confused over tan guide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissConfused

Reaction score
hello

i know posts about tans are so so frequent but can i just say i have done a search and from what i have read it is deoderant, perfume and being out of date that makes a tan guide colour go green. and it seems to be very popular with fake bake products. but none of them apply to me or my partner and we are right now looking like we are about to go hiding with the army with our brown and green camo!

earlier this evening i spray tanned him as i'd done my training for sienna on monday and wanted to go over the movements and order sequence etc. i thought the tan i did on him was was ok. after an hour i thought the colour/application looked far better. i used 8% as he didn't want to go into work looking like he'd been on holiday for 2weeks he said. now literally within the last 40minutes he's gone green on his back and legs. he obviously didn't have perfume on and no deoderant on his legs or back and the solution surely couldn't be off as it was only opened today to do his tan. his face isn't discoloured at all, it looks very natural.

now he also tanned me (me thinking that if i am doing the actual movements they will stick in my head better), i choose 10% for myself and he thought he was spray painting a fence and i ended up looking like i had been sprayed with brown fence paint i ended up that dark! i know guide colours are just that... a guide but is there any reason why with 10% i ended up like that when my partner did me and when i did 2 friends earlier in the week with 10% they looked fine after the tan and from what they said have had no problems. is it because he doesn't know what he is doing (cause i'm obviously such a pro with my 3 tans under my belt haha)? a few hours later (just) i looked in the mirror and i too have a green tinge around the top of my lip and top of my arms and i am very patchy (which is to be expected because of lack of exfoliation). yet i'm confused as this solution was opened a few days ago to tan my friends (who were fine like i said) and i of course haven't had perfume or deoderant on my face or tops of my arms - the places i have had perfume and deoderant (wrists, neck and underarms) are actually ok oddly enough. i don't think it was anything to do with the weather/sweating as surely there would have been more green on me than just my top lip and top of my outer arm? another thing that was odd was that we both have tattoos and i have read and was told on the training that they might end up darker, going off the guide colour they look the same as everywhere else, on both of us!

does anybody have any idea as to why this has happened? i have had a 8% (i did read the guide in my training manual before i chose the 10%) sienna spray tan before (demonstration) and never exfoliated and didn't end up green. it looked fine to be honest.

non of us exfoliated as to be honest i wasn't interested in colour i just wanted to try and get an idea of the movements and order etc. once i have the sequence order sorted then i will perfect the rest. but this has really made me wonder what's going on. i have read that the green will disapear after showering the guide colour off, so i'm not worried i'm just curious as none of the things i have read that make you go green seem to apply.

does anybody have any advice/ideas of why the above could have happened? thank you so much in advance.
x

How are you storing your solution? You don't want your solution to be kept in direct sunlight or anywhere warm. This could perhaps be your problem. Seeing as you sprayed other people earlier in the day and they were fine, then i'm thinking maybe you kept your solution somewhere warm before you used it again to spray yourself and your partner.
I've sprayed loads of people when their armpits have turned green, which is down to deodorant. I've had a couple of people that have had green spots on their wrist which is usually down to perfume.
I've only ever had 2 clients who had green at the base of their back and one of these had really bad green streaks all down her legs as well.
Both of these clients had used Dove when showering prior to the tan.
The problem with Dove is that the PH level is too high, which is why i always advise clients not to use it after having a tan. If they've not rinsed it off properly prior to a tan then it can make the skin go green.
You say you went quite dark when your partner sprayed you with 10%. This could be that he sprayed too much and so the guide colour is a lot darker. Different people have different PH levels on their skin so, you can spray 2 people who have the same skin type and one can come out significantly darker than the other. This is why it's always best to start with the lowest % for your skin type.
Some people can absorb more DHA than others so you never can tell! See how you both look after you have showered.
So, make sure you store your solution correctly, always go for the lowest solution for your skin type for a first tan and ask your clients how their skin reacts in the sun.
If clients are pale and they burn in the sun then i usually start them with an 8%. If they are pale but say they go brown in the sun then i'll probably start them with an 8 or 10 depending on how pale they are.
Different solutions can come out differently though so, an 8% in one brand may come out darker than an 8% of another.
Just practice loads and get to know your solution :D

Hi there,you may find that the green tinge is due to sweat as the weather has been very warm lately.What you could do is wipe arm pits or sweaty areas just before your tan or even give them a blast with the drier on your machine to get rid of any damp patches.Hope this helps?

thank you both! i didn't know having sweat on you could turn you green nor did i know i had such a sweaty top lip! lol! i will def bare that in mind in future! when i showered off this morn i looked a complete and utter mess with patches all over me (guessing that was from not exfoliating) and i have brown arms and chest but an orange face - is there a reason why i am 2 different colours? i tan very well in the sun and go brown and i remember from training we was told if too high % used it could end up making you an orange colour but not sure why just my face would be like that. yeah from what i have read on here and in manual going green where perfume/deoderant had been is common (and that did happen to one of the friends i sprayed the other day) but i didn't have any green in the areas where i would have put perfume/deoderant.

as far as storing solution they are all kept in the box that i received them in, not in direct sunlight.

i keep reading that the darkness of the guide colour means nothing so no point in spraying somebody twice so how i have ended up this colour is beyond me. hope this was just a one off.

thank you again for the advice, will make a note for future! x

I've had a lot of people that sweat especially in this weather and none of them have gone green, so that's a new one on me!
Underarms sweat a lot in this weather so you could always apply a bit of talc to soak it up :D
Also make sure you put the lid back on the bottle straight after as it can oxidise and go green.

i will be honest talking about dabbing people and applying talc is terrifying me, i only did my training on monday so i am def not up to knowing little tips and tricks like that! is there any special kind of talc to use? does it not have any effect on the tan at all? all these professionals (as is always the case!) make everything look so easy and sound so straight forward and when it actually comes to doing it yourself it's a whole different thing. i know with practise you will improve but it's so hard to get it into your head that you are still learning and not to expect perfect results!

i always make sure to put the lid on, i'd hate to knock an open bottle over! could you imagine the mess?
x

Latest posts

Back