Cruise ships

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ls24

Reaction score
Hello everyone... New to this :)

Just thinking About a new direction in the industry and thought about cruise ships for a while just for a complete new experience. Had anyone got experience with working in cruise ships and could pass on any advice?

My friend went 3 times, she loved it. She said the constant massage was tough and the hours were long but the tips were very good and she raved about all the food. She couldnt go back tho coz her wrists and thumbs were locking.
You go for it and enjoy yourself, if I hadnt had kids young I would have done it myself!!

hello, i was going to go with steiner as a nail tech, that was about 2/3 years ago and to this day they have STILL not gotten back to me arranging an interview. Although i did also apply as a beauty therapist and it's predominantly massage you have to do which can be tough. Check with the cruise ship how long the contract is as i think steiner first timers is 9 months xx

I did 2 contracts with Steiner many moons ago and loved it. You do work very hard and its very commission driven but I would go again in the morning! I started off doing a lot of massage, If I remember rightly we would work 8 to 8 five days with one 1/2 day and one full day off. Starting off you would be doing massage, 11 full body's per day. How ever if you did well on retail etc you were moved 'up' on treatments. Now that's my memory and it might have changed since then.
You make great friends and share great experiences which I will always look back on and be glad I did it

I looked into it and the contract used to be 6months but now its 9 (i think this was steiner).

I don't think I'll do it because as much as I'd love to get the experience under my belt, I'd miss everyone in England too much.

Edit: but that's just me lol....I think it would be amazing in terms of product training and life experience in general :)

Thanks everyone... Massage is a fave treatment of mine lol so I'm sure it'd suit me.... I think il go for it :)

To anyone that has worked on a cruise what is the age of most people,:biggrin: im thinking of doing it but im 29 not sure if id be a bit past it, however I do have lots of experience an have just come back from working an traveling in Australia for a year.

Omg, go for it I wish I did it when I was younger!!:)

I did 2 contracts with Steiner many moons ago and loved it. You do work very hard and its very commission driven but I would go again in the morning! I started off doing a lot of massage, If I remember rightly we would work 8 to 8 five days with one 1/2 day and one full day off. Starting off you would be doing massage, 11 full body's per day. How ever if you did well on retail etc you were moved 'up' on treatments. Now that's my memory and it might have changed since then.
You make great friends and share great experiences which I will always look back on and be glad I did it

We had a Steiner representative come into college a few weeks ago to talk to us about it and the information Beautytec gives is exactly what the rep said the days are like. And you have to go and be trained for a couple of months at their training academy and they prefer you to stay on site at the weekends rather than go home to your family every weekend so you start to get used to the separation.
Good luck, you sound like it's perfect for you x

My college tutor went to work for Steiner a few years ago, aged 46! Shes told us she would do it again in a flash, and I wish I had done it years ago before having children, but then I could do as my tutor did and go when the kids are older. She said that when you go for your training they assess you and decide what type of ship is suited to you. She was on one with older people, mostly Americans. But they also cover the Disney cruisers, if you go on their website you'll see the variety of companies they work for. I'm of the opinion that if you get the opportunity to do it, you should!! I also know that Steiner are desperate for nail techs and level 3 qualified hairdressers at the moment!! X

I worked on cruise ships for 7 years not in the salon (shore excursion manager) but was good friends with the people in there. They work really hard there is no getting away from that ( I feel you don't do these jobs for the fabulous pay because sometimes its not) but the upside is the experience and friends from all around the world.
Its an amazing life and if you have the opportunity and are interested go for it. And if you don't like it and find its not for you then you finish your contract and come home. It's not a one way door.
Have fun
Vicki xx

I like this thread, I've also thought about applying for Steiner because it's difficult finding a job on land :D but it's hard decision and though I know it wouldn't be forever, because I know sales and commission are a big part of it I don't think I could do it but that could be down to my shyness, which also holds me back, believe me if I had the confidence I would do it, so of you have that confidence go for it!
Xx

I like this thread, I've also thought about applying for Steiner because it's difficult finding a job on land :D but it's hard decision and though I know it wouldn't be forever, because I know sales and commission are a big part of it I don't think I could do it but that could be down to my shyness, which also holds me back, believe me if I had the confidence I would do it, so of you have that confidence go for it!
Xx

Hi Kerry
I you really want something take a deep breath and go for it. I was the quietest thing going before I went on ships (little quiet girly voice the sort people would talk over). One day I had to do a presentation in front of around 700 guests.
OMG!! I had 3 choices.
1) Pass out on stage
2) Throw up on stage
3) do the presentation.
Now what looks like the easiest option :).
Life experience builds confidence even in those of us who tremble at the thought of it. :)
Hugs
Vicki xx

Hi Kerry
I you really want something take a deep breath and go for it. I was the quietest thing going before I went on ships (little quiet girly voice the sort people would talk over). One day I had to do a presentation in front of around 700 guests.
OMG!! I had 3 choices.
1) Pass out on stage
2) Throw up on stage
3) do the presentation.
Life experience builds confidence even in those of us who tremble at the thought of it. :)
Hugs
Vicki xx

Thanks Vicki, I appreciate the push and admire that you went and did it regardless of your reservations. But Option one would be my choice if I'm honest, well it wouldn't be a choice really, it would just happen lol

Thanks Vicki, I appreciate the push and admire that you went and did it regardless of your reservations. But Option one would be my choice if I'm honest, well it wouldn't be a choice really, it would just happen lol

Too funny. Well not really but you know what I mean :)
Vicki xx

I think I'll just keep tryin to find as much info as I can, I don't want to write it off completely :) there's always a chance I'll decide to take that deep breath and go for it so I'll keep my eye on this thread if others share their experiences
Thanks again Vicki
Xx

Hi Kerry
OMG!! I had 3 choices.
1) Pass out on stage
2) Throw up on stage
3) do the presentation.
Hugs
Vicki xx

OMG is that something they make you do? really? too scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Id pass out

OMG is that something they make you do? really? too scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Id pass out

Yep Had to do an excursion presentation. Best one was when I was on a podium with wheels and we hit rough weather. I rolled right off camera. Was hilarious, people were complaining because it was cut out of the rerun that shows in the cabins.
'sigh' good times :)
Vicki xx

Latest posts

Back