Complaint that I am ladies only

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helb2112

Reaction score
Hi All,

Feeling really deflated right now. I have just started my business and work alone from home. I have had a message from a male client asking for a full body massage. I replied with, I'm very sorry but I am currently a female only salon. He has messaged me a rude message asking why? And that he is very disappointed with my service and will take his business elsewhere. I've made the mistake of not making this clear on my website which I will now do right away. But I'm not sure whether I should reply ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't reply personally as what is left to say? If he has been rude then don't give him the opportunity to upset you further.

X

Don't reply, there is nothing you need to say.
Genuine guys would say they didn't realise that you were ladies only and ask if you could recommend some one.

Ones like this are only trouble!

Lol at 'take his business elsewhere'.

Just ignore him. He was probably a dodgy type anyway.

Clients are not royalty. You don't have to doff your cap to them or be unfailingly polite back if their behaviour doesn't warrant it.

I don't think people should assume anything negative about this person just because he is surprised & irritated that she is women only.

There is no reason to suggest he is anything other than genuinely disappointed/taken aback at being refused service due to his sex. It could be construed as quite insulting to be denied treatment due to being a man as there is an insinuation that men are untrustworthy predators.

I totally understand being women only & you have the right to run your business how you see fit. But his annoyance, to me, is more likely to indicate honest intentions.

I would respond courteously but briefly explaining that due to the intimate nature of treatments you have chosen to be women only & that you are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I think one should always be civil & respectful even if that is not how the other party behaves.

In a world brimming with review platforms I would always aim to minimise any ill feeling towards my brand & a polite response would do so.

I had this when I told him I didn't offer male intimate waxing. I didn't offer female intimate either. He was very angry. I was, like you rather upset. I think some people do it for a wind up. I never treated men on my own at home and you're well within your rights to say this. I do however have a masseuse friend who does guys and a waxing salon that does male intimate that I recommend x

Don't worry about it. Your self employed and its your choice not to do male clients. Xx

Hi All,

Feeling really deflated right now. I have just started my business and work alone from home. I have had a message from a male client asking for a full body massage. I replied with, I'm very sorry but I am currently a female only salon. He has messaged me a rude message asking why? And that he is very disappointed with my service and will take his business elsewhere. I've made the mistake of not making this clear on my website which I will now do right away. But I'm not sure whether I should reply ?

Yes I would just leave a message saying you've amended your website and sorry for the inconvenience. He may have been a pillock about it but if you're feeling bad then it'll close the issue for you.

I get enquiries from men every now & then, and like you I'm 'ladies only'. Most are totally fine & accepting, but I do try to recommend an alternative rather than a flat 'no'. I did have one guy who was persistent.... when I told him it's a ladies only salon he replied "But I'm gay" Haha... and ?!?! ;)

The gay comment really irks me. I had one say that too: do you do naked massage? And then another text 2 secs later: and nothing dodgy cause I'm gay. Errrr what?! Needless to say he got blanked.

Quite frankly this guy sounds like an idiot, regardless of his agenda. You just don't be rude to people.

Can I ask what sites you advertise on? I found a few got me these messages and they were all wanting happy endings...

No need to send a response. I find the majority of people who are genuine will send you an email or pick up the phone and call you. I don't generally run my business through texts unless I've met them before and I explain I might take a while to respond to them cause I'm busy too. x

The gay comment really irks me. I had one say that too: do you do naked massage? And then another text 2 secs later: and nothing dodgy cause I'm gay. Errrr what?! Needless to say he got blanked.

Quite frankly this guy sounds like an idiot, regardless of his agenda. You just don't be rude to people.

Can I ask what sites you advertise on? I found a few got me these messages and they were all wanting happy endings...

No need to send a response. I find the majority of people who are genuine will send you an email or pick up the phone and call you. I don't generally run my business through texts unless I've met them before and I explain I might take a while to respond to them cause I'm busy too. x
Thanks for your reply. Yes your right, regardless of his intentions he seems like a bit of a pain and very rude. I advertise only on Facebook and on a local dress type site. I can't believe how many men expect more than just a massage !

I do wonder at what point they think we turn from beauty therapists into sex workers!

As if you'd ask any other profession to 'sort you out' 'finish you off ' or give you a 'happy ending'.

Vic x

Don't reply. You don't need to justify your choices.

Shocking. I'm sticking to nails :)

Can I ask, out of interest, what happens when you get such a request during a massage? Do you kick them out there and then or finish the massage session? Are they ever rebooked?

How about a sign saying "any lewd suggestions will result in your fee being doubled on this occasion and a ban thereafter"

I can't believe the disrespect shown to this industry.

I stop right there and give them a choice. They take the suggestion back and apologise, or they leave immediately.
I've been doing massage for 7 years and this kind of thing gets old very quickly.

Hi All,

I think it's completely understandable - you may feel isolated in your beauty room, you may work on your own. If it's not your thing then running your own business is up to you. I run a hair/beauty salon, we do accept men, there are a number of staff here - we have a cordless bell in the beauty room - you can put the buttons anywhere and have the bell in a different place - we've never had any problems. It might be quite lucrative to tap into the male market though - IF you feel comfortable. The only bad experience I've had at a beauticians is that I wanted a spray tan and they were insistent that I wore boxer shorts/trunks - it ended up looking that I had brown stockings on!!

I once had a salon and a male was booking in for a massage once or twice a week. I don't do massage but a member of staff did and I would always go up and be on the counter whilst she was doing the massage. One night after the massage she went out of the room to put some towels in the wash and when she went back in the man was playing with himself. She didn't tell me at the time until he left the salon. She was mortified. We was both waiting for the next time he was due to come in to tell him we couldn't do them anymore but he didn't come back after that.

You do what's right for you and don't feel you have to justify your decisions to anybody x

Latest posts

Back