Colour change!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizzyS_

Reaction score
One of my lovely ladies has decided she wants a change. She is currently a base 4(years and years of box dyes) with about an inch regrowth of a natural cool base 7 with zero whites. She's now wanting to go a shade of red. I've been honest and not over promised any major lift to have something bright, and after speaking again to her again she's quite open to any colour as long as there is a hint of red. My only worry is her hair is very long just above her bum and I've strand tested and it hasn't lifted greatly and obviously there will be better lift mid lengths than the ends! (Pics attached) my first thoughts r to bleach bath, and then going by the pics attached use something like a 5-5 wella with 5-5 and a bit of base on the roots to deepen them down. Am I on the right track? I work by myself so can't share my ideas with anyone! Thanks in advance!x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1461700346.939235.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1461700389.321474.jpg

Could you try a colour remover and start her off as balayage?

Could you try a colour remover and start her off as balayage?
I thought this but she is adamant she wants one overall colour.

Is she willing to have any chopped off to get rid of some of the colour build up? I would lift it as much the condition will allow and then I'd use colour touch instead of Koleston. I did similar a couple weeks ago, but I put Koleston at the roots and stretched it out with colour touch on the ends.

A cool base 7 is one of the worst candidiates to have a red colour since the hair does not have the underlying pigment or the depth to support the shade. However lifting the lengths and ends which are coloured to a level 4 will lift warmer which is perfect for red. Using a technique that focuses on the lengths and ends like balayage (I would back comb in foils if the hair is diffucult to lift) and then deepening the roots (no one wants hot roots) would be perfect.

She wants an all over colour but you are the professional and you already know the best route, if she doesn't want to do that I would refuse the service. Otherwise you will create a whole new colour correction that you will be responsible for ;)

A cool base 7 is one of the worst candidiates to have a red colour since the hair does not have the underlying pigment or the depth to support the shade. However lifting the lengths and ends which are coloured to a level 4 will lift warmer which is perfect for red. Using a technique that focuses on the lengths and ends like balayage (I would back comb in foils if the hair is diffucult to lift) and then deepening the roots (no one wants hot roots) would be perfect.

She wants an all over colour but you are the professional and you already know the best route, if she doesn't want to do that I would refuse the service. Otherwise you will create a whole new colour correction that you will be responsible for ;)

Your right the joys of hairdressing! I think I just needed to speak to fellow hairstylists because in my head what ur saying I was already thinking.[emoji30]

Anyone got any ideas what I can tone with if I balayage? Looking at the strand lifted? You don't use wella do u Adam? I need cams on this thread!aha

Has anyone else got any ideas?[emoji16]

I've got this lady tomorrow. Has no one got any ideas?[emoji16]

Like I said before, I'd just put colour touch over it instead of a Koleston perfect toner. There is a 5/5 in colour touch if that's the depth it will lift to and that's as red as she wants it, otherwise I'd go 55/54 if she wants it more red.

Like I said before, I'd just put colour touch over it instead of a Koleston perfect toner. There is a 5/5 in colour touch if that's the depth it will lift to and that's as red as she wants it, otherwise I'd go 55/54 if she wants it more red.
Thanks kel, that's what I've got in my head a 5/5 if it lifts more, it's a bonus. Thanks for getting back to me [emoji5]️

Latest posts

Back