contact lenses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat1973

Reaction score
I wear contact lenses and have been told different things with reguards to wearing them and using certain items.
I have been told to wear protective goggles
and I have also been told that goggles will not protect me.
Im confused can anyone help please.:eek:

I think the general opinion with contact lenses is not to wear them at all but to wear glasses. This is due to the dust and added risk of eye infections. All technicians should wear safety glasses at all times ... erm but I don't, and I did used to wear contact lenses when doing nails. Oh well you know what they say, do as I say not as I do lol!

From the Book Nail Artistry by Jacqui Jefford, Sue Marsh and Anne Swain "A nail technician should not wear contact lenses in the salon environment for the following reasons:

although safety glasses offer good protection against accidental splashing they offer no protection against vapours or airborne dust

vapours can collect behind the contact lens and etch the eye, leading to permanent damage to the eyesight

soft lenses can absorb the vapours also causing etching of the eye

if any solvent or chemical is accidentally splashed into the eye, cleaning can prove very difficult - consider how a solvent or chemical degrades a plastic surface or workstation."

Hope I am aloud to quote like that. Sorry if I a not.

Leslie

thats what i saw originaly but i have another book that says if i wear lenses i should wear protective goggles????????????

Oh dear, thought I was quite safe offering advice on this straight out of the textbook! I am not trained yet so I shoud have just shut up. Mind you the thought of etching my eyes is enough to stop me from wearing lenses.

Leslie:o

Oh dear, thought I was quite safe offering advice on this straight out of the textbook! I am not trained yet so I shoud have just shut up. Mind you the thought of etching my eyes is enough to stop me from wearing lenses.

Leslie:o

Leslie I think your advice that you quoted is good advice. I was always told not to wear my lenses,( but whoever does as they are told!).

Tat what was the other publication?

I've also read and been told to not wear contact lenses while working, I have read it in the nail book artistry (like les) and In doug shoons book, and have been told it many time on various courses.

so have worn my glasses while working, I am looking in to having my eyes 'done' as I hate wearing my glasses !

i wear my glasses 90% of the time, and my lenses now and then,

but my glasses are soooo scratched from the nail dust as i wipe it off the lenses, its ruined them!! ( yes i did have anti scratch coating on them!!)

i try to avoid my lenses whilst at work as im worried about damaging my eyes,
ive also tried protective goggles/safety eye wear but i cant see out of them properly over my specs!!

thanks for all your help. i think i will go for the glasses option!

i didn't know this and I am glad I have read this thread.

I used to wear my glassess all the time until recently when i have started wearing contact lenses. Time to revert back :cry:

I never wear contacts for work as I was told during my training that it could damage your eyes for the reasons mentioned above. However, when my optician asked why I don't wear contacts for work he said that there was no reason I couldn't and vapours/dust etc shouldn't cause any harm. As I got conflicting information I figure it's better to be safe than sorry so glasses for me at work.

I called my optometrist directly and we discussed the chemicals involved as well as the specific type of lens that I wear (rigid gas permeable). His advice was that I was at no more specific risk wearing my contacts alone than I would be if not wearing glasses and not wearing protective eyewear.

S

Latest posts

Back