Confused by trademarks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
I've asked about registering etc. before and found people to have been very helpful. But I am still confused by trademarked names. The name I want comes up a few times in the IPO list but none seem to relate to nails. I don't want to go in head first and get fined for using a TM, but I've no idea where to start. Legal advice maybe?

You need to look at the area your business would come under - it's shown as a number. For some reason, I think it's number 44 but I'm not sure. You then need to see if the name you want is registered under that category. If the name you want is registered under a different category such as retail, you're good to go.

If the name you want is registered under the category you want, then avoid.

A lot of people don't check and you can end up having to change your business name, printing and so on.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Ahhhh that makes sense! Thank you! I had checked but didn't realise it was only if it fell under the specific number. I just thought if it was registered it was a no go. So helpful, thank you.

I'm guessing if someone goes on to register one day they could try and make you change your name?

They can but it's a lot harder if you can prove that you've been using the name as an established business.

Vic x

How good is your memory. It is 44. And nothing registered. Now to decide if I definitely want the name! Do I have to do anything else or can I go ahead and stat designing logos and collateral?

Check if your website is available x

Yeah that's fine, done all that. I just mean anything 'Oficial'. Just need a think first to make sure I def like the name for a home salon.

Good luck x

Where do we stand with businesses with the same name in America? Found that there's a nail bar with same name there. I guess it would mean I struggle to get to the top of google too.

Where do we stand with businesses with the same name in America? Found that there's a nail bar with same name there. I guess it would mean I struggle to get to the top of google too.

Not really. If you get the .co.uk domain name that's fine. Google uk and google US are different search engines.

As long as they don't hold a trademark in your country it's fine.

That's fine then. Just found a nail salon in us that comes up when I google but I guess a good website builder could help

That's fine then. Just found a nail salon in us that comes up when I google but I guess a good website builder could help

A good web designer yes,
A self build web builder no :)

I think the trouble is I've found the name I want is a big salon in New York so that's probably not good!

I seriously wouldn't worry about new York.

Have you got the website for .co.uk? I bought .com as well just so I had them both.

If you're concerned, get your trademark sorted before you do anything else, then there's no stopping you x

Co.uk is available but when I search google it's coming up as one of the best salons in New York! It's the only thing holding me back at the minute.

If you want to trademark is it expensive?

Co.uk is available but when I search google it's coming up as one of the best salons in New York! It's the only thing holding me back at the minute.

If you want to trademark is it expensive?

Honestly stop worrying.
It's £75.00 per class you want to register in I believe.

I'm an indecisive person 😉 haha. It's only a small home salon so don't want to oversell myself and muck it all up.

Looks like it's £200.

Think it's nearer £200 x

Think it's nearer £200 x

Yeah could be right. Maybe it's £175 I'm thinking? Who knows what I'm thinking lol.

I think it is £200. But there's nothing to stop me starting and trademarking later though is there. Says it can take 4 month so would rather get going and look at that later.

Latest posts

Back