Colour stripper

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
Hi
So my client has box dyed her hair a cool brown (5) for years, and I used a colour strip on Tuesday, this left her hair lighter than her natural colour (which is a base 6 with scattered grey), she wanted a warm brown with caramel highlights scattered around, working up to a gradual Balyage, the colour strip left it very ginger, does this mean we should do another colour strip? meaning it’s not removed all the colour build up? The one we used was colour B4, I’ve only ever once done a colour strip about 15 years ago! Could anyone advise what they would try next?
Today I did a strand test of bleach with 12% and it still stayed ginger even after 50 minutes but the hair did stay in tact,see pics attached,
I used colour touch 6/75 which she was happy with but now not sure how to get her blonder?

Attachments

• 9207948A-A225-41E1-8CCF-5EBC5E9167A8.jpeg
    9207948A-A225-41E1-8CCF-5EBC5E9167A8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • D5065D87-D82D-450E-931F-202F281C856C.jpeg
    D5065D87-D82D-450E-931F-202F281C856C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
I haven’t used colourB4 as it’s marketed to clients and isn’t a professional brand, so I honestly don’t know whether it works well or not.

Please read the link below so that you have a much better understanding of how colour reducers work. You’ll see that if you’re removing a build up of colour from repeated applications of box dyes, the ammonia in the original box dye colours will have lifted the natural colour before depositing the artificial colour and that’s why you’re left with hair that’s a lighter colour than the roots, when you’ve removed all the artificial colour. If hair is heavily saturated with repeated colour applications, I’d aim to use a colour reducer at least twice.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/colour-reducers-versus-colour-strippers.315126/

I haven’t used colourB4 as it’s marketed to clients and isn’t a professional brand, so I honestly don’t know whether it works well or not.

Please read the link below so that you have a much better understanding of how colour reducers work. You’ll see that if you’re removing a build up of colour from repeated applications of box dyes, the ammonia in the original box dye colours will have lifted the natural colour before depositing the artificial colour and that’s why you’re left with hair that’s a lighter colour than the roots, when you’ve removed all the artificial colour. If hair is heavily saturated with repeated colour applications, I’d aim to use a colour reducer at least twice.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/colour-reducers-versus-colour-strippers.315126/
Thank you so much for your reply, and for the link, so much info, great,
I did think we’d need to do it again but I think I’ll get one from the wholesalers next time, unfortunately she’d already bought it before I got one!
We put a semi colour on after as that’s what it said to use on the box, which did cover really well, (although I didn’t know to use one 2 shades lighter) and this looked quite red still! So can I ask if I did the process again, would it still work on colour touch?

Yes, it will work on any oxidised colour (so that’s any tint that has to be mixed with developer).

Honestly, if you can get your head around the ins and out of colour reducers, you can blow the competition out of the water by offering clients a return to light blonde in one slightly longer appointment. :)

Save them time and money and no degradation of the hair either. Point out to your clients that they can pay a bit more in the one session to get to blonde or several appointments for bleach highlights to hopefully reach their blonde goals in a few months time, but their hair will be dryer and it will end up costing them more money.

Unfortuantly uou cant colour or bleach straight after colour B4.. ot just re-oxidises and end up darker or bk to colour you started with., i made this mistake and no amount of bleaching would work..we ended up doin red semi

Unfortuantly uou cant colour or bleach straight after colour B4.. ot just re-oxidises and end up darker or bk to colour you started with., i made this mistake and no amount of bleaching would work..we ended up doin red semi

That’s why I said I only use professional brand colour reducers. You should re-colour after using a reducer, if only to tone the raw exposed colour pigment.

Latest posts

Back