Correct me if I'm wrong - powdered gels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soniamarie

Reaction score
Ladies and gents I have been trained in the art of nails for some years and even though I have had a break still kept up with some the new techniques etc. But as I am just about to start out mobile, over the last couple of days I have been chatting with people I know who have their nails done else where and a couple of them have been saying that they have powdered gels, which are stronger and safer than acrylics. Now please correct me if I am wrong these sound like normal acrylics with a gel top coat, I have told them this, a powder used with a liquid and then a gel polish over the top, their answer is yes so am I right these are just normal L&P and if so why are they being told they are gels and safer for them, when infact they are not gels, and as for safe well that would depend on whats in it and the technicians methods. I know there was a dipping method available some years ago but not sure if that's still available now. I am just wondering if I have been asleep for the last few years and there is a powdered gel? which to me doesn't sound likely.

You are absolutely right, these clients are being lied to, they are either having l&p with a gel top coat, or 'tip and dip' (which is still available, it pops up every 6 months or so a a 'new' method) - stand your ground, you're the trained tech.

They are being told gels are better as it's a marketing ploy, items feeding from the old myth that l&p ruins your nail, you know items bad techs and bad clients that ruin nails not products

Good luck with the new venture :hug:

You are absolutely right, these clients are being lied to, they are either having l&p with a gel top coat, or 'tip and dip' (which is still available, it pops up every 6 months or so a a 'new' method) - stand your ground, you're the trained tech.

They are being told gels are better as it's a marketing ploy, items feeding from the old myth that l&p ruins your nail, you know items bad techs and bad clients that ruin nails not products

Good luck with the new venture :hug:

Hi thought I was right, thing is they really think they are having gels and that they are 'safer' but when I try and explain to them that they have l&p with a gel top coat they wont have it, they seem brain washed that they have gels and they are safer they would never have acrylic etc etc , I tell them that l&p, if its a reputable brand, wont damage their nails it would be other factors, but they still wont have it. The thing is if they are being sold something its not whos to say what brand they are using. Maybe they wont ever be clients of mine, who knows but I can only put them straight. I didn't know that you could still get the tip and dip type but it is not that they are describing either to me.

From what I understand powdered gels are what a lot of NSS (non standard salons) use. It is a cheap brand of acrylic but is labelled as powdered gel. The problem is that many of these salons will have a language barrier and trust the people they buy this product from and chances are they themselves will believe that it is a gel, when obviously it isn't.

I read a very informative post by Anna at CND who explained this very well as she works closely with providing education within the South East Asian (SEA) nail community.

As with all things education is key, both for clients and nail techs and all we can do is share our knowledge.

From what I understand powdered gels are what a lot of NSS (non standard salons) use. It is a cheap brand of acrylic but is labelled as powdered gel. The problem is that many of these salons will have a language barrier and trust the people they buy this product from and chances are they themselves will believe that it is a gel, when obviously it isn't.

I read a very informative post by Anna at CND who explained this very well as she works closely with providing education within the South East Asian (SEA) nail community.

As with all things education is key, both for clients and nail techs and all we can do is share our knowledge.

thanks Pure, that's interesting, so they do call them powdered gels then, as you say all we can do is educate those who will listen, I think they do have them done in what I would call the cheap nail shops in town, not dare I say a proper salon as such who displays their brand. I will have to google thism at least I know what they are talking about now.

I'll see if I can get Anna to comment on this thread as she is very knowledgable and can much better explain than I :)

Hi Everyone, my name is Anna Lee and I am a CND Education Ambassador in the UK. For the past 4 years, I have been working with the SEA (South East Asian) nail community helping them progress and move forward by encouraging them to get better education. In the past 4 years, I have signed hundreds of CND certificates to CND qualified SEA nail techs.

In regards to Powder gels/ gel powder, a lot of my students use it. There is in fact a product called "Powder Gel". But Powder Gel is indeed a form of liquid & powder. But let's not all jump into conclusion that these salons are all out to deliberately lie and mislead the general public. The answer to this commonly asked question is simple - They call it Gel Powder because that is what the manufactures call it. That is what it says on the container. So if the manufacturer tells them what they are using is called Gel Powder, then that is what they are going to call it on the service menu. It really is that simple. Just like CND says their CND Shellac polish is not a gel, then you are not going to call it a "CND gel polish", you are going to call it whatever CND has told you to call it, in this case "CND Shellac 14 Day+ Nail colour". Remember that we always bang on about following the manufactures guidelines?

They price the gel power at a slightly price because the manufactures sell it to them at a higher price. They say the gel powder is better for the nails because the manufacture tells them it is better for the nails hence the higher price. If anything, it is of a better quality of Liquid & Powder than they usually use. It has much better clarity, better adhesion and is easier to work with.

You may sit there and wonder why hasn't any of these nail techs ever questioned what they are using? So yes, I agree, it is the lack of education. Maybe they don't realise Gel Powder doesn't exist? Maybe they don't even know what L&P is? But If you don't know - you don't know. And sometimes we need understand, that if a product works for your clients, you are booked with appointments back to back and you don't have problems with it, it is most likely that you won't be questioning it at all. You will just go with whatever the manufacturer's guidelines are which is what they have done in this case.

If we flip the coin to the other side, I have had many non-SEA students attend my classes not knowing anything about the products they are using - be it L&P, UV gel or UV nail coating. Some people like to find answers, some people don't. Some people like to attend classes, some people don't think it's neccessary. It's just personal preference. It could be the lack of education and not necessarily out to deliberately mislead the general public at all.

The SEA nail techs and salons are not actually doing anything wrong. It just SEEMS wrong to the rest of us because most of us don't understand the situation properly so therefore we are all adding our own assumptions. And ultimately, that's where all the negativity are started and created. Some of these issues really are simple and not at all complicated.

My points are not to defend this powder gel that they are using, I can see how this can be misleading but ultimately, that is the manufactures problem with terminology and marketing, NOT the salon's or the nail tech. My main concern is how the lack of integrity and morals of the SEA nail techs are sometimes suggested just because they are known to use this product so I am here to give information in hopes that I can help to eliminate any negativities.

I hope this information is useful to all. Hope this helps with your understanding.

Thank you Anna :hug:

Its an area of our industry that many of us know nothing about so it's good to have some facts and more understanding, that we in turn can share.

Hi Everyone, my name is Anna Lee and I am a CND Education Ambassador in the UK. For the past 4 years, I have been working with the SEA (South East Asian) nail community helping them progress and move forward by encouraging them to get better education. In the past 4 years, I have signed hundreds of CND certificates to CND qualified SEA nail techs.

In regards to Powder gels/ gel powder, a lot of my students use it. There is in fact a product called "Powder Gel". But Powder Gel is indeed a form of liquid & powder. But let's not all jump into conclusion that these salons are all out to deliberately lie and mislead the general public. The answer to this commonly asked question is simple - They call it Gel Powder because that is what the manufactures call it. That is what it says on the container. So if the manufacturer tells them what they are using is called Gel Powder, then that is what they are going to call it on the service menu. It really is that simple. Just like CND says their CND Shellac polish is not a gel, then you are not going to call it a "CND gel polish", you are going to call it whatever CND has told you to call it, in this case "CND Shellac 14 Day+ Nail colour". Remember that we always bang on about following the manufactures guidelines?

They price the gel power at a slightly price because the manufactures sell it to them at a higher price. They say the gel powder is better for the nails because the manufacture tells them it is better for the nails hence the higher price. If anything, it is of a better quality of Liquid & Powder than they usually use. It has much better clarity, better adhesion and is easier to work with.

You may sit there and wonder why hasn't any of these nail techs ever questioned what they are using? So yes, I agree, it is the lack of education. Maybe they don't realise Gel Powder doesn't exist? Maybe they don't even know what L&P is? But If you don't know - you don't know. And sometimes we need understand, that if a product works for your clients, you are booked with appointments back to back and you don't have problems with it, it is most likely that you won't be questioning it at all. You will just go with whatever the manufacturer's guidelines are which is what they have done in this case.

If we flip the coin to the other side, I have had many non-SEA students attend my classes not knowing anything about the products they are using - be it L&P, UV gel or UV nail coating. Some people like to find answers, some people don't. Some people like to attend classes, some people don't think it's neccessary. It's just personal preference. It could be the lack of education and not necessarily out to deliberately mislead the general public at all.

The SEA nail techs and salons are not actually doing anything wrong. It just SEEMS wrong to the rest of us because most of us don't understand the situation properly so therefore we are all adding our own assumptions. And ultimately, that's where all the negativity are started and created. Some of these issues really are simple and not at all complicated.

My points are not to defend this powder gel that they are using, I can see how this can be misleading but ultimately, that is the manufactures problem with terminology and marketing, NOT the salon's or the nail tech. My main concern is how the lack of integrity and morals of the SEA nail techs are sometimes suggested just because they are known to use this product so I am here to give information in hopes that I can help to eliminate any negativities.

I hope this information is useful to all. Hope this helps with your understanding.

Thankyou Anna lee for explaining this, I had not heard of it before and without seeing it done assumed it is l&p which I suppose it could still be depending on method etc, my only concern would be what it contains. As you say a language barrier causes problems and yes we go by what the manufactures call things, think I will have to go into town at some point and sit somewhere and watch because I certainly don't want it on my nails without knowing exactly what it is, and at the moment its to cold to sit on a bench outside. lol. I in the meantime will stick with my gels that I am trained in and know my products.

Thankyou Anna lee for explaining this, I had not heard of it before and without seeing it done assumed it is l&p which I suppose it could still be depending on method etc, my only concern would be what it contains. As you say a language barrier causes problems and yes we go by what the manufactures call things, think I will have to go into town at some point and sit somewhere and watch because I certainly don't want it on my nails without knowing exactly what it is, and at the moment its to cold to sit on a bench outside. lol. I in the meantime will stick with my gels that I am trained in and know my products.

Hi Soniamarie, it is in fact Liquid & powder - except the powder comes in a pot labeled as 'powder gel'. They use it with liquid.

Glad you found the info useful. :D

Post #3 is spot on. I agree. I get this all the time. These clients stay with me for the education I provide on what's really going on.

Where are these salons buying this "powder gel" and how come it is not something we see the regular nail suppliers in the UK selling?

Thanks for your informative post Anna.

However, to me it's no wonder that many nail techs who are classically trained in L&P or Gel system applications, are bemused with these new products that don't seem to make sense to them.

Therefore it always pays to pay attention to trends and new applications and to try them out for yourself and give some honest feedback to results.

Manufacturers seem to be the ones leading ahead with new ideas, and it's always wise to at least pay heed to what's going on in the industry, even if you do disagree with their methods. At least from a more educated triallst point of view, you stand a better chance of standing your ground in a discussion or debate, one way or another. :confused:

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1424849397.709423.jpg 😂😂

Thank you for your answer although you do make some good points;
I am going to have to
disagree with the end part of that reply.
"It not the salon or tech fault? "
Sorry but as a trained professional it is your duty to make sure you know what you are using and doing.
It's too easy to pass the buck and blame someone or the distributor or government or your language as an excuse.

If more people took more responsibility the world would be in a much better shape.

Latest posts

Back