complete nail lifted from nail bed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanleyann

squeeky macgeeky
Reaction score
this might be a bit long so bear with me :|

i done a set of sculpts on my friend last night for her hen night, when i started i asked her what she had on her nails as they looked like there was some kind of coating on them but she said there was nothing on them.....so i carried on, done my prep thoroughly, done the acrylics then carried on shaping and buffing them........
when i was buffing some of the nails the acrylic seemed to be lifting away from the cuticle area, i thought i had maybe not pressed the acrylic down properly onto the nail plate.....i was a bit worried about it as it was on 2 nails but my friend didnt have time to get them soaked off and redone so she said not to worry as she only wanted them on for her hen night tomorrow anyway......
so i finished them off and they did look good apart from the 2 bits of lifting

anyway she phoned me today to say that 9 of the nails had lifted right off the nail plate and were only attached at the free edge.......she said they had come off looking like the stick on nails you get....the pinkie nail was was the only one perfectly attached to the nail plate :|

i went through all my prep, how i applied the acrylic....i used fresh monomer....i did not do anything different to what i normaly do so i am very confused :|

after i spoke to her today i applied a sculpt to myself plus i done an infill on one of the nails i still had on from my training and they are fine....no lifting at all....i was worried that it may even have been my brush that was contaminated but as i said my own nails are fine

plus i done an infill on a set of nails i done three weeks ago and they are fine, there was hardly any lifting there at all

i'm very confused about how this happened.....can anyone suggest anything that could have caused this?

stanleyann

You need to site them and see what's happened for yourself..

Clients will so often say this or that happened, but only visual confirmation will help you! For all you know she did get a little lifting, then got in there and pried them off... (some clients call this "falling off")

I think, based on your description of what you did, that you will find bits of nail plate stuck to the underside of the product.. and most likely trauma to the natural nail.

If the plate underneath is clean and smooth then it hasn't bonded at all..
Which could be possible if there was some other product underneath.

Hth

Hi,

I am a bit concerned by the fact that you say 2 nails were already lifting before you had even finished........Why ?.....Could it be that your product had touched the cuticle area?......
If that had happened on these 2 could that also be the case on the others.......?

Then if they had lifted...your client would have been able to prise them off......and then tell you they fell off.....as Envy has already stated...

Also when you say her nails seemed to have a coating I am not sure what you mean, what did her nails look like?...was it just a clear polish you could have removed with polish remover?.....although surely this coating would have been removed during prep.....

things do still lean towards it being your application especially with the 2 that lifted right away......what do you think yourself...after all you saw them.

i started to prep her nails after she had washed with antibacterial cleanser and i then used cool blue......when i looked at her nails they looked shiny and i thought they had some sort of coating on them, maybe clear polish or top coat but she said there wasnt anything on them.......

i then prepped with my fade away and pro pusher, removed any fade away residue then took the shine off the nail with my grey fox....easy bonded twice then primed twice........

i then applied the acrylic and when i was finishing the nails thats when i noticed 2 were beginning to lift.....i was very carefull not to touch the cuticle with the acrylic so i know that was not the problem........

the next day all the nails had lifted apart from the pinkie nail on one hand.....the nails were only attched at the free edge and had lifted off the full nail plate.........

i seen the nails this morning and they certainly had not been prised or picked off, they were intact......the only bit of damage was where my friend pulled them off at the free edge where they were still attached and it had left her natural free edge a bit rough........

as i said yesterday after hearing what happened i done a sculpted nail on myself and it was fine and i also done an infill on a nail which was fine too and last week i done a set of infills on a friend who i had put a set of tips on 2 weeks previous and they were also fine

i really dont know what happened or what could have gone wrong :(

stanleyann

When you did PREP did you use cuticle remover over the whole of the nail plate and did it go a creamy cloudy colour to show that cuticle had come off the surface(your PREP products are different to mine so do not know if they included cuticle remover)? If it didnt go cloudy then it sure sounds like she DID have some sort of coating on her nails. Has she been putting any treatment on them, sometimes clients do not tell us the whole story. After the overlays came off did her nail plate still look shiny? Apart from an incredibly oily nail plate or some kind of treatment I cant think what it could be. Are you going to try another set?

rgds Marilyn

I once had a lady who said she had nothing on her nails...but they did look a bit like they did...so to be on the safe side i used some acetone remover and then they looked fine...later she told me she had some matt sally hanson stuff on to nourish them...Doh...xx

i've had probs getting that sally hansen stuff off too.....looked like a very shiney coating - doesnt come off with normal nail polish remover or scrubfresh even very well......well it does if you scrub and scrub at it.

amb x

To be safe I always before prep go over the nails with some acetone remover.

I find that some people use that nail strenther this might be Sally Hanson, this is really hard to get off also has a slight shine to it.

Caz xx

its one of my best friends so i know she wouldnt lie to me about her nails, she has always been upfront and told me she has picked them off before but i know this time she didnt because i seen the lifting before she left on wednesday night plus i saw the nails and they were complete with no signs of picking......

the only thing i can think of is i didnt clean away the residue of the fade away thoroughly before i applied the acrylic but as i said i done what i normally do and i've never had this problem before :|

thanks for all your help

stanleyann

i forgot to add that she is slightly dippit at times and has a terrible memory so chances are she might have had something on her nails and forgot about it :rolleyes:

i am going to do her another set for her wedding in december so hopefully they will be ok

stanleyann

Hi Stanleyann, I would do a set on her well before her wedding to make sure the same thing doesn't happen on the big day itself and also because you really want to get to the bottom of this issue for your own learning curve!

Latest posts

Back