Courtesy question :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooey

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks :)

Just popped over from nail geeks... I just wondered if it's rude to ask my hair tech to use 40 vol on my hair? My old hairdresser used to and it made my hair go a beautiful shiny blonde! Is it the same as someone telling me how to do my job or just someone telling me what colour polish they like? I just thought I'd check with you guys as I don't want to be rude or upset anyone!

Thank you xx

Why is it rude?

If you give your hairdresser the reasons why you want her to use it, IMO, as the paying client, you are entitled to ask for what you would like.

You're not telling her how to do her job, you're just asking for her help to reproduce the finish you want.

Good luck!

It depends what she is using it with. If you ask her to use 40 vol with anything other than a high lift tint, then you are asking her to disregard manufacturers instructions and H&S rules and invalidate her insurance.

40 vol is only used in narrow circumstances, and will not make a blonde "shinier". If it degrades the cuticle away, it can leave the hair with a "glassy" look which is usually an indication that the hair is about to snap off.

well i see it as youve had your nail training and its like one of us saying to you "use two coats of arcylic because it will do the job better" you know your own training and you know if two coats does make it stronger or whatever. 40vol 12% is a very strong peroxide, and to be honest the only time i use 12% is on virgin caucasian hair that wants to be WHITE blonde, trust your hairdresser to make the right decision, sometimes moving to another hairdresser makes your hair better as they have a fresher look on things.

we have years of training under our belts and we deal with hair every day for a living so we know what we're talking about! the best thing you can do is tell your new hairdresser exactly how you want your hair, what depth (how dark, light you want to be) and the tone (yellow, ginger, ash, pearl) and if you have a good hairdresser she will do a wonderful job! xXx

Thank you ladies :)

I think I will just take a picture for her... If that isn't too annoying! It's just my hair used to be a really bright vibrant blonde but it's been really dull and lifeless recently... The only thing I can think is that my old hairdresser used 40 vol. Is there anything else it could be or anything else I can do? Thanks for any advice xxx

Last edited:
I love it when people bring in pictures! I don't know why clients are embarrassed when they do, it is so much easier than trying to explain! The number of times people say they want 'a couple of inches' when they mean cm or 'can you feather the sides' when they want a layer cut.. Pictures are easy to get the message across with no confusion.
Just don't bring in a picture of Jennifer Aniston on the beach and expect to leave the salon looking exactly like her, toned arms and all.... I only have scissors, not a magic wand haha! ;-)

Lol definitely not!! This is gonna sound terrible but I was actually planning to take in an old pic of me!! x

I used only 40vol.if the hair really thick like asian hair..and to be honest to make it shinier again i recommend tonung with at least 3 percent..it depends on a hairtype..;)

I'm half Asian but I've got light brown hair naturally so it takes colour really well and doesn't frazzle :)

Latest posts

Back