Complaints Procedure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingfairy

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Do you have a complaints procedure to follow in the event of an unhappy customer? Basically I have been asked to put one together and am not quite sure what steps to include.

Obviously I know listening is the key but i am looking for idea's of how i can turn negatives to positives?

Thank you so much for your help.

xxx

Who has asked you to do this? Is it for your own use or by other staff etc?

I don't know if we are on the same page here, but as every complaint will be different, I remember when I worked for a small chain of shops, the complaints procedure was something along the lines of:

Complaint in first instance to be referred to... (insert name of manager/supervisor here). Response to be made in writing/by telephone/face to face (dependent upon how the complaint was made and client preference) within x number of days.
If this does not resolve the issue then the client may complain in writing to....(head office/store manager/other more senior person) who is to give written response within x days.
If this does not resolve the issue then the complaint must be referred to the insurance company/governing body.

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

From my experience in finance (where being yelled at is unfortunately quiet common)..

First step is body language. Listening attentively to clients complaint without interrupting. Nodding where appropriate and maintaining eye contact.

Next is paraphrasing the clients complaint to show you heard what they said and understand. Important to do so without actually saying you understand. For example "I can hear that you are really disappointed in your cut as you specifically requested blah."

Next ask the client what outcome they would like. Do not just offer a refund, as this may not be what they want, and you are letting them leave without resolving the issue. If their request is reasonable - go ahead and do it! If you can't accommodate their request explain what you are able to do. Emphasis on what you can do rather than what you can't.

Only one person should be involved in resolving the complaint so client does not feel intimidated or ganged up on. Managers should stand back even when listening until invited to join discussion. Whoever handles complaint should do so with confidence so client is reassured they can handle situation.

Always remain respectful, never engage in an argument. However there does need to be boundaries for staff safety. Customers that become overly aggressive or violent should be informed immediately that the police are being contacted and that they are required to leave the premises.

If you successfully resolve a complaint for a client and have them leave satisfied they are much more likely to advocate for your business, even more so then if they had gotten the correct service initially (weird). I would call that a definite positive.

I would also recommend followup call from management for serious complaints.

Long winded but hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back