Cracking / Crumbling / lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

* Helen *

Reaction score
Morning Geeks

I have a few question & would like to pick your brains ... I have read a few other threads & tutorials and came up with my own but I would like other opinions.

After a full set is applied (using Star Nails trained in VTCT) after a week or earlier the tips lift and crack from the side walls. No trauma has been caused.

Also after a full set is applied the gel cracks, crumbles & lifts from as little as 12 hours to the maximum of less than a week. Also been told no trauma has been caused.

I prep as follows cuticle remover, gently remove nail shine & dehydrate, apply tips (blend & shape) then dehydrate again. Then apply gel etc

The gel is not touching side walls or any part of living tissue. All my implements are sterilised so I hope they are not contaminated but this is happening to every set.

I only finished my VTCT on May & have decided to continue with an induction course with Creative but cannot until October time-ish!

Sorry its long winded ... anyone got any thoughts or tips they can share with me please?:hug:

Is this happening on all of your sets or only some?

The first case you mention - is this with L&P or gel? Is it possible the nails in this case were too long for the client and they were a bit heavy handed.

Not sure about the gel issue unless it might be something to do with the light not being compatible with your gel. Sorry I am not really a gel gal. Others may have more info.

naturalnails said:
Is this happening on all of your sets or only some?

The first case you mention - is this with L&P or gel? Is it possible the nails in this case were too long for the client and they were a bit heavy handed.

Not sure about the gel issue unless it might be something to do with the light not being compatible with your gel. Sorry I am not really a gel gal. Others may have more info.

Yes sorry gel.

It happens to them all could be the light but it came with my kit!

They all are relatively short so I dont know.

Thank you for your reply anyway ... much appreciated :hug:

hiya when you have applied your tips you say you dehydrate again you only need to do this on the natural nail bit if it goes onto the tips this could cause the cracking.

Nail creations said:
hiya when you have applied your tips you say you dehydrate again you only need to do this on the natural nail bit if it goes onto the tips this could cause the cracking.

Yes I was taught at college to dehydrate, apply tips & shape then dehydrate again to remove dust etc.

I have my sister in tonight to replace the ones she has lost, I will miss out the second dehydration and see how she goes.

Thank you very muchly :hug:

Hi there.....have you had a read over Geeg's tutorial on gel..here is the linkhttp://www.thenailgeek.com/preparation-application/10070-brush-control-when-using-gel.html

You may find something in there to help you...also Minkus has just done a tutorial on all the different types of gels.....have a read of that too....

Initially I thought you must be touching the sidewalls with the gel to cause the lifting...but if you are sure you don't...Are you sure you are building an apex ...ie making the nail thicker at the stress area...maybe your gel has been applied to thinly leading to breaks and cracks here....

Helencad said:
, I will miss out the second dehydration and see how she goes.

Thank you very muchly :hug:

DON'T miss it out...just make sure it is only the natural nail you dehydrate and not the tip.

izzidoll said:
Hi there.....have you had a read over Geeg's tutorial on gel..here is the linkhttp://www.thenailgeek.com/preparation-application/10070-brush-control-when-using-gel.html

You may find something in there to help you...also Minkus has just done a tutorial on all the different types of gels.....have a read of that too....

Initially I thought you must be touching the sidewalls with the gel to cause the lifting...but if you are sure you don't...Are you sure you are building an apex ...ie making the nail thicker at the stress area...maybe your gel has been applied to thinly leading to breaks and cracks here....

Hi Izzidoll

Thanks for the link, Im going to have a nail only night tonight. I am going to sit and go through it slowly with all tutorials and see what happens.

I will have a read of Minkus's too, thank you.

I am keeping the gel off the sidewalls, I know this can cause lifting and problems. TBH in my VTCT the word "apex" or "stress area" was never mentioned so I was never shown how to build one, but my reading Geeg's tutorial I sort of get the idea.

This is why I am looking forward to an induction course ... until then I am practising on family!

Many thanks for your help Izzi

Helen x

izzidoll said:
DON'T miss it out...just make sure it is only the natural nail you dehydrate and not the tip.

Ok will do :o thanks again x

Latest posts

Back