creating smile line

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONZIE

Reaction score
I am a new technician as of July this year, and finding things a little bit difficult like everyone does, so I thought I would try this site to get some help!
I have read the tutorial about smile lines on this site, but am not sure what I am supposed to be doing exactly, once I have pushed the white out to the left and right edge of the nail tip.
The tutorial mentions using the side of the brush, but I can't quite grasp this aspect.
Any help please?

Think of when you start to press the bead.
The flat side of the brush is fully on the bead.
But as you get higher up into the corners, don't use the full brush, but just work with the thin edge (or the side) of the brush to do the delicate last maneuver into the corners.
Some like to use the point of the brush but I don't like to waste time reforming point on the tip of the brush so I just use the thin 'side' of the brush.
Try to visualize it. It's natural. I hope this explanation works for you.

Thank you for that advice. It was very helpful but does the brush not need to be kept flat right out to the edge of the nail tip to press the product down? So do I keep it flat right to the edge then just use the side of the brush to push the product up to the corner of the smile? And when you say the 'thin edge' or side of the brush do you mean the side as in the length along the brush or the tip (flag)? Sorry to sound a bit thick but when learning anything new everything seems so difficult and I really want to become good at what I do. I am not doing nails as a full time profession but only in my spare time. I will appreciate any advice I can get from anyone who is willing to help. I passed the foundation course in July this year and am now just trying to get some hands on experience before I go on anymore courses so that I can be fully aware of the problems I am encountering. However, I don't really know what my next stage should be so could someone advise me on this please

If I could just try to help you here, I think you want to be pushing the corners up with the side of your brush. And when you're ready to wipe the smile line, what works for me is to start in the center, and wipe from center to left side, then center to right side. The helps you get a deeper smile. Make sure your mix ratio is right so that you aren't working too dry or too wet. I hope this helps you.

I know this makes me look really dumb! I dont mine .. I wish I had found Geegs explaination quite some time ago .. i just got this on the past set of sculped I did .. I had been fighting with getting the white to make a nice curve up towards the sidewalls, and then .. it was there .. turned brush on its side and used the thin edge! Oh my god .. what a difference .. I am still having problems (like my they not all the same, I tend to mimick the clients own smile lines .. and when making the C I pull off to one side, if anyone has any help for these .. shout at me :p Please).... but realising the brush has more than one surface and can move around in ya hand .. made a world of difference to me ...

Qwinn said:
I know this makes me look really dumb! I dont mine .. I wish I had found Geegs explaination quite some time ago .. i just got this on the past set of sculped I did .. I had been fighting with getting the white to make a nice curve up towards the sidewalls, and then .. it was there .. turned brush on its side and used the thin edge! Oh my god .. what a difference .. I am still having problems (like my they not all the same, I tend to mimick the clients own smile lines .. and when making the C I pull off to one side, if anyone has any help for these .. shout at me :p Please).... but realising the brush has more than one surface and can move around in ya hand .. made a world of difference to me ...
Have you read all of the 'brush control' tutorials'? If not ... if you found that one little piece of advice useful you will find lots more in the premium geeks section under 'brush control'. Happy reading.

I read um all when I frist found the site .. but to be honest it was all a bit alien then :G ... I have read and practiced and read and practiced and now its all starting to sound much more human than it did ... I am re reading stuff I read two years ago, and am getting a lot more outta it .. :D and seeing a lot more of the results in my work too .. ...

Qwinn said:
I read um all when I frist found the site .. but to be honest it was all a bit alien then :G ... I have read and practiced and read and practiced and now its all starting to sound much more human than it did ... I am re reading stuff I read two years ago, and am getting a lot more outta it .. :D and seeing a lot more of the results in my work too .. ...
You are so right!!
The tutorials are like post graduate information ... beginners will find them difficult to understand and to be honest they are not really written for beginners. They are for 'fine tuning' those with a bit of experience under their belts.
You need experience to fully appreciate the info in the tutorials so it is very good advice to read them again 6 months down the line or even more.

Latest posts

Back