Coping with losing my dog

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
Hey geeks, sorry this post will be a huge downer, but I really need some help. I had to have my beautiful dog put to sleep yesterday, her liver and kidneys were failing, she had pancreatitis and was in a lot of pain. I'm happy she isn't suffering anymore as I hated the thought of her in pain but I just can't cope, I had her since I was 7 so we grew up together, watching her fall asleep for the last time was pure agony and I just can't stop crying :'( has anyone got any tips? I don't know how to feel or think :( xxx
Here's a photo from a few weeks ago x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1406655883.076092.jpg

Didn't want to read & run as I was in this position 2 years ago.

What can I say, you have my every sympathy, it is horrible, horrible horrible.

No one can say anything really, but it is an unfortunate part of the journey.

My only advice is to truly remember all the fantastic & good times and the many memories created. Xx

Had to have my cat put to sleep after someone ran her over and left her. I cried 4 days, then you start to remember the good memories, its all just a time thing. Sorry to hear about your dog and hope you are feeling better soon xxx

Oh hugs to you!!, I have also had to put down 2 dogs for health issues. It has been 20 years for the first one and I still get a tear sometimes, the best thing I can tell you is, get another dog, they mend your heart :) I have 2 dogs now and I figure I have another 6 years with them, they are 8 and 5, they are my loves and when they pass , I will start again with another dog, my life just isn't complete without one or two 😊

I suggest a smaller dog with a large life expectancy :) my small dog is suppose to be with me for 15 years and my lab well usually 12 years is pushing it. Look at breeds that live a long time :)

Big hugs to you. I had to have one of my pooches pts at Christmas. Our pets are part of our family, allow yourself time to grieve, if you want to cry then it's ok! There will be a time when you will look back at the memories of her & smile instead of cry, promise :) hang in there just give it time!

I'm so sorry.X

You have my sympathies

I lost my golden on 24th June 2009 aged 14 and I had him from a pup.I kid you not that after the vet had left the house I must have chain smoked about 40 fags and lost half a stone overnight . I just could not eat a thing . i felt that someone had put a knife through my heart and I wailed like a wounded animal

My husband wanted to get another Golden ( we also have a cavalier ) and we have had Harvey sine October 2009 again from a pup . I have to confess it was too early for me to get another dog and i found it hard to bond with him at first - I was still grieving for Casper

But now I love him to bits just like I did Casper .

Unfortunately my lovely this sadness is just all part of owning and loving a dog BUT in time you will be able to think of the good times and it wont hurt so much

You DO need to remind yourself that you gave that dog the best possible life they could have had and in time believe me that will be of some comfort to you

My cavalier is 13 now and she is showing signs of coming to the end and I am trying to prepare myself for that but the sad fact is - you just cant

Cry as much as you want ,hug pics of them and do what you have to and a few months down the road it will not hurt so much - Honest

Big Hugs :hug:

So sorry to read this. They are a part of our lives and part of the family so you need time to be sad. I don't think anything makes it easier other than the passing of time. Sending love and hugs xx

So sorry to hear your sad news. I found a Poem online called Rainbow Bridge and it really helped me. I can't read the whole poem without tearing up but it definitely makes it easier to think where they are now. X

Hey geeks, sorry this post will be a huge downer, but I really need some help. I had to have my beautiful dog put to sleep yesterday, her liver and kidneys were failing, she had pancreatitis and was in a lot of pain. I'm happy she isn't suffering anymore as I hated the thought of her in pain but I just can't cope, I had her since I was 7 so we grew up together, watching her fall asleep for the last time was pure agony and I just can't stop crying :'( has anyone got any tips? I don't know how to feel or think :( xxx
Here's a photo from a few weeks ago x View attachment 71562

Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you :hug: I had to have my 15 yr old yorkie put to sleep on vets' advice in April '10, due to kidney failure. I cried and howled like a baby, thought the sun would never shine again almost. I held her while she slipped quickly away at the vet's and then my husband drove me up to the cliffs near our house and I just stared out to sea, crying and disbelieving that she was gone. Awful!!

Despite advice to the contrary, I knew that the only way I was going to cope and move forward was with another little one and, despite huge embarrassment on my part, I brought him home only 2 days later! Another yorkie, he's the complete opposite of my first one in terms of temperament and I adore him equally. You can't replace one dog with another, you get a different one to love. We all cope differently but, for me, it was the right decision. I just don't feel right without a dog in the family.

I can still shed a tear for Lucy and she'll never be forgotten. I don't think you ever 'Get over' a significant loss, but you gradually learn to live with it and be glad for the time you had together, safe in the knowledge that you gave them a loved and happy life. Do whatever is right for you, there's no right or wrong way to deal with grief. :hug: xx

Last edited:
And you have my sympathies I don't think unfortunately anybody can really say anything that makes you feel any better 😔
I went to this when, shortly after finding out I was pregnant with my first daughter, somebody knocked on my door and had found our cat in a hedge. He completely lost the use of his back legs and we thought he'd been hit by car so we took him to the vets and it turned out that he had a clot in his heart which had partly broken off and travelled up his spine and paralysed him. He was in a lot of pain and eventually they said if it didn't In 24 hours they would have to put him down. I can remember sitting there and pretty much holding his paw as he was put to sleep because I was not going to leave him, he was the first pet myself and my husband got when we moved in together and rescued him from wandering wild after he had been abandoned by someone and he was just the best cat ever.
I remember thinking at the time it was really unfair and spent a lot of time crying, he was only 3 years old and went from being abandoned to pain at such a young age but everybody's right, within a few days you feel better and eventually you start to be able to look back and laugh at memories that you have. It is hard at the beginning and just talk to anyone you need to and if you need to cry, cry there's nothing wrong with that. Thinking of you and talk to any of us if you need to xx

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

Oh bless you :( our Alfie had a short battle with cancer, but died from a stroke aged 9. We got him before my parents divorced and they got joint custody of him. Was a perfect life for him. My mum is with various walking groups n my dad has a VW van n would just take off to the coast on a beautiful weekend n take Alfie with him. Anyway the dog had about 6 holidays a year n hundreds of doggy n human friends.

He died 2 years ago and dogs are part of the family so you need to take some time out, cry n reminisce. The day he died I went to the park for a cry n I saw an Alfie shaped cloud, which told me he got to heaven safely n is no longer in pain. I'm crying now! Love to you xx

Oh honey :( about 3 years ago my cat, (who I'd had since in was 1) had to be put down. 17 years I had spent with him, grew up with him and call me biased but he was the most spectacular cat I've ever known. It was agony to watch him slowly deteriorate, first developing very bad legs and then losing his sight. He got so poorly and quiet and slept all the time which was not like him. He just got so ill and in the end we had him put down as he was just suffering. We think he also had a small stroke in his sleep on his final night too which just left him helpless. It was heartbreaking. The whole family sat in the lounge and cried, just sitting with him, waiting for morning to come, saying our goodbyes. We didn't think he'd make it through the night but he was still fighting the following day. But it was no use and we made the hard decision to have him put down.
I cried for weeks. Months went by and I still thought about him, the house felt so strange.
It doesn't go away but I promise it will get better. I think about Oscar often and smile remembering what a joy he was, writing this has made me sob like I used to though. You'll make a place for your dog in your heart. And you will be ok. Xx

Its a massive deal to lose a family member you need time!! A pet is a family member.. its fine to cry lots!! Just Try to focus on something positive when you have to face the world... but cry when you need to! Big hugs :)

I know exactly where you are coming from. We had to have Billy, our Lhasa Apso, pts 9 weeks ago. He was 3 days off being 4 yrs old. From about 6 months old, there were only 2 months that he wasn't at the vets. He had multiple allergies, chronic ear, eye and skin problems. Needed over £2,700 worth of surgery on his back right leg, was in the early stages of arthritis, and our vet thought he may have been starting with Pancreatitis. We were led to believe that a lot of these problems were down to the breeder.(Yes, they were K. C. reg, which is no guarantee of good health etc etc!) But you know what? If we could have our little man back - healthy, we would do it again in a heart beat. The pain is so bad, we're just left in a big silent void at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen as many Lhasa's as I have in the last 9 weeks! We either smile, laugh or cry, depending on how the day has gone so far! There are no words to help you at the moment, but I'm sending you an extra special hug and letting you know that you're not alone. :hug:

Latest posts

Back