Contact dermatitis - blister !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisaB

Reaction score
Hi all,

The main product I use as a nail tech is gel polish (artistic colour gloss or Jessica) recently, my skin has been reacting and getting itchy where the bottle neck ends up resting on my skin. I was trained to hold the bottle while I paint and it feels weird if I don't know. The salon where I also work part time have all of the techs do this. Sometimes if there is gel around the bottle it gets onto my thumb and I get red itchy patches. I have cream and my doctors only suggestion is don't hold the bottle. After a days working yesterday, I had my usual flare up but have managed to get a blister! It was full but has gone down by itself now so just looks gross and the whole area is patchy. Is that normal? And is there tape or anything people use to protect their fingers? I don't really want to wear gloves for application. Thanks!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1477255806.115040.jpg
this is it now, the camera hasn't captured the redness

The problem with allergic reactions is they just get worse unless you stop contact with the allergen. Can you learn to paint without holding the bottle or wipe the neck of the bottle before you hold it so if someone else has left is messy it doesn't get on your skin?

You must protect yourself, as Redduck says, it will only get worse

I wear gloves now, I'm sensitive to acetone. Mine started like yours, this is it at its worst and I can't tell you how sore it was
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1477257720.167051.jpg

Please do nt let yours get like that

I wear gloves now, I'm sensitive to acetone. Mine started like yours, this is it at its worst and I can't tell you how sore it was View attachment 201691

That looks so painful Blossom! When I last wore it my finger tips started to go like that so I took it off straight away. I'm absolutely gutted not to be wearing it! I will definitely wear protection!

The problem with allergic reactions is they just get worse unless you stop contact with the allergen. Can you learn to paint without holding the bottle or wipe the neck of the bottle before you hold it so if someone else has left is messy it doesn't get on your skin?
Thank you lovely, I think I'll have a word with the manager to see if she is okay with me not holding the bottle then get in the habit of not holding it! I think when it's getting on the skin me wiping it off (usually with a lint free pad) is probably not getting it all off either

I just wouldn't hold the bottle like that anymore.... you dont have to. .. because your Employer shouldn't be requesting you to do anything that could harm you.... if she/he playes up... just remind them of section 2 of the h&s at work act

I have seen nail technicians wear some kind of medical tape like the one pictured, I wear it on my index finger as I kept recutting my index finger in the same place when filing so if you struggle without holding the bottle maybe that could help if it's just that area x

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    690.6 KB · Views: 57

I wear gloves now, I'm sensitive to acetone. Mine started like yours, this is it at its worst and I can't tell you how sore it was View attachment 201691

sensitive to acetone? I read from doug schoon that you couldnt develop an allergy to acetone but I have sensitvity when removing enhancements, no blisters just like my fingers feel bruised or something. how did yours start out? I tried using a different 100% only acetone as i thought it could be other ingredients in the nourishing remover but maybe i'm wrong if you have an allergy too?

sensitive to acetone? I read from doug schoon that you couldnt develop an allergy to acetone but I have sensitvity when removing enhancements, no blisters just like my fingers feel bruised or something. how did yours start out? I tried using a different 100% only acetone as i thought it could be other ingredients in the nourishing remover but maybe i'm wrong if you have an allergy too?

I've tried different brands. I've been doing nails 13 years and this developed after 10 or so. I wouldn't call it an allergy as such because if I use it with my left hand it's fine, whereas if it was an allergy I would react whatever part of the body was exposed to it. It's just those same right hand fingers from years and years of the stuff. So I call it a sensitivity.

It started with itching and redness, then small blisters, then splits and sores, cracking and peeling, (so stiff and dry I would put skin healing creams on several times an hour) finally healing, the whole process taking well over a month

I wear disposable gloves when using acetone now and have no problems. I don't wear them whilst working generally, only when handling pads with acetone.

Last edited:

Doug Schoon is not medically qualified, so to boldly state that you cannot become sensitised to acetone is beyond his remit.
His assertion is based on the fact that acetone is a naturally occurring substance in the body. In extreme cases, there are people who cannot come into contact with water and that's the main composition of our body.
With a sensitivity, a minor level of the irritant might be tolerated by your body, but if it's exposed to a greater amount, it will react to it.

However, I do agree with him that when dissolving nail enhancements, the chemicals in the products breaking down added to the acetone are more likely to be the cause of any reaction.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ask your employer, just stop holding the bottle. I can't see why they could have an issue with it anyway. It shouldn't take long to get used to

Latest posts

Back