Copycats should I be offended or flattered?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbissell86

Reaction score
Lovely Geeks,

Heres a contraversial one for you?

I am a qualified freelance beauty therapist and decided to add to my skills by training in spray tanning, gel nails, minx etc...

A Few "friends" well more "aquaintances" were booking in but I could always tell by the questions " what product are you using" "was it expensive to train" "where did you train" etc So i could tell they wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

First of all if it was just anyone I realise there will always be competition and Im fine with that but just felt like these particular people had really used me for info and been a bit sneaky.

The main thing that annoyed me was I had some catchy slogans on my advertising material which has now been copied word for word.

I just want to make clear Im not nasty Id help anyone trying to crack the industry but wish people were more honest about their intentions and also came up with their own material!!

Afterwards I thought differently I thought to myself, you know what Im a trend setter not a follower, and if people are watching what im doing and want to do exactly as I do then I must me top of my game???

Just wondered what all your views were on this and if anyone has had similar experiences?

This is only my 3rd posting so please be gentle :lol:

offended or flattered?

xxxxx

Personally.. And this is MY opinion.. I find it insulting and undermining. It makes me feel like my natural flair is easily mimicked and somehow easy.

Can open.. Worms everywhere!! Arrghhh! Lol! U do realise there will be arguments on this thread don't you! Lol! ;)

Personally, id be Absolutely flattered :) but it's very annoying.

Not many people are creative enough to think of their own ideas, so your quite clearly a role model for
These people.

Don't get annoyed hun. This will always happen with people who admire your wit, and I personally think "copying" (lol I feel about 5 years old saying that). Is the highest
Form of flattery. Just keep been you, do it your way, and let them carry on. People like this generally find someone else to mimic.

Xxx

I wouldn't be offended but i would feel irritated!

A friend if mine was struggling with her website so i suggested that she look at mine for a few ideas. Well basically she copied and pasted it word for word!

We had a laugh about it but it did pog me off so i reworded mine! Its hard enough being all creative about your treatments without people pinching all your ideas.

PB
X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

....but I bet nearly everyone on sg has used another's ideas for inspiration at some point in their career. I know I have when I was starting out - that's why I think it's flattering, as the people I looked up to we're the ones I used for inspiration.

....but I bet nearly everyone on sg has used another's ideas for inspiration at some point in their career. I know I have when I was starting out - that's why I think it's flattering, as the people I looked up to we're the ones I used for inspiration.

Im sure you are right Lola and i was flattered but irritated!

At least my friend lives in a different area to me!

PB
X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

With an open forum like this and with us all liking each other's facebook pages there always will be a certain amount of ideas & creativity being re-used & adapted.

I've had many fellow geeks using my page for inspiration for their own pages & yep, I do generally find it flattering :biggrin

However, if it was someone on my own doorstop, I'd be seriously miffed & would not be happy at all. So OP I don't blame you at all for spitting feathers over them pinching your creativity.

Btw, whereabouts in Ipswich are you? I'm not far from you, in Felixstowe :)

I can honestly say I'm one of a kind.. (no sarky jibes there please lol!) :D I like to experiment a lot.. And I love the creative side of my job.. It's an art form in my eyes. I wouldn't copy someone else's art. I think thats why hairdressers differ so much.

Technicals il pick up on.. But never someone elses flair..Never have.. Never will.

With an open forum like this and with us all liking each other's facebook pages there always will be a certain amount of ideas & creativity being re-used & adapted.

I've had many fellow geeks using my page for inspiration for their own pages & yep, I do generally find it flattering :biggrin

However, if it was someone on my own doorstop, I'd be seriously miffed & would not be happy at all. So OP I don't blame you at all for spitting feathers over them pinching your creativity.

Btw, whereabouts in Ipswich are you? I'm not far from you, in Felixstowe :)

Im just off a12 ransomes europark.

I agree and now ive simmered I would be very flattered if someone were to want to be just like me if it was on salon geek or even local, think i was just hurt this was two people I considered friends and not to even tell me they were contemplating it seemed a little sneak sneak.

felixstowe Thats just slightly out of my way so thats fine haha just kidding nice to know someone nearby x

Im just off a12 ransomes europark.

I agree and now ive simmered I would be very flattered if someone were to want to be just like me if it was on salon geek or even local, think i was just hurt this was two people I considered friends and not to even tell me they were contemplating it seemed a little sneak sneak.

felixstowe Thats just slightly out of my way so thats fine haha just kidding nice to know someone nearby x

You really are a hop, skip & a jump away, lol. I'm actually Trimley St Martin.
It does hurt though when people you think of as friends let you down :mad:

When someone I'm doing starts asking a lot of questions like you described, I give them very vague answers. That seems to shut them up, because they realize I'm on to them. If someone calls to make an appointment and tells me they want to observe what I'm doing, I don't mind. At least they were honest about it and asked first. But if they don't and are sneaky about it, I'm not inclined to help them.

Like others have said when things are shared for all to see, especially on the internet, there is going to be copying, take it as flattery. Unless things are copyrighted (not sure what you call it in overseas) there isn't much you can do about it. In the U.S. you can trademark a slogan. If someone copies it you can either sue them or make them take it off or out of printed material.

Not many people are creative enough to think of their own ideas, so your quite clearly a role model for
These people.

Xxx

This is so true. This is one of the reasons I don't do nail, because I don't have the creative flair to do my own designs, I'd have to be a copier....:wink2:

I have had a few clients go on the CND course after a a year or so of apps with me :)

And I willingly give them their number.

I think some of us want to be completely unique, but by doing this you are unknowingly inspiring others. I think it's great :)

Xxx

id be very annoyed...copying is just for lazy people if they want to doit themselves go look and do your reaserch yourself...im a nice person but not overnice as it gets you no where..u had to doit all on your own with hard work and dedication so why cant they hey!!!!!!

I personally don't do nails but do look for ideas so that I can inspire our Beauty Therapist, so I do a lot of research in general for hair and beauty for our business.

I think it's great if people can share to a certain extent and like it has been mentioned as long as your not copying like for like and your not close to each other, I can see all the benefits. However, I would always, always ask the person I would like to copy from if they minded. This includes any treatment info, text or promos they do.

I think it is extremely rude to just assume you can use somebody elses ideas, expecially when they have put so much thought and effort in what they are doing.

So be flattered but also be cautious

Something similar happened to me with 2 therapists. One isn't qualified and just comes to me to see how it's done then charges clients!
The other is a therapist and comes to get all of the new treatments done so that she can then train and undercuts me!
I have to say I was like you, I'd help anyone but not any more!
I won't answer questions like 'how much was your course' and 'did it cost a lot to set up'. They can do their research like I had to!
It annoys me so much!!

I would be annoyed if people were outright trying to do me out of business - that's not fair if your willing to help someone.!

But I think people will ALWAYS copy. I have recently started updating my page with new things ive done everyday, and I've noticed a few 'copiers' uploading their pics not long after. I know confident in What I do and I have great relationships with my clients - so much so that they inform me of other salon going ons (which tbh I couldn't care less)

I think I got the 'don't care' attitude from realising that you can't stop someone and they will do it anyway. I am talking mainly about my work - when it comes to completely ripping off Someones business ideas and calling them your own then yes that's wrong! But again - very little you can do. And you can hardly keep your ideas to yourself......!

I would be professional, and if you see the person in question - be polite and maybe say "really good offer you've have on/web page/ treatments list/ect, similar to mine really, oh well, great minds think Alike :) " they will know exactly what your getting at, and will maybe think Twice in the future!

I really have no worthy advice lol
As this is such a tough one to deal with. We're all different and what bothers one might not be such a big deal to the next? It doesn't make it right or wrong xxx

Latest posts

Back