Contra Indications - Local Total GP Referal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayleySullivan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between local contra indication and a total contra indication. I obviously understand what gp referal means. Does one of them mean its treatable rather than can not be treated. I have this table in my manual but does not tell me the difference between the 2.

thanks

I would say that local contra indication means that you can do the treatment but with restrictions. E.g. - waxing if the client has a bruise on their leg you can do a leg wax but you need to avoid the bruised area. Does that make sense?

Total contra indication would be that you cant do the treatment. i.e. if the client has very thin skin or allergy to the product you would use.

thank you that is brilliant.

So I can carry out local contra indications - just with some restricitons. May need to avoid certain areas etc?

Thanks

Yes -I would say so. Well done.

Give me some other examples you can think of as that will show your understanding x x x

Ok...

Recent Scar tissue is a contra indication. But this area can be avoided during treatment. But can still work on the nails.

Recent fractures or sprains. As long as these are not on the hands treatment can still be carried out. Area of fracture or sprain to be avoided

Bruising and swelling - part of the nail plate may appear black or blue caused by trauma to the nail . Manicure may be painful to the client, but the manice routine can be changed or adapted i.e. if filing is particulalry sore for the client - then do not file but may still be able to paint the nails which will also disguise bruising.

???????????????

x

Well done - you are on the right lines me thinks x x x

brilliant! x
hey i just started a course at college doing beauty therapy and so far we are studding conra-indications and contra actions so u can test me on wot they are.

hey i just started a course at college doing beauty therapy and so far we are studding conra-indications and contra actions so u can test me on wot they are.

Okay, define a 'contra-action' and give an example of a contra-action in a request for a pedicure on an insulin dependent diabetic.

Last edited:
Well done - you are on the right lines me thinks x x x

Yup, I agree with oey. For example, you can perform a manicure on somebody with a sty, but you cannot perform lash tinting. The sty is a localized contraindication specific to the eye area and eye treatments but allows a manicure.

Likewise, you can perform a lash tint on a client with a nail infection, but not a manicure.

Contraindications can also be temporary or permanent. A sty is likely to resolve and heal and therefor the lash tinting can be resumed when the infection has cleared.

iya! yer a total contra actions means no you cant work on them! I never heard about a local contra indication only contra actions which means you can still do the treatment.! xxx:green:

iya! yer a total contra actions means no you cant work on them! I never heard about a local contra indication only contra actions which means you can still do the treatment.! xxx:green:

Hiya Lisa

A contra action is something that happens as a result of a treatment (i.e. erythema redness after waxing) anything that restricts or stops you from doing the treatment is a contra indication.

Hope that helps to make sense.

Latest posts

Back