Communication with clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallyxxx

Reaction score
I have owned a beauty salon for just under 2 years now and I can happily say that it's doing really well but like everything it could always be better. The one thing we struggle with the most in our salon is being able to answer the phone all the time due to being so busy. If we are all in treatment we don't leave our client to answer the phone as we personally feel this looks unprofessional and potentially means we could end up running over for the rest of the day. We are obviously aware that we are missing out on future bookings by not doing this. We do have an answer machine message which some people don't like to use. We also have online booking as well as social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and finally we also have an email address.

I would just like to get some advice on how other salons get around this as I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with this. We are only a small salon I have a business partner and we have 1 other therapist working for us, we aren't really in a position to be taking on a receptionist at the moment as I know this would be a lot of people's response to this it's something we would love for the future but right now we aren't able to.

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback and advice.

We always excuse ourselves to answer the phone if it's a treatment that can be excused from. I personally believe it shows the client that you do care and somebody will answer the phone if they need to contact you for anything. Most people are understanding and something along the lines of "I'm sorry, do you mind if I just grab that" tends to do the trick followed by apologising when you return

My friend in her salon has an answer machine "welcome to x, we appreciate your call but are currently assisting other clients in treatments. We are more than happy to help with your enquiry so please leave your name and number with a short message and we will call you back. We look forward to speaking to you soon!" Then slot say 20min at lunch and end of day to make calls. X

I'd say to also make an alloted time in your day where you could possibly tell clients that it's best to ring?

Obviously this is only really good for existing clients but worth telling them at their appointments.

I personally would find it frustrating if I could never get hold of someone but I wouldn't mind as much if I could text /Facebook... So, at least you have those in place.

How many calls are you missing each day? I guess if there's a few calls they could potentially be worth quite a lot of money which would maybe pay your receptionists wage...

What about hiring a virtual receptionist service? They are companies with a team of receptionists who take calls on your behalf. You can just switch on the service (re-route your number to them) whenever you're busy in treatments. It should be a great deal cheaper than employing someone in-house to take your calls but still gives your clients that personal element and a professional front of house image....You supply the service with details of your company and their receptionists answer on your behalf with your specific wording and any additional information you give them. The company I've just been looking at then sends you details, in an email, of the call they just answered along with a copy of the voice recording of the call. They seem to charge per bundle of calls answered. The one I found quotes £64.99 (ex VAT) for 100 calls answered & you can choose different monthly bundles i.e. for less calls answered = less monthly charge. No doubt there are even cheaper deals out there to. A quick Google search of 'virtual receptionist' and you'll be spoilt for choice of companies offering this service. Hope this helps :)

We are a small salon and excuse ourselves to answer the phone - if we are really busy then it goes onto the answer machine. There are always people who don't like leaving messages but our phone records the numbers of all callers so we can ring them back between clients. All our clients understand ( by employing a receptionist the cost of treatments would have to go up ) good luck Diane x

I don't leave a client, they're paying for my time.

I have an answer phone and a booking system. They can use those.

If they pop in, I excuse myself then.

I never leave a client either. Personally I wouldn't like it, as like Grace says they are paying for your time. All my missed calls are logged on my phone so I always call clients back whether they have left a message or not. Most clients that I speak to (that haven't left a message) are impressed I have called them back lol! My voicemail just explains I am in a treatment atm so unable to take their call. xx

I think most people understand that small salons won't have someone there all the time. On our answer machine, we say that they can book online, text or leave a message. As long as you get back to people quickly, I don't think people mind x

Omg I'm so rude then :eek: I always answer the phone every time it rings! I'm hair tho so maybe that a bit more forgivable? I'd never thought of it as being rude :( people usually say how lovley it is that I'm so busy after I answer it. Maybe I'll ask if they mind if I get it next time :)

Omg I'm so rude then :eek: I always answer the phone every time it rings! I'm hair tho so maybe that a bit more forgivable? I'd never thought of it as being rude :( people usually say how lovley it is that I'm so busy after I answer it. Maybe I'll ask if they mind if I get it next time :)
I think hair is different. I'm in beauty and I own a small salon. I never leave to answer the phone. You never know how long it will take and it puts me behind on time. I have book online and text available which I say in my voicemail message. Most people just book online anyway, it's a real life saver. On saturdays, I con my mom or boyfriend in to reception by ways of free spa services haha!

Hire 16-18 year old Level 1 beauty therapy student for weekends :) yes it is a gamble, but you have to pay only £3.87 ph and it would be a great experience for a young beauty therapist.
I believe in that age you can handle phone calls and checking in people and making tea or coffee :)

Ahh, see im fine with my hair stylist popping off to answer the phone but not my beauty therapist!

Not sure if that makes me weird lol!

xx

I will stop to answer phone a max of twice if with a client. After that I let the answerphone get it which tells them to leave a message for a call back or book online. I normally ask client if they mind if I take the call and they never say no but sometimes you can just sense when not to or if they are in a hurry. If my stylist is in we take it in turns. It's annoying how you can have been sat on reception for a bit & no calls but the minute someone sits in your chair it goes crazy!

I'll be honest I've got a bit p'd off when my hairdresser leaves me for the third time to take a call. Even worse when it's family and she chats away. I've done it when doing nails/pedi or front of house treatments but if it keeps ringing I think it's rude so I just say "I'll pop that on silent" and we all chill x

Hire 16-18 year old Level 1 beauty therapy student for weekends :) yes it is a gamble, but you have to pay only £3.87 ph and it would be a great experience for a young beauty therapist.
I believe in that age you can handle phone calls and checking in people and making tea or coffee :)
Yes and get a headache in the bargain by having to constantly nag them to do their job

I'd feel terrible only paying someone that much an hour. I know it's the going rate but at the age I was earning £7.50 an hour and would feel like I was taking advantage. I must be a soft touch! Ha x

Yes and get a headache in the bargain by having to constantly nag them to do their job
Thats why I mentioned that it is a gamble, not everybody is the same. :)

I'd feel terrible only paying someone that much an hour. I know it's the going rate but at the age I was earning £7.50 an hour and would feel like I was taking advantage. I must be a soft touch! Ha x
I wouldn't feel bad, because you are giving them a chance to gain some experience in actual working world.
You are teaching them how and what to do, so it is not the same as hiring somebody with decent work experience and knowledge.

Thats why I mentioned that it is a gamble, not everybody is the same. :)
All I've had this age are all the same shame as I'm sure your right and there is the odd one out there who would work hard

Latest posts

Back