Commission?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eden70

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to set my commission rates for my staff?

i took over a more than slightly failing salon three months ago and temporarily stopped paying commission to the staff (They weren't actually earning any anyway!!) but now I want to show my appreciation to them for sticking by me in a difficult period by paying them commission again.

I am just a bit confused as to what is acceptable and how to work it out. i thought about over £1,000 @ 10% is that too stingy/generous? what about over £2,000 (I wish!!!) @ 15% or 20%

Please help me, I am so :confused:

Tracy

I worked in a shoe shop and it was after I'd sold three times my wage for the day, I would get 5%.

I'd say anything 3 times weekly wage (if you pay weekly or monthly etc) 5 - 10%.

I don't currently do this, I do a different 'bonus' scheme, but that seems common from what I've read on here.

Last edited:
When I worked in a salon I got 30% of what I made or £6 per hour, whichever was highest but that was 5yrs ago x

Funny you ask this as ive been Researching on here the past couple of days for answers to this exact question in regards to hairdressers(dunno what staff you were talking about... Or if it makes a difference if its hair or beauty etc..)! A popular answer (as in i seen it mentioned a fair few times on various threads) was to pay 10% when they have brought in double their wage. (their wage was min wage) I read a few posts which mentioned commision only after bringing in 3x.their wage... I personally think just a 10% commison after bringing in 3x your wage is a bit insulting and a bit tight. Maybe a higher percentage than 10% if you want to stick to something like 3x their wages? Thats easy for me to say though as im not the one giving away my profits haha. I just think Hairdressers work really freaking hard and i think the hard work should be rewarded. X

Hi,

I set a commission scheme up in January for my staff. They are on just above minimum wage, and once they have bought in enough sales to over their wages plus product costs, I pay them 10% of anything thereafter! I know this is very generous, and of course I have T&C's linked to this. They also get staff discount, and a friends and family discount. I really look after my staff, as they look after me and they deserve it!!

Having said that, the commission will be reviewed in Jan 2013, and I may need to change it as I'm not sure the business can continue to give this much away sadly....

Hth? Xx

Its usually at 5% once 3 times wage is made, and 10% for products sold once they sell anything Over a price you set, ie a grands worth of products ( though i thought that was really tight tbh and the target should've been a lot lower)I've worked in places where no commission is in place also.it depends what you can afford really?

I currently pay £6.10 per hour as a standard rate then for every beauty treatment preformed they can earn a pound per hour. So and ebw is 15 mins and 25p. If they are working solid they can up their hourly wage to £7.10. I have a polocy in the staff handbook which sets out the amount of time allowed for each treatment and I paybuy that not how long they take. All industry standard times. Soemtimes they run over but dont get the extra, but lots of the time they finish quicker and still get paid the set amount. I find it an easier that way. Both therapists have a piece of paper where they fill in their treatments I then tally it up at the end of the week and pay accordingly.

I currently pay £6.10 per hour as a standard rate then for every beauty treatment preformed they can earn a pound per hour. So and ebw is 15 mins and 25p. If they are working solid they can up their hourly wage to £7.10. I have a polocy in the staff handbook which sets out the amount of time allowed for each treatment and I paybuy that not how long they take. All industry standard times. Soemtimes they run over but dont get the extra, but lots of the time they finish quicker and still get paid the set amount. I find it an easier that way. Both therapists have a piece of paper where they fill in their treatments I then tally it up at the end of the week and pay accordingly.

I love this ideal and I'm going to save for my future salon ;)
It's great as it will encourage staff to fit in as many clients and not turn away small walk ins etc!
As an employee I would of loved the opportunity to earn an extra £1 per hr and I probably would link in extra services ie ebw with clients to "fill" my nxt 15 mins / 1/2 hr .

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. It has given me a lot to think about!!

Tx

Hi,
This seems like a really good idea and could make the staff work more efficiently. could you give me an idea of how you have your sheets laid out and what details you have on them please? Thanks

Latest posts

Back