Cracked Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
Hi,

Client has sent this photo through. It's happened on all bar the ring and little finger.
She types for her job and uses olive oil instead of cuticle oil.
Some of her nails are brittle.
She has two small children.
I've only done her twice but likes to go 4 weeks between appointments.
This is only 10 days in.
I've not had cracking before so any help is appreciated.

Advice on what to say to her really.
I know it's not me, but I know she blames me.

I want to tell her:
- invest I'm cuticle oil and the nail will improve over time
- cracking is caused by pressure on the nails
- cracking can happen when the nails are dry
- chipping is because the nail is chipping and taking the polish with it because they're brittle

Am I right? I'm starting the question my own sanity!

Not related to this lady at all, but quite a few clients have chipped recently. Is it the weather? I keep telling everyone to up their oil usage! Lamps and bulbs are good. My products/procedures haven't changed, still capping :)

Thank you x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390260074.254466.jpg

Another cause:
- natural nail has bent and caused the gel to crack

im big on gel top coat on top of normal nail polish... and as naughty as it is :o I do occasionally bite (not bite hard cause I dont damger the acrylic, but just lightly bite when im bored) my acrylics with the gel toap coat and it does crack like this. It cracks the gel slightly from where my teeth hit and then spiderwebs out. I think it is from her not taking due care of the gel and she is being heavy handed.

Sometimes where the natural nail has a strong c curve the gelish can have cracking on either side where the nail is growing and gelish cracks because of the movement...does that make any sense??!!

She doesn't seem like a nibbler but could be possible.
I'll pay more attention to her shape too.
Any other suggestions? X

This happens to me when wearing shellac after a week, it is caused by the nail bending

Maybe worth trying hard gel underneath?

You say that quite a few of your clients , the nails are chipping/cracking. Have you checked your bulbs? are they all on? NOt any dirt on it? maybe you can turn around the uv bulbs or do you use a led lamp?

You say that quite a few of your clients , the nails are chipping/cracking. Have you checked your bulbs? are they all on? NOt any dirt on it? maybe you can turn around the uv bulbs or do you use a led lamp?

I use two lamps, one LED one CND. Not time to turn CND bulbs yet. It's just unfortunate that they've all happened in the same week. Very frustrating and you do start to doubt ourself, but I just need to stay sane.
I've done 40 odd clients recently and it's the very active ones that have had issues. Too many children, too much water, not enough oil and aftercare. Yet they still blame the nail girl! x

Just re-read the op, the weather certainly won't be helping and I've noticed on the pic the gel looks quite thick, are you applying each coat thin enough?

Maybe start handing out an aftercare leaflet?

Just re-read the op, the weather certainly won't be helping and I've noticed on the pic the gel looks quite thick, are you applying each coat thin enough?

Maybe start handing out an aftercare leaflet?

Now that you mention it, this colour did need 4 coats. There is a chance I lost the will to live and just slapped it on! Critique warmly welcomed x

Latest posts

Back