Colour wheels - bad finish on them with polish - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailGal

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

You know those little colour wheels with the plastic nails on, that you can paint as a sample? I seem to be having trouble with mine.

When I paint traditional nail polish on them, I can't get a good finish. It goes all shrivelled/ wrinkled looking.
I've tried base coat, no base coat, removing shine from the plastic, not removing shine, top coat, no top coat. It's like when it dries, it evaporates from the false nail in such away that the finish shrinks?
Has anyone else got this trouble? Any ideas how to combat it?
Thanks for any help x

Mine to gets a wrinkly finish, I to have done everything to combat it, but found when I remove the polish with non-acetone remover the nail is sort of rough like it's melted if that makes sense.

That's exactly it Storme....I've no idea how to stop it from happening.
What worries me is that when customers are looking at my polish samples, they might think my nail polishing skills are rubbish!
I also think the crinkly surface alters any effect of the polish, as I think it ruins the look of pearlised and frosted polishes.

Any other geeks got this issue? Anyone got a solution? I think you'd be my hero if you did! :) x

Have you tried painting the underside instead of the surface?

Have you tried painting the underside instead of the surface?

I tried this last night, but hasn't really helped -although I really appreciate the response.
It looked great initially as obviously had a smooth plastic top side, but it still dried the same, so ended up looking like wrinkly, melted nail varnish underneath the plastic!

Please anybody, have any solutions? I think some people with more experience in the business (than me) must have encountered and overcome this!
Thanks! X

Could try a thin layer of acrylic 1st x

Maybe etch the surface to remove the shine? It would have something to stick to then x

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

I have never had a problem with my colour wheels. The colour goes on smooth and looks great. Mine are the cream coloured ones not the really clear ones.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

I use clear coloured wheels from s2 and mines are fine.

Maybe they're not good quality? Or are you using acetone on them as this would melt the plastic.

Before I polish mine (and they are super cheap. $6 for 10 of them) I lightly remove shine with a high grit buffer. You might have some sort of oil on them which is causing it to not want to adhere smoothly. Wipe down with alcohol first as this will remove oil n debris without melting the plastic.

Hi geeks!

You know those little colour wheels with the plastic nails on, that you can paint as a sample? I seem to be having trouble with mine.

When I paint traditional nail polish on them, I can't get a good finish. It goes all shrivelled/ wrinkled looking.
I've tried base coat, no base coat, removing shine from the plastic, not removing shine, top coat, no top coat. It's like when it dries, it evaporates from the false nail in such away that the finish shrinks?
Has anyone else got this trouble? Any ideas how to combat it?
Thanks for any help x

Where did you get your from?

Latest posts

Back