Comedones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty28

Reaction score
Hiya, I’ve done a facial on my friend’s friend. What exactly happened that it was only booked for paraffin wax facial and it took me 1hr 45mins to complete as she got loads of comedones on her forehead, upper part of cheek and chin (which obviously not mentioned to me on the phone).

I’ve never seen a face with that many comedones and she expects me to remove all. Her skin type was oily T-zone and dry to normal cheeks. From the conversation, found out she doesn’t use much cleanser for her face or not at all.

Do you think I should charge separately for comedone extraction as it took me extra 30mins and I don’t even able to count how many I’ve extracted. :rolleyes: (I will not bother about it if it's only a few)

Or I should have said that it needed to be treated specially so there will be extra on top of paraffin facial. I feel like being ripped off and it killed my back for bending such a long time. :sad:

Please advise, in future if I come across someone like her again, at least I will know whether to do it or charge it on top of the treatment provide.

Thanks in advance!

On my treatment list i have different facials, so i wouldnt do any extracting in say a relaxing facial. maybe you could have a specific facial for concentrating on "skin problems" and then next time you have someone who books in for a facial you can advise them of which one to have. Therefore covering your time in your prices.

Thanks for your reply High Hopes. Because I'm a starter, didn't thought about it in depth. Really apreciated about your advise. Next time if it happend again, then I will introduce them to do special facial for skin problem. Many thanks

When someone books in I normally ask what kind of facial they are after, and if it's going to involve commedone extraction it's reflected in the time/price. When I do the consultation & examine the face I use that time to decide the treatment procedure & how much time I shall be spending where, i.e. if there are a lot of commedones I spend less time elsewhere in the treatment. I also tend to explain it is unrealistic to expect all commedones to be removed in one go, especially if there are lots in close proximity as you don't want to overtreat the area & cause unnecessary trauma - far better to advise on skincare that will reduce their appearance.

Chalk it down to experience - it's how we all get better at our jobs!

Last edited:
Are we talking about proper comedones that when squeezed spill out or those weeny little black open pores that you can barely shift without a huge amount of discomfort redness and pressure.To my mind if its the second its completely pointless removing them they come back almost straight away.A good on going skincare regime that doesn't strip the skin too much and no squeezing at all is better for this type of 'blackhead'.

I agree addressing the skincare is essential in he long term - otherwise any extraction is fighting a losing battle!

It seems most commedones are caused by excessive keratinisation rather than oil, i.e. inefficient dequammation. I've found proper cleansing & exfoliation, along with the addressing of its cause gets the long-lasting results (the poor natural desquammation is often due to lack of free water to allow the enzymes to break down the desmosomes holding the cells together, so I agree wholeheartedly that a non 'skin-stripping' routine is the answer).

Thanks for your reply Martin-Duffy. That’s what I have did, I reduce the time in massage in order to catch up and rush myself at the end to clean up and setup for the next client.

Luckily, I’ve kept a gap of 45mins between the bookings for clean up, setup and a break. Obviously not able to take a short break and have killed my back (due to bad back).

I’ve learned a new lesson today -How to handle similar situation and will speak up for myself. Thanks for your advise again.

Hi Gillian and Martin, Yes it was the second type, blackhead, hard and take ages to extract. Did advise her to have proper skin care routine and exfoliate at least once a week. Hope she will listen and thanks for the replies. :)

I agree addressing the skincare is essential in he long term - otherwise any extraction is fighting a losing battle!

It seems most commedones are caused by excessive keratinisation rather than oil, i.e. inefficient dequammation. I've found proper cleansing & exfoliation, along with the addressing of its cause gets the long-lasting results (the poor natural desquammation is often due to lack of free water to allow the enzymes to break down the desmosomes holding the cells together, so I agree wholeheartedly that a non 'skin-stripping' routine is the answer).

And there's the science behind it glad someone knows :)

I've found one of the best overall books on skincare science is Florence Barrett-Hill's "Advanced Skin Analysis". Certainly a million miles away from what they used to (or still?!) teach at college!

You have just pre empted my question Martin, regarding a decent skin care book. Im sick of the superficial approach to skincare in the level 3 core textbooks. Thank you, will invest in this book :)
x

Latest posts

Back