Colour question: Red hair wants blonde highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzleuk

Reaction score
ok I am not the most confident in colour... Yes I am qualified just not confident. I have a client who wants blonde highlights. But she currently has red hair. What would you use?
Thanks for any help any of you can provide :)

You've posted in the skin section hun, maybe a kind mod will move the thread for you :biggrin:

ok I am not the most confident in colour... Yes I am qualified just not confident. I have a client who wants blonde highlights. But she currently has red hair. What would you use?
Thanks for any help any of you can provide :)

What kind of look is she aiming for?
Highlighted or does she want to gradually go blonde?

The only thing I advise is that I personally don't like red and blonde together, highlights are either done to blend and give a kinda overall colour which if it's red and blonde (basically yellow) then that gives an overall orange appearance, or you can go for the chunky "streaks" (I hate that word) but no offence I think it will look like streaky bacon like them frazzle crisps! I try and steers people away from the red and blonde but if after I've said all that they still want it give a realistic prediction that red is a hard colour to lift and will probably not be a white blonde more of a warmer blonde! Think the only thing you can use is bleach x

I'd probably highlight it with bleach and flood a more natural brown in between Hun maybe something flat or with ash depending on how red it is and how dark it is. I hate seeing red and blonde hope this helps xx

Give the matrix bleach a go with the blue toner to get a cleaner lift xoxo

Give the matrix bleach a go with the blue toner to get a cleaner lift xoxo

Color graphics? use green if your getting rid of red :) or did you mean v-light bleach

Color graphics? use green if your getting rid of red :) or did you mean v-light bleach

V-light, although the graphics with green may be better, never seen the results of the green stuff, but they all smelled so nice years back when I used matrix. Xoxo

Thank you for putting this where it belongs I was having a blonde moment lol
Client is happy to rid of the red totally... would it be easier to strip red away and go to another colour and than highlight blonde? Would this be better to do? and if so what would I use? Or is it best to try and go blonde from red. I hate blonde from red cause I know so many things can happen. Thank you for your help :)

Do full head high lights with bleach and 3% so it lifts slower and cleaner, will more than likely need toning!

And then do a flat base over the rest do if she is currently say a 6.66 then do 7.0 go one up and use 3% because it's flat it will always appear darker and next time do full set of highlights again :)

Thank you for putting this where it belongs I was having a blonde moment lol
Client is happy to rid of the red totally... would it be easier to strip red away and go to another colour and than highlight blonde? Would this be better to do? and if so what would I use? Or is it best to try and go blonde from red. I hate blonde from red cause I know so many things can happen. Thank you for your help :)

As well as what blue rinse has added above (all very good advice) you could try an eraser before hand, I use affinage but everyone raves about blondi rae on here...should help you shift the red as much as possible without damaging the hair...will make the red easier to cover with a bases and easier to lighten with bleach :)

As well as what blue rinse has added above (all very good advice) you could try an eraser before hand, I use affinage but everyone raves about blondi rae on here...should help you shift the red as much as possible without damaging the hair...will make the red easier to cover with a bases and easier to lighten with bleach :)
Thank you both... hmmm now what to do... lol
Today has been a nightmare... 2 clients both with red...
My other client is a darker red and wants to go Rhianna red... guess I will start a new thread for that one. God I HATE RED... I hated it in school and I still hate it now. grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

Thank you both... hmmm now what to do... lol
Today has been a nightmare... 2 clients both with red...
My other client is a darker red and wants to go Rhianna red... guess I will start a new thread for that one. God I HATE RED... I hated it in school and I still hate it now. grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

What is she now ? Wat range you use? X

Latest posts

Back