Colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beck197

Reaction score
Hi just wanted some advice...

I have a client with very over processed hair, bleached it for years but it's fed up with roots. I wanted to do some reverse balayage on her hair but a bit unsure what colours to use as her hair throws off unwanted tones... I use wella. Thankyou

Reverse balayage? Light roots and dark ends? Um doesn't sound very nice

I think they mean a root stretch?

Attachments

• IMG_2087.PNG
    IMG_2087.PNG
    905.7 KB · Views: 97
That's a root stretch :)

Ok... we'll do you have any advice?

I think there's a slight misunderstanding of some hairdressing terms.

Balayage literally means to paint by hand. It's just a technique for applying colour rather than a specific look so you could have brown hair (5) with some tiny copper and blonde highlights painted through it. The idea is that it will look less uniformly coloured as it would by doing woven highlights and be more free flowing and natural looking.

Ombré is the blending of dark to light so commonly dark hair at the roots subtly blended into lighter colour at the ends. Reverse Ombré in hairdressing terms means light to dark.

Ok so has anybody got any advice on what to do... I have a client with root colour the shade of a 5. And the rest of her hair is bleach blonde, in quite bad condition! I want to achieve something that is more natural looking for her and easy to manage. I'm unsure on what colours to use on her as her hair throws off some unwanted tones. Anybody got any advice???

The picture has several shades of colour so I'd be inclined to bring the root colour down a little further and smudge it into the mid lengths and then add 2/3 different shades by hand. Usually painting a few lighter areas around the face.

Have you any experience of doing balayage? It's quite tricky to get the hang of initially without ending up with obvious lines when it's dry so I recommend practising on a headblock first.

If it's in poor condition, it can be quite frustrating as it might not take colour very evenly. Definitely use a porosity equaliser and a demi rather than a permanent tint.

The picture has several shades of colour so I'd be inclined to bring the root colour down a little further and smudge it into the mid lengths and then add 2/3 different shades by hand. Usually painting a few lighter areas around the face.

Have you any experience of doing balayage? It's quite tricky to get the hang of initially without ending up with obvious lines when it's dry so I recommend practising on a headblock first.
Yes I've done balayage before, the only reason I'm asking questions is because I'm unsure on what colours to use, not the technique.

The picture looks quite warm so I'd be looking at breaking up the blocky blonde with some slivers of a 7 and a warm 8 and possibly neutral 9 for a highlight. It depends what colours you've got in.
I don't stock a massive range of tints and tend to mix my colours according to warm/cool tones rather than use straight from the tube.

Yeah I'd go for warm level 7s and 8s and leave out some blonde pieces...

What tones are unwanted? Does she like ash or warmth x

I'd do a reverse balayage pick the root colour that's similar to her own, apply andirectly comb through a bit then go back through and do the reverse balayage on sections. As her hair is light on the ends it will pick up slightly different anyway. Then maybe tone the rest on the lighter pieces youve left out after if she want to change those. I've done it loads. Maybe do a pre colour treatment too if you can.

Ok so has anybody got any advice on what to do... I have a client with root colour the shade of a 5. And the rest of her hair is bleach blonde, in quite bad condition! I want to achieve something that is more natural looking for her and easy to manage. I'm unsure on what colours to use on her as her hair throws off some unwanted tones. Anybody got any advice???
I would do a root colour of colour touch 6/71+1.9% drag it down past the line of demarcation avoiding creating further lines, while you're doing this I would put some weaved foils or colour touch 10/0+9/16 equal parts, and then apply colour touch 8/71+9/16 +1.9% to mid length and ends that's left out, smudging it into the root colour, hope this helps

Latest posts

Back