Crazy Colour problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lm540

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope you can help me out.

In the past I had a client who I bleached and then used crazy colour lilac and violette, after one day without washing her hair the violette turned to a royal blue! Neither of us could understand why this happened. Then I thought I'd try another brand, so I used Osmo colour psycho in a bright pink colour and it was such a lovely colour. She left it as long as possible before washing but it completely washed out after one wash. I felt so disappointed and that I had let her down.

So I thought I'd try some crazy colour on myself. My hair isn't bleached but has 9/81 tint with 9% so it's fairly light. I used crazy colour Ice mauve on it and it was really pretty, but washed out after 1 wash leaving a nice silver but obviously I was disappointed. Then I tried half ice mauve and half lavender, was a really pretty purple, washed my hair in cold water and mixed some colour into my conditioner but still the purple has completely washed out :(

Am I doing something really wrong? I thought these colours were supposed to fade not completely wash out :(

Sorry this is super long, please help me out if you can!!

I'm not a hairdresser but my hairdresser lightened my hair up with bleach so I could go down the line of the pastel purples etc looked beautiful at first after first wash went blue second wash green!! I quickly learnt to steer clear of purples! I now do pinks and I have to literally colour it before I wash it each time if I wanna keep the colour xx
Should add i use the crazy colours

I'm not a hairdresser but my hairdresser lightened my hair up with bleach so I could go down the line of the pastel purples etc looked beautiful at first after first wash went blue second wash green!! I quickly learnt to steer clear of purples! I now do pinks and I have to literally colour it before I wash it each time if I wanna keep the colour xx
Should add i use the crazy colours

Yeah I have heard of that happening, apparently putting a pink in your conditioner helps to keep it purple but I haven't tried that. My hair hasn't gone any other colours the purple just completely washes out! :/ maybe I'll just have to put the purple on every time I wash my hair but it's just a bit of a pain :(

Be careful with purples they do fade green and I had a nightmare trying to remove it on a client!!

I'd just add I'd rather it wash out than stain the hair cuticle, just keep using the colour mixed into conditioner go a little bit more vibrant as it will dilute abit on your hair and once you rinse it off x you could pre mix a conditioner with the colour and retail to your client for upkeep? Xx

Crazy colour is rubbish nowadays compared to other direct dyes. It used to have staying power but after the original company was bought out, they changed the formula and in my opinion, ruined it.

Some suggestions to help longevity assuming you're not overly concerned about possible staining!

Try using a different brand such as Directions, Joico, Manic Panic etc.
In my experience, the purple tints in these brands do not fade out too green.
Ensure the hair is squeaky clean and has no conditioner or other silicone type residue on it.
Apply the direct dye to virtually dry hair and leave for at least 30 minutes.
Rinse it with just warm not hot water.

I still find that most direct dyes benefit from a second application to seal them in. Plus, I offer my clients a coloured conditioner to help top up the vibrancy between appointments.

Last edited:
Be careful with purples they do fade green and I had a nightmare trying to remove it on a client!!
The only vivid colors I have found that remove completely clean out of hair with 20vol & in 5mins & last long with proper care is this line called Patrice Beaute 3D hD hair color.
ruQxGRZ.png

This is purple surge & CHI 9G on N level.4, bleached with blond me +25vol to about a level 8 raw. She comes every 2.5 months or so & it's still nice & purple. I removed it fully for a new job she got & it came out in 5mins with blondme & 20 vol totally clean & quick. This color lines great for clients whom like to change up their fashion colors!

Hello again, just wanted to update you and ask for another piece of advice!!

Today I bleached bathed my hair to go from a 9 to a 10, and then I applied crazy color lavender mixed with conditioner on wet hair and left it for half an hour. I now have (really pretty) baby pink hair!! I don't mind it at all, but I'm now just paranoid in case this ever happens on a client as I'm not sure why... my ideas are
1. didn't leave crazy colour on long enough
2. Shouldn't have diluted it with conditioner
3. Something about my (slightly pinkish) shampoo reacted with the bleach?!
Can any one advise me what went wrong?
Thanks!!! Xxx

Because u mixed it with conditioner - this dilutes the colour x

Because u mixed it with conditioner - this dilutes the colour x

But I thought it would go a pastel purple, I don't understand why it was baby pink? Like not even a hint of purple, it was just pink o_O

Latest posts

Back