Course advice for a newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

librarygirl

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have recently been think of a change of career and becoming a nail technician, I work full time and eventually would like to become a mobile nail technician. Would anyone be able to help please? At a college near to my self they are running the following 2 course both running for 17 weeks each by completing both courses could anyone tell me if I would then be qualified to become a mobile nail technician, these are the details of the 2 courses

Nail Treatments (Manicure & Pedicure)
This recognised qualification includes studies of anatomy and physiology, health and safety together with the practical and theoretical aspects relating to manicure and pedicure treatments.

Nail Technology Certificate
This recognised qualification includes studies of anatomy and physiology, health and safety together with the practical and theoretical aspects relating to false nail treatments.

I live in South bham and any advise would be really helpful,

thanks

Laura

Welcome to our world!! :hug:

On the whole, I do not rate college courses and you will understand why if you do a search the subject here on the site.

Company education for me and you can't do better than CND.

Give them a call on 0845 2106060 and get their info sent through to you. CND are award winners for their education and there is none better and of course, the classes only use CND products which are undisputedly of the very highest quality in the industry with a 35 year history behind them as the industry leaders. They run regular courses in your area with the lovely CND Education Ambassador, Rhea.
www.sweertsquared.com

Part with the money and do the best course you can find. If you have to wait, wait and get the best. You'll pay more in the end like I did if you choose an inferior course.

I personally did my gel nail certification through a college (a well reputed cosmotology/aesthetics college) and did not get what I felt was a proper education. I later switched to another line, and I learned so much more just from watching their dvds than I ever did in my class. I learned even more when I went for my one-on-one conversion. Basically I learned more in 4 hours than I did in the whole course.

I have done college courses and the CND course Geeg mentioned, I have to say the CND course was the best I've been on!
Smaller classes, better products, better education...the lenth of course doesn't make a difference it will take you along time to practice your techniques either way.
However I would recommend doing a manicure and pedicure course to go with your enhancement course, sometimes the college courses can be helpful as you get plenty of practice even if it is slightly repetative!

I would definitly recommend Creative's products the best quality you can buy I'm my opinion x
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Hi ladies,

thank you so much for all the replies, everyone on the forum has been posting that CND do the best courses, I think the reason I thought college might have been a good idea is that it is stretched over weeks instead of a few days and as a complete novice I would be worried that I hadn't has enough time/experience. I am facing what I think is redundancy in a few months and what to make the best desicion, would anyone be able to recommend any CND courses that would take me from a complete beginner to a standard where I could become a mobile technicion?

I can't thank everyone enough for thier replies, I really appreciate it,

thanks

Laura

Hi ladies,

thank you so much for all the replies, everyone on the forum has been posting that CND do the best courses, I think the reason I thought college might have been a good idea is that it is stretched over weeks instead of a few days and as a complete novice I would be worried that I hadn't has enough time/experience. I am facing what I think is redundancy in a few months and what to make the best desicion, would anyone be able to recommend any CND courses that would take me from a complete beginner to a standard where I could become a mobile technicion?

I can't thank everyone enough for thier replies, I really appreciate it,

thanks

Laura

Please contact CND/Sweet Squared and speak personally to an Education adviser there. The girls will tell you all you need to know and send you info and you will also have the chance to get a 'feel' for the company and how great they are. 08452106060

The Foundation course is your starting point and will get you going (almost right away if you are a quick learner and skillful) ... it can take a year or more to achieve Master Level depending on your personal commitment to the job.

As I'm sure you realise, doing nails for a living is not an easy or a fast option, as is true when learning any highly skilled job, but CND will be there to help you all the way along with your journey.

oh what an exciting time for you !!!

right, my twopence worth is this. go to CND and get the best training, then understand that they will give you all the training, advice and help that you will need to make those first steps into the world of nails........HOWEVER you are in charge of your destiny from there on in, it will be you that takes the reins, practises and practises refining the skills you have been taught. Learning from your experiences.

The road you are thinking of travelling on is wonderful, scary, frustrating, rewarding and a bit bumpy .......but in my opinion a road worth travelling.

Think of it as being taught all you need to know to pass your driving test ( I use this scenario with my trainees and its very helpful). then you pass and are left to drive that car on your own!!

I trained with CND and you will never regret learning with them, am still doing courses with CND as learning for me as a lifelong desire.

Best of luck!!!!

tigi

Thank you so much I think giving CND a call would be a good start, thank you to all the ladies that replied to this thread. If I am made redundant then I this will need to work and I will have to put the time and effort in. On a side issue are there any mobile technicians out there who would be able to give me any advise?

thanks again

Laura

Thank you so much I think giving CND a call would be a good start, thank you to all the ladies that replied to this thread. If I am made redundant then I this will need to work and I will have to put the time and effort in. On a side issue are there any mobile technicians out there who would be able to give me any advise?

thanks again

Laura

Well I will give you the benefit of mine.

I would not go mobile if I wanted to start a successful business. There are many reasons why and most of them are comercial.
  • You can't make as much money as you can in a static position.
  • You get next to no client feed back.
  • Many mobile clients just dont show after you have driven all the way to their home, or they ring you at the last minute to cancel when you are already on your way and have made arrangements and spent money on petrol and time.
  • You have no support at a time when you need it most.
  • You do not know who is behind the door of the house you call on which means you have to take elaborate measures for your safety. Making sure someone knows where you are all the times .. extra hidden phone and so on and so on.
  • It is hard hard work packing and unpacking, setting up and working over someone elses furniture which is completely un-ideal and uncomfortable ..
  • children running around, phone ringing and interrupting
  • people wanting to smoke while you work .............. UGH I couldn't bear it and this is just the beginning of a long list of negatives.
A home salon is a far far better option or to rent a space in someone elses salon where you have a bit of support. Think carefully.

I find the whole training thing a bit confusing. Some geeks say a 1 or 2 day course isn't enough, some say college courses are no good - aagghh!!

I'm doing a college manicure course (level 2 VTCT), which I would personally say is giving me a good background. We study the anatomy and physiology of nails, nail disorders and diseases and bones and muscles of the hand and arm.

I want to go on to do nail extensions and nail art. The college courses I have been looking at are priced at £600-£800 which I simply cannot afford. I have no spare cash, so can't even save up for them, as they start in September. The private course I have looked at (Essential Nails) are starting at about £250, which I still can't afford, even with their instalment plan.

It seems there is no definitive answer. So I'm going to do a couple of 1 and 2-day courses on nail art and extensions (Capital Hair & Beauty do a few at £75+VAT) and when I DO manage raise some of extra cash (ebay, Avon, etc), study a more intensive course and practice, practice, practice!

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and there is no way I'm giving up now.

I find the whole training thing a bit confusing. Some geeks say a 1 or 2 day course isn't enough, some say college courses are no good - aagghh!!

I'm doing a college manicure course (level 2 VTCT), which I would personally say is giving me a good background. We study the anatomy and physiology of nails, nail disorders and diseases and bones and muscles of the hand and arm.

I want to go on to do nail extensions and nail art. The college courses I have been looking at are priced at £600-£800 which I simply cannot afford. I have no spare cash, so can't even save up for them, as they start in September. The private course I have looked at (Essential Nails) are starting at about £250, which I still can't afford, even with their instalment plan.

It seems there is no definitive answer. So I'm going to do a couple of 1 and 2-day courses on nail art and extensions (Capital Hair & Beauty do a few at £75+VAT) and when I DO manage raise some of extra cash (ebay, Avon, etc), study a more intensive course and practice, practice, practice!

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and there is no way I'm giving up now.

But if you do a few courses at 75 +VAT, you're almost paying as much as you would for the cheaper EN course you've mentioned. I doubt with paying that much the product you'll be taught with will be a good one. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, it's hard to wait when you have the passion to go for something, but why pay more in the end like I did? Not to mention hearing "I told you so" from my own husband...lol

It took me 2 years to save up enough money to do my course, I'm not saying that's what everyone should do, but if you have the passion now, you'll probably still have it down the line along with a better course under your belt and turning out better nails with a great product :)

Latest posts

Back