Colour correction assistance - patchy result

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaPapaya

Reaction score
I had a client (friend) into college yesterday to do my first colour correction, but because we were understaffed in the salon, I had to pass my client to a Level 3 student who needed a cc to pass her course. Anyway that’s another story! So I didn't actually do this myself but was watching!

Client natural base 6-7 with sprinkling of grey – mainly in the crown area.

Has previously been using box colour (for 20 odd years). But for last 6 months has been coming to me to be coloured with Matrix 1A (and 1.9%). She’s got very short hair (usually shaved to a grade 4) with some long feathering around the fringes (think skinhead girl style).

She had 10 week re-growth so just over an inch and a half of natural root and greys.

My clients intention is eventually to start moving up to reds and then eventually end up blonde – either high-lift or full head bleach and a platinum toner.

The colour correction involved bleach + 9% over the built up ends. This started to lift some of the back hair straight away but after 25 mins not much was happening to the rest of the hair. Teacher advised level 3 to mix up more bleach and 12% for another 20 minutes. This lifted the hair to a very rich orange tone, but there was still a lot of black in the hair at the ends.

Client knew she wasn’t going to go blonde that night and we had originally decided on 6RV. Which we didn’t have in stock. So compromised with 5RR+ (6%).

The colour was applied and left for 45 minutes, but it came out really quite patchy (some parts seemed to have covered really well but others looked pale orange and other parts looked black). My level 3 had left by this time and my client was a bit disappointed with the overall effect. Even though she’d been advised it might not go the red she wanted first time. But I don’t think she was expecting a patchy result. I felt bad for her as I’d suggested she come in to college to get it done!

She’s asked me if I can look at it again.

I’ve said I’d get some advice but I’d recommend that she needs to leave it for a couple of weeks if she can (even though her hair is in really good condition) and I don’t want to wreck it for her – particularly as I don’t know anything about colour corrections yet.

But I’m not sure what to do.

Would you just reapply 5RR+ full head tint to try and cover the patchy parts or do as I saw in college – bleach again and then add the desired colour.

My questions is about correcting the patchy red result, not about how to get her up to blonde quite yet, just in case you were wondering!

Can anyone help?
I hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
The hairdresser LEFT before checking the result? And the college are cool with this?
Without seeing and feeling the hair, it's impossible to advise you. Can I suggest you speak to a lecturer ASAP.

I know :/
Not sure if they're cool with it or not, but she left, she said the L3s class finishes at 8pm so she was going as it was my client anyway! (but I wasn't allowed to correct it myself!)
Yes, I'll give them a call and see what she says.
My friend said it looked better after she'd shaved it again (she doesn't trust anyone else to shave it!) but still!

If I remember matrix correct 6rv can be made using 3/4 6r and 1/4 6v.
If the bleach bath came out patchy then 2-3 different mixtures should have been used to re colour. Without seeing it though its hard to tell. The more coppery areas may be fixable using a violet shampoo for 2 minutes on only them areas xoxo

Can you suggest a true semi in a similar colour for her at the moment for the lighter bits.

Thank you! :)
I'll remember the colour mix for next time, but we had absolutely no colours in to even make a mix (after half term - no one bothered to re-order!) which is why we used the 5RR+
I'll speak to my friend later and see what she wants to do.

i personally would have definalty expected a patchy result after using 1A- its so bleeding dark! What you should of done was fill it in using a toner, csync would have been ideal and go for a copper shade then this would have pre filled the patchy areas. Then use the 5rr+ 20vol as shes got resistant greys which would have taken better and longer lasting colour. hths xoxo

i personally would have definalty expected a patchy result after using 1A- its so bleeding dark! What you should of done was fill it in using a toner, csync would have been ideal and go for a copper shade then this would have pre filled the patchy areas. Then use the 5rr+ 20vol as shes got resistant greys which would have taken better and longer lasting colour. hths xoxo

LOL, yeah it was really dark, and so she wants to go lighter now as she's getting greys!

Thank you for your answer, that sounds like a sensible thing to have done using a quasi first. I didn't know what would need to be done, and was still a bit narked my client got pinched by a level 3 student! So just assumed she'd know what she was doing.

I've said to my client, if she's unhappy still to come into college on Monday and I will get a teacher to help me and I'll try and even it out for her.

She's not angry, just had her expectations dashed a bit! :) I'm probably more disappointed as I could see it was patchy at the back.

Well we live and learn :D

Latest posts

Back