Colour corrections on shop bought brown tints turning Black!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siansy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have come across this twice in the past few weeks so does anyone know why this happens.
One client who i install extensions for likes to colour her own hair and the other i was giving a consultation to today .
Both colour there own hair with various shop bought dyes. One uses a mid and sometimes light brown tint which takes that colour on her roots (40% grey) but from there on downward s it pretty much looks black. The ends are frazzled by straighteners so thinking highly porous but the mid lengths are in ok condition with plenty of shine? I have said to client I can correcty her colour as i think she keeps putting the colour on all over ( although she does say just the roots ) . In this case , colour overload?
My confusion is if hair is porous and over processed then would the colour not fade rather than get darker?
The other lady is trying to go a red mahogany and gets that a t the roots and then slowly darker towards ends which again are almost black.
As well as to confirm in my mind what causes this i would also like to be able to directely explain why to the clients so hope fully when i correct the colour it doesnt happen again and i will be able to just give them a root tint. Hope this makes sense
I'll stop for breath now,
thank s in advance x

Hiya luvvie,

Do you know what brand they use, I find Clairol Nice n Easy is the pits for this, it seems to grab on old colour and wash out of the new growth, the reason for this I've concluded and its always been the same for years is the peroxide opens the cuticle to get the colour in, but then the colour washes out leaving the cuticle of the hair still open, therefore next time they apply their colour ( and when they do it themselves 9/10 do just put it all over) it grabs again on the already processed hair, getting more and more of abuild up. Or are they using a 24 wash semi, as again Joe Public quite often buy these not really understanding what they are putting on. Why don't you explain, they're spending a lot on their extensions,but they're not getting the best resuly due to the colour they are using.

Sharon x:hug:

colour corrections on box hairdyes are a nightmare if you ask me, the peroxide is standard for all, the depth is always unknown, due to the high absorption form using these brands.
Sounds to me that your client hair has grabbed, maybe from using a prelightener over the years, causing it to be over processed and quite straw like, what do you reckon? why dont you convert her to using a softer hair dye and show her the difference? xoxo

I believe the cuticle dosent close properly due to the standard developer that it contains. My opinion is that it stains rather than develops, and in no way do I ever believe that they only apply to roots, or there wouldnt be the blackening....

Okay ...
When someone goes into Superdrug -or wherever - and buys a box, they see the colours and think 'yes, I'd like that'. They don't necessarily think that they have to follow the correct procedure to get a nice colour (for instance, how many do a skin test? ....) They see the colour on the box and it needs to do what it says.
Customer goes home, gets everything ready and dumps the whole lot on their head. Let's face it, it's quite a challenge to just do the roots, so on it goes. All over.
A client doesn't realise that this is Not A Good Thing. They just see the effect. It's only down the line when they want to get rid, or realise that their roots are awfully dark that they ask for help. By which time it's going to be a job from hell and it's going to cost them a fortune.

How many times do you get a client in asking 'how much ...?' Not 'I've done this, is it possible to ...' ands they're never quite honest with you about what they've done ...

You can either advise them, kick them out or take lots of money off them. I choose to take lots of money off them. I'm honest with them. I tell them what I may need to do, that it will probably take more than one session to get their hair right, I make no promises and I charge them plenty.

They soon see the error of their ways ...
:)

Okay ...
When someone goes into Superdrug -or wherever - and buys a box, they see the colours and think 'yes, I'd like that'. They don't necessarily think that they have to follow the correct procedure to get a nice colour (for instance, how many do a skin test? ....) They see the colour on the box and it needs to do what it says.
Customer goes home, gets everything ready and dumps the whole lot on their head. Let's face it, it's quite a challenge to just do the roots, so on it goes. All over.
A client doesn't realise that this is Not A Good Thing. They just see the effect. It's only down the line when they want to get rid, or realise that their roots are awfully dark that they ask for help. By which time it's going to be a job from hell and it's going to cost them a fortune.

How many times do you get a client in asking 'how much ...?' Not 'I've done this, is it possible to ...' ands they're never quite honest with you about what they've done ...

You can either advise them, kick them out or take lots of money off them. I choose to take lots of money off them. I'm honest with them. I tell them what I may need to do, that it will probably take more than one session to get their hair right, I make no promises and I charge them plenty.

They soon see the error of their ways ...
:)
I love that, you're my kind of geek!:hug:

Thanks all,

I think they keep getting lighter browns and putting on all over in the hope that it will lighten the black and it just makes it worse.
I had many times had clients that trying to save money had bought a shop blonde for it to turn orange and yes in the end spend more for me to correct it.
I am going to try and get my extensions client to let me correct it as i from the time i put her first extensions in and matched it , to going and doing a bit of upkeep this week she had dyed it again and now a different colour to the extensions. Not good for my rep or my advertising! the poor woman has already spent the past year having awful extensions and a technition who cut corners and ripped a good load of her hair out on removal, which thankfully is growing back so understandibly nervous of hairdressers. x

hahaha i love when clients try to lie bout it to, "no i dont have any colour on my hair, well except the one from three months ago," yet u see like 3 different colours of root banding where they have constantly tried to lighten it up hahaha x

hi i have a bleached blonde bob and i have really noticed how dry and brittle it is i think i need to go dark and give the bleach a rest for a while can any one offer a solution on how to do this and save the condition of my hair cheers:cry:

Latest posts

Back