Cost per service calculation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmit2

Reaction score
Question was too long to fit in the Q box- sorry!

Do you include the cost of your tools, curette, UV lamp etc...?

I am just starting out and have worked out my cost per service for L&P, Shellac, Manicure etc and was wondering what to do for the tools i use...I have included them but at what rate is anyone's guess. What do you do?

For example I have included the files i use like Kanga, and divided the cost per file by 5 as i think i might get 5 clients per file and added that onto the service cost. Is this what you do?

How do you account for your UV/heat lamps? What is an acceptable number of clients to have the lamp paid for...? 100?

Sorry for all the Q's- I'm hoping established pro's know and can share what they do :)

Thanks

It will all works itself out once you do your 'books' at the end of the year, I would've thought?

There's somethings that I couldn't work out per set of nails ie, my brush but it just goes into the items bought column in my expenditure.. maybe I do it wrong? I dunno :)

I would just add into it, the cost of the products, not the tools.

Hi

I'm not sure i understand your reply... :o sorry!

I won't be doing my books at the end of the year as i'm just starting up ready to do family/friends and word of mouth business as i've got a full time job for the next 6months. I'll be officially in business when i've left my job and am taking regular paying clients and advertising.

I'm just getting ahead of myself and being prepared.

Hi

I'm not sure i understand your reply... :o sorry!

I won't be doing my books at the end of the year as i'm just starting up ready to do family/friends and word of mouth business as i've got a full time job for the next 6months. I'll be officially in business when i've left my job and am taking regular paying clients and advertising.

I'm just getting ahead of myself and being prepared.
It may actually be me getting the wrong meaning of your post - I was thinking you were working out your profit when that isn't really the case, is it? Sorry :)

I think though that for the amount of time your tools last, the cost per treatment will actually be pennies.

I would say that for a cost per treatment calculation you include anything that is consumable - i.e. used and then cannot be used again, such as product, file, couch roll etc

If you have expensive equipment that you use - such as a lamp, then an amount should be included for that too and this would be calculated as the cost of the equipment including consumables such as bulbs, divided by the number of expected services.

You probably wouldn't include an amount for curettes etc because it will be so small.

Apologies in advance if I've taken this the wrong way but if you're taking in money for your service then technically you're in business and need to do your accounts at the end of the year. Unless of course you're not planning on charging any of these people at all? I've got another job too and won't consider myself fully in business until I can give that job up but I'm still a registered business and the tax man still has to see my books. Again, apologies if I've misunderstood! PGx

I'm not registering yet as I will only be charging people to cover my costs to gain experience and practise for when I acutally register as a business and then charge full price for a service. I was just wondering how to factor in everything inc. equipment as i'm not loosing out on a cost per service.

So for example I won't be charging £20 for a manicure, i'll be charging £5 ish (example only). I don't class this as tax dodging, but if i'm wrong, please correct me.

I had factored in my UV lamp and divided it by number of expected uses so i think i've done it right - thanks :)

I'm not registering yet as I will only be charging people to cover my costs to gain experience and practise for when I acutally register as a business and then charge full price for a service. I was just wondering how to factor in everything inc. equipment as i'm not loosing out on a cost per service.

So for example I won't be charging £20 for a manicure, i'll be charging £5 ish (example only). I don't class this as tax dodging, but if i'm wrong, please correct me.

I had factored in my UV lamp and divided it by number of expected uses so i think i've done it right - thanks :)

What about the cost of the gels, insurance etc

Ok what I do with equipment and laundry and all the rest of it is add the whole lot together for the service then divide it by expected clients (though this is irritating because you can't get the right amount really) then add that at the end to all your products.

If this helps my dad has been an angel and helped me do a spreadsheet for all products and consumables with a code for each and number of units etc so I just transfer the codes into a little table with how much product used and it gives me the cost of those products per treatment.

I think you do need to register if you have clients hun, no matter how much you're charging them hth x

I've got to do all this and I'm finding it very overwhelming. Ive no idea how many L&P I get out of one pot etc. If you've got any hints of how you worked it out I'd be very grateful. Really I need a minimum price that covers costs I guess then add on what you see as acceptable and competitive with local business. 

I've got to do all this and I'm finding it very overwhelming. Ive no idea how many L&P I get out of one pot etc. If you've got any hints of how you worked it out I'd be very grateful. Really I need a minimum price that covers costs I guess then add on what you see as acceptable and competitive with local business. 

You could try contacting your supplier? If not guesstimate and then count your first pot. For example I'd probably say about 0.2-0.5g of powder per nail? So say 3g per full set and the pot is 28g just do 28/3 = 9.3 (10?) full sets. So say the price was £50 for a pot (...) so £5 per service. This is a compete guess by the way, I only used l&p on training then got annoyed with it and gave up, will go back to it when I have more patience for the smell...hth x

Thanks Pinkbunny. A day to myself with plenty of coffee and a calculator and I'll get going. I really appreciate your help. X

Contact your supplier. I needed this info when I started my business, I phoned NSI and they e-mailed me a spreadsheet with figures for how many treatments per pot and cost per treatment for each product.

I dont do gels yet and im insured through CND whilst i'm training. Once i'm qualified in L&P i will get insurance before i do any on a client.

I'm going to look into when to register as i was sure some previous advice was you only have to register once you begin advertising.

Thanks for your help ladies :hug:

If this helps my dad has been an angel and helped me do a spreadsheet for all products and consumables with a code for each and number of units etc so I just transfer the codes into a little table with how much product used and it gives me the cost of those products per treatment.
x

Hi Pinkbunny

The spreadsheet your dad made sounds awesome.
Any chance u would mind sharing it?

Pretty please ;)

Hi Pinkbunny

The spreadsheet your dad made sounds awesome.
Any chance u would mind sharing it?

Pretty please ;)

Yeah sure pm me your email address and when I'm on my laptop I'll send you it. It's on sheet 2 but corresponds to sheet 1 if that makes sense? I havnt really used it but when I email you will explain it so it's all clear :)

Also person above (lol sorry) you have to register when whichever of these comes first: you have your first paying client OR you are advertising. And you don't get 3 months to register, it's straight away else you get fined x

Yeah sure pm me your email address and when I'm on my laptop I'll send you it. It's on sheet 2 but corresponds to sheet 1 if that makes sense? I havnt really used it but when I email you will explain it so it's all clear :)

Also person above (lol sorry) you have to register when whichever of these comes first: you have your first paying client OR you are advertising. And you don't get 3 months to register, it's straight away else you get fined x

Pinkbunny,
Would you mind sharing it with me too? I'd really appreciate it - it sounds awesome and I'm trying to gather up all my data so I'm ready to go and actually know how much things cost and what I need to do. I love spreadsheets but they are just so time consuming and hard to do. :confused:

Pinkbunny,
Would you mind sharing it with me too? I'd really appreciate it - it sounds awesome and I'm trying to gather up all my data so I'm ready to go and actually know how much things cost and what I need to do. I love spreadsheets but they are just so time consuming and hard to do. :confused:

Yeah sure pm me your email hun x

Can I be cheeky and pinch one too 

Latest posts

Back