Colour question - please help.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondgirl78

Reaction score
Hi

I have naturally dark hair but have it highlighted regularly. I have a full set of highlights at present. When i return from my holiday it would have gone quite brassy...however, i am going to take it darker perhaps to a shade of mid-chocolate brown with just a scattering of highlights.

My question is this ... is it possible to reccommend a make of colour in order to achieve the best results? My sis-in-law colours my hair at home, and altho she is fully qualified for many years now, i feel that her colours fade rather quickly and have no depth. She uses Majirel??? Can anyone reccomend a better brand??

Many thanks

Lena:lol:

Majarel is one of the best products that is available! I use it and find it brilliant! do you find that the blonde fades?? Or the dark colours...

I have 2 diff shades of blonde with a drak colour also, and i find that after about 10 days my hair looks a bit naff and faded. The blonde always goes brassy and the dark lowlights never last long or have much definition.

Maybe its my sis-in-law?? She trained over 20 years ago...i guess skills have been updated since then?? Im not a hair expert so i dont know what the problem is. I do know that in my previous salon, my hair stayed in better condition for much longer.

???

Many things will have a bearing on how long your colour lasts. Your hair might be very porous. You might be using a harsh shampoo. The salon may use a heat lamp and someone doing hair at home rarely has one of those. My favourite make is Koleston but I would not rubbish other brands.

Darker lowlights with a red tone tend to fade quicker (not using a red tone may make then go green). If you use a shampoo and conditioner like Aveda Blue Malva that will keep brassines at bay.

thank you for the advice...im afraid i use an average shampoo.. such as herbal essences. Perhaps i should invest in a better brand.

My sis in law never uses a heat lamp. I think i should go to my old salon for the darker colour change. My hair has always been a bit tricky to colour.

What to do!!! :)

If your own hair is dark enough to provide the contrast why are you having low lights? Usually you put low lights in if the client has grey/white hair because their own hair does not have the ability to act as a contrast.

By low lights I am talking about darker foils rather than a couple of shades of blonde.

if your hair is over processed from a build up of blonde h/l ( even if you only have a few everytime ,differant pieces may be picked up to be lighter and the lighter hair coloured dark ,so over a few years almost all the hair on the ends may have been lightened at some point) it wont hold the dark colour so well - things that wont help are cheap shamoo, the wrong type of shampoo,sun ,sunbeds and swimming! if the colour is going into the hair and straight out again - it may be better to try a long lasting semi -which sit on top of the hair ,making it glossy . also you could take it a hade darker , but that would be a risk as if your hair is porous then it could go too dark and not want to fade at all!
So essentislly -if you have permanant try a long lasting semi diacolor richesse is good(by loreal ) the richesse hi b will lighten by 1 shade . Or if you have a semi ask for a permanant ( but may be difficult to lift up without bleach)
hope this helps

wow..thank you all very much, you have been more than helpful xx

Basically, i have low lights to add warmth to my natural colour. for some reason my roots are much darker than the overall natural colour of my hair. Sis in law said that was the best way to add warmth??

Without being disrespectful to my sis in law, i never had this problem of fading when i went to a salon. I use her cause she is loads cheaper. I feel that her heart is not in it anymore and therefore, reflecting on her work.

I dont want to upset her, but my hair is my crown and glory and its just naff right now and has been for a while. I want my glorious hair back :(...its so upsetting.

ok , what you can do is go to the salon and ask for your record card - they have to keep this by law , and they have to provide you with a copy or the original by law . just casually find out what your sister in law uses , and compare the 2 . there are ways to bodge up application - but that would affect the colour in general and you will notice it - but it shouldnt effect fade- there are just some rules in colour that have to be followed (like putting it on the hair and on the ends except for certain hair and effects) that dont go out of date .

Hi

ok thank you vey much for that piece of advice... ill go and ask. The strange thing is, that when i was having colour in salon...i didnt need the lowlights...its only in the past 4 months that the lowlights thing was suggested to me.

Im so peed off and sad cause i feel that i could have avoided all this hassel if i had just stuck with the salon. All to save myself a bit of cash...i could kick myself in the boobs right now!!

if you are still brown - its easily fixed ,just dont have the lowlights and have a slightly warmer colour! id have a semi using diacolor - they are amazing! Why dont you post some pics so we can see what you mean?

Last edited:
hi hun

unfortunately, i dont have any more pics other than my profile...and thats me 2 years ago with darker hair having just got out of the shower...

Ill give my old salon a go when i get back...and ill take your advice and go for a diacolour...one more question...is diacolour the same as a semi?

xx

yes ,its long lasting depending on how dry your hair is and how often you wash it should last between 4-6 weeks

ok thanks so much Liana...ill try that :)

xx

Latest posts

Back