Companies House- registering your name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Ive read on here someone mentioning companies house and registering your name and logo, how do you go about this, as ive looked on the website, and maybe im silly but im stumped!

Also, i know there are other mobile/salons in the area that have popped up called fake it, does this mean i wouldnt be able to do it?

Thank you x

Do you have a salon or are you mobile. Registering your company as a Ltd company has all sorts of paperwork associated with it. You really need to know what it means to be a limited business entity and why you want to be one before you jump in and do it.

For the record though there are lots of Fake It xyz Ltd businesses registered already but Fake It Beauty Ltd has not been taken yet so yes, you could still get that one.

Try registering it as a trade mark, Intellectual Property Office - Trade marks - I think it costs a couple of hundred quid to do that, but can take a few months to complete successfully.

If you manage to do that successfully, then you should be able to claim trademark infringement against anyone who has used the name "Fake It" for less time than you - although in my opinion it would be reasonable to only use that course of action for people fairly local to you that you consider to be a direct threat to your business (unless you were at the stage where you had the plans and resources to start a franchise or a national chain of salons).

I don't think you need to be a limited company to register a trademark either (and it's certainly possible for limited companies to trademark names other than their registered company name too)...

Hi,

Just seen your thread and I may be able to help. My part time job, I work with Ltd companies and dealing with new customers.

Basically, to buy a name for it to be Ltd, it cannot already be existing, BUT you can change it slightly, for example if Salon Geek Ltd was taken, and they will let you know the names available, you could call it Salon Geek (Your Area) Ltd.

The benefit of having a Ltd company is that you have bought the name and no one else can take the exact same one - As far as my knowledge goes. It can get quite complicated with shareholder, director, annual returns etc but your accountant should do most of this for you and advise.

I am not sure that they will protect a logo, but similar companys will.

I hope that helps?

Thanks

Carly x

Hiya, i used to have a ltd company. unless you are going to be a huge business and there are a few on you, don't register as ltd. its so complicated to sort out directorship, legal secretary, shares, etc. Most people working on their own are just down as sole traders. Registering a name you want so that no one else can have it, is totally different to registering as a ltd company. xx

I registerd as ltd with my buisness names

as I wanted to give a degree of protection of my names, I did it through a company called Company Wizard.

As I dont use the names for my buisness yet - I pay £15 per year to file dormant accounts

I also got my names Trademarked and that cost me £250. You have to renew every 10 years I think, you can sell or give names up when you want.

Hi,

You might want to try formations direct - You could call Companies House but they aren't normally able to help until you are a Ltd company with a company number.

Ltd companies are not difficult and not hard to set up. As long as you know who is director etc you submit an annual return each year without changes unless you make changes to the director, secretary or shareholder details, address, personal details. If you have an accountant, or if you don't go and have a consultation with one, you can get a load of advise from them, as they do a lot of setting up clients.

Hope this helps

Carly x

I registerd as ltd with my buisness names

as I wanted to give a degree of protection of my names, I did it through a company called Company Wizard.

As I dont use the names for my buisness yet - I pay £15 per year to file dormant accounts

I also got my names Trademarked and that cost me £250. You have to renew every 10 years I think, you can sell or give names up when you want.

Hi hun,

I've been trying to sort out protection for my business name, you seem like someone who knows the difference between trademarking and making the business LTD? I'm still trying to get my head around it a little bit! Thanks for any info :) xx

Hiya, i used to have a ltd company. unless you are going to be a huge business and there are a few on you, don't register as ltd. its so complicated to sort out directorship, legal secretary, shares, etc. Most people working on their own are just down as sole traders. Registering a name you want so that no one else can have it, is totally different to registering as a ltd company. xx

how do you go about registering as a sole trader?, i mean i haven't got the finances to be a huge company, i work mobile or at home but i really like my company name. how do i register my name?

how do you go about registering as a sole trader?, i mean i haven't got the finances to be a huge company, i work mobile or at home but i really like my company name. how do i register my name?

Just wanted to bump this up as I am trying to find the answer to this. I thought you contacted your local council to find out if anyone in the same area has it or not. Am I wrong??

As sole trader it's all on you. So everything is your name such as John smith trading as smith news. So when you open accounts etc it will all be on your name then trading as your company name. But only thing is you don't register the company name as sole trader you cannot. But think carefully as if something happens later if any treatments go wrong on a client they will sue you as a sole trader. But as limited the company is liable.

Anyway speak to an accountant to get some professional advice.

I'm going as a ltd company for that very reason - somebody wants to sue as a result of my actions - the company is liable not me. They can take me only for the money in the company not what's in my personal bank account, my house, my car etc. it limits the damage. Personal choice but I like that level of distance as I don't know what loonies are out there!!

So can I not register with my council to stop somebody in the same area having the same company name? I do not have the money at the moment to go through companies house to register that way!

Trading names are nothing to do with the council so they won't be able to help. It's not a council issue.

Ohh! Is there no other way of me registering the name then without becoming a limited company as this seems to be a lot of paperwork and costs quite a bit whilst I am still setting myself up?

I can't say there is no way but as far as I know there isn't really. Even as limited company people can copy your name. For example if you set up something like Crazy Nails Ltd someone can register Crazy Nails UK Ltd! There will be nothing you can do about this. It will cost you about £26 to register your limited your company and if you want to protect your name you will need to do paperwork you can't expect to take short cuts if you want to protect your company.

Also go on Intellectual Property Office - Welcome to the Intellectual Property Office and register your company name as a trademark then if someone else registers the same name you can show them your trademark and you can ask them to change their name. But someone may have already have one so have a search and see......

Latest posts

Back