Contemplating leaving hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valentino

Reaction score
Have been a hairdresser for 10 years and am worn out and feeling stale as a stylist. Time to move on?

Are you mobile or in a salon ?

It was the 10 year mark that I burned out also. 5 years later and I'm getting back into it and it's not so bad but my confidence has waned but that will come back with time. Sometimes we just need a break.

I'm in a salon, I'm also the manager which adds to the stress!
How hard was it to leave?

Are you just feeling stressed out by your current role or do you want to move away from hairdressing altogether?

You probably need to talk it through with someone to work out:

1. How you're really feeling about your current job and would you be happier if a few changes were made?

2. Do you want to leave hairdressing completely or just a change of scene - new salon, go self employed.

3. Do you want to move into something in a related field such as teaching hairdressing, writing about it, become a product rep or something beauty/holistic perhaps?

4. Do you fancy a completely new challenge and feel ready to invest time/money into further training/studying?

Not sure if this helps but I read somewhere a few years ago, that graduates in the 21st century will probably have 4 different careers during their working life. Career changes not just changing jobs.

I don't think this just applies to University graduates though. I think it's quite common to want to try new experiences and take a few risks from time to time. It's what drives many of us. ;-)

Thank you for that, that's a good perspective :)

Think I'm just feeling a bit worn out, my life feels the same every day it's exhausting. I suppose choosing a different career won't be forever?

I've been Hairdressing too many years and I HATE my job, unfortunately I can't anything with the flexibility and same money. How about you take a break for a few months and tried something else you could always return ?

Yeah same here, I work pretty hard and get paid quite well. I've grown accustomed to such a life and can't deal with the ****ty pay of a new job. What a conundrum

Latest posts

Back