are shocking now so I could send if needed...

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1425809536.855807.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1425809550.553450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realised you can't really see on that second pic, so have cropped...

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1425810593.065285.jpg

Adding a dark semi to hair bleached to that level won't cover it adequately and could go khaki green. Not a good look.

You could ask your hairdresser for some lowlights or tonal balayage?

Last edited:
It doesnt look or sound like your roots arw being lifted enough if it's going orange. Some lowlights would be fine

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok, thanks a lot both... I will ask for lowlights or this 'bayalage' that I've heard mentioned on here so much! Ha!
Thanks x

Balayage rather x

Adding a dark semi to hair bleached to that level won't cover it adequately and could go khaki green. Not a good look.

You could ask your hairdresser for some lowlights or tonal balayage?

Hi, just wanted to say in response to this, that my hair is not bleached... It is lightened with high lift tint, this is obviously why it's only lightened to a certain extent. My hairdresser doesn't have bleach in the salon!
Is high lift tint a lot better for the hair than bleach then?

I had my hair done last Sat and decided to go with the low lights, along with my usual root colour, so it's a bit of a change... Xx

Hi, just wanted to say in response to this, that my hair is not bleached... It is lightened with high lift tint, this is obviously why it's only lightened to a certain extent. My hairdresser doesn't have bleach in the salon!
Is high lift tint a lot better for the hair than bleach then?

I had my hair done last Sat and decided to go with the low lights, along with my usual root colour, so it's a bit of a change... Xx

Tint is better for your hair than bleach - but bleach can lift to lighter levels than tint can

I dont really agree that tint is better... highlift is usually used with 40vol which can be worse than bleach and 20 vol. Im confused as to why your stylist hasnt got bleach?... id say its a neccesity in the salon (some may disagree-but they are wrong) if you want to get rid of that brass id find someone who will use bleach... x

But if its done and your happy thats what matters

I dont really agree that tint is better... highlift is usually used with 40vol which can be worse than bleach and 20 vol. Im confused as to why your stylist hasnt got bleach?... id say its a neccesity in the salon (some may disagree-but they are wrong) if you want to get rid of that brass id find someone who will use bleach... x

Oh gosh, interesting! I did used go always have my hair bleached years ago, and yeah - I don't ever recall having the brassiness and my hair was always a lovely baby blonde.... Hmm something for me to think about now then xx

Oh gosh, interesting! I did used go always have my hair bleached years ago, and yeah - I don't ever recall having the brassiness and my hair was always a lovely baby blonde.... Hmm something for me to think about now then xx

Yeah unless you're quite fair naturally you wont get that baby blonde. Its easily achievable though :)... i have to say if someone told me they didnt use bleach and have it in the salon i wouldnt go to them for anything. Thats just my professional view of it though x

Right... Mind made up ha ha, I shall go and get my roots bleached somewhere else... I can just go and ask someone new to just apply bleach to my roots only can't I? Will it still turn out nice? X

Yeah a good stylist will know what to do :) take some pics if you like of the sort of blonde you're after x

This was taken last sat after I'd had the lowlights put in... If I have the roots bleached in 4 weeks time, will it all match up ok? Sorry, as you can tell, I am dumb when it comes to hair View attachment 83784

Wowzer no wonder your roots were brassy 😱.... i cant actually see the lowlights in that pic lol. Hmm im not a fan of bleach roots and . lowlights... i would just do your researc

Wowzer no wonder your roots were brassy 😱.... i cant actually see the lowlights in that pic lol. Hmm im not a fan of bleach roots and . lowlights... i would just do your researc

Oops pressed send to early... do your research with a good colourist and see what they think for you x

It's funny though, cus as you can see, the rest of the hair is much lighter, so this is obviously due to her overlapping the root colour over the brassy area to lighten that all up again? So the blonde on the rest of it is nice... Just wish I'd not had the lowlights now, cus then the new salon that gets me wouldn't have the other dark colour going through it, so it would be easier to sort...

Oh well, I'm rambling now, so like u say, I will just tell/show them exactly what I want and go from there :) x thanks x

Yeah hard to say what shes done really :) the lowlights in the hair shouldnt be a problem. Maybe you cpuld go for a root drag or something like that. Be easier on you because of your roots x

Latest posts

Back