Colour correction help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T12

Reaction score
Hi, I'd be so grateful if anyone could give me some advice. I prefer to do cutting but my client asked me to do a colour correction. She box dyed it black, so wanted to go lighter. I bleach bathed it and got it up to a base 6/7. I applied a 7/1 all over but only done ends for the last 10-15 minutes. The colour came out ok, but the roots were slightly lighter. Now it has faded the roots are much lighter than the ends, more like a golden base 7 for the roots and base 6 on ends. She now wants to be base 6 all over so I was going to apply 6/1 to the roots and then pull the colour through to the ends last 10 minutes? Just wondered if you think it would end up with a visable colour band? Or if you had any other better suggestions? Thanks in advance

Are you using permanent or semi permanent ? To be on the safe side I’d take a test cutting and trial the colour before you actually do it. I think your colour choice is right to put 6.1 over as it brings it to the same level and neutralises warmth but make sure your clients aware that ash makes hair appear darker. So if they don’t want to look to dark just go in with base 6 or 1/2 6+1/2 6.1 If the warmth really needs neutralising. Hope this helps !

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm using permanent colour. Do you think the 6/1 will be enough to neutralise the coppery base 7 roots? Basically what I'm dealing with here is hot roots but the ends are darker, roots are lighter

Oh and I'm using Wella Koleston Perfect

/1 in Wella is a green/grey ash and it isn’t strong enough to neutralise anything. It’s used to subdue tone.
You need a blue ash to neutralise copper.

I'm thinking now that actually mixing 6/0 + 6/1 just on the roots is a good shout and then just doing ends with 6/1 for the last 10 minutes? Can't make my mind up!! I know there is a few different ways I can correct it but I'm just trying to do it the kindest way. I wouldn't even mind if the roots were a touch darker as I think it would look more natural and she was talking about having ombré, but I said not to rush it, the main thing was stripping the black out and I want to try and get the colour as even as possible first.

I would be so grateful for any suggestions.

If you like the colour through the ends and she eventually wants to lighten, could you not just do a root stretch?

Yeah I was thinking that I was just worried that it would end up with a visible band. I think my main goal is to get it all same colour for now

After we’ve bleached bathed, typically the hair is porous and so we should use a shade to two shades lighter than what we want the end result to be. For example if you wanted a base 6, I would have used maybe half 7 half 8.
I would root stretch that. As the ends look dark enough. X

Yeah I was thinking that I was just worried that it would end up with a visible band. I think my main goal is to get it all same colour for now
Leave it 15 minutes then give it a good comb trough so your not left with a line x

Hi, I'd be so grateful if anyone could give me some advice. I prefer to do cutting but my client asked me to do a colour correction. She box dyed it black, so wanted to go lighter. I bleach bathed it and got it up to a base 6/7. I applied a 7/1 all over but only done ends for the last 10-15 minutes. The colour came out ok, but the roots were slightly lighter. Now it has faded the roots are much lighter than the ends, more like a golden base 7 for the roots and base 6 on ends. She now wants to be base 6 all over so I was going to apply 6/1 to the roots and then pull the colour through to the ends last 10 minutes? Just wondered if you think it would end up with a visable colour band? Or if you had any other better suggestions? Thanks in advance
You need a semi, you're depositing colour, no need for permanent, it's got much more ammonia in it which causes more damage, in turn damages the cuticle which will then cause the colour to fade quicker

After we’ve bleached bathed, typically the hair is porous and so we should use a shade to two shades lighter than what we want the end result to be. For example if you wanted a base 6, I would have used maybe half 7 half 8.
I would root stretch that. As the ends look dark enough. X

Thanks for your reply. I did use a shade lighter than I wanted it to be after bleaching but what I think happened is that the bleach expanded a little into her fresh regrowth therefore it annoyingly caused hot roots. I think I'm going to do 66/0 mixed with 6/1 on the root and then pull through the last 10 minutes. There is still colour build up on the ends so I wanted more depth at the root so that was my thought process for 66/0. x

You need a semi, you're depositing colour, no need for permanent, it's got much more ammonia in it which causes more damage, in turn damages the cuticle which will then cause the colour to fade quicker

I think I would have but I was worried that the semi would fade out way quicker because of the bleach bath

Thanks for your reply. I did use a shade lighter than I wanted it to be after bleaching but what I think happened is that the bleach expanded a little into her fresh regrowth therefore it annoyingly caused hot roots. I think I'm going to do 66/0 mixed with 6/1 on the root and then pull through the last 10 minutes. There is still colour build up on the ends so I wanted more depth at the root so that was my thought process for 66/0. x

66/0 is for colouring resistant grey hair and will leave it flat looking. You need to add some warm tones to it as the undercoat of a level 6 is orange.

I think I would have but I was worried that the semi would fade out way quicker because of the bleach bath
But permanent colour I've rprelightend hair won't last any longer than a semi, it's inevitable you're going to get fade, but if you prep the air in the best way befoare hand a semi will last longer. Permanent colour open the cuticle far more, which will essentially alow the colour to fade quicker, the more t .the cuticle is open the less it shuts back down after wards =allowing colour to fade.

66/0 is for colouring resistant grey hair and will leave it flat looking. You need to add some warm tones to it as the undercoat of a level 6 is orange.

Do you think it would be ok to just put the 6/1 on it then? I was just worried there wouldn't be enough depth to darken the root area. The ends have quite a lot of depth from the previous colour build up

Have you got a colour chart? What colour do the ends match to?
If you add colour the depth of a 6 on the roots and pull it through, i think it will still appear darker on the mids and ends due to colour saturation. I’d be minded to drop a level on the roots and use a demi.

The ends matched closely to a 66/0, that's why I wanted more depth to the root to ensure the roots were still not lighter than the ends.

Am I right in thinking that when you mix the 66/ range in wella it dilutes it slightly. So by adding 6/1 I was hoping that it wouldn't be as intense?

Latest posts

Back