Curing UV gel in LED lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amandafowl

Reaction score
Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I would try just because I am curious.. But not on a client on a tip or practice hand.

Beauty at your finger tips!

I accidently bought ibd uv gel and have a led lamp. I am a nail tech student and my teacher had mentioned there being a product you can stir into uv products to make them curable under led... But can't seem to find anything on that!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ladies, I have an led and a uv lamp. I use the led for the gels/gel polishes that are formulated to work with led and the uv for those formulated for uv. If you try to dry them under the wrong lamp, these will not dry either fully or not at all. I originally bought the led because the drying time for gels/gel polishes are a fraction of uv. But I bought building, p&w gel and after doing a gel mani and "tried"to dry it, it never...ever did. I was so upset and had to go get a uv lamp. That's when I learn that gels and gel polishes are formulated for either type of lamp. So far, I dont know of any product line that can be dried on both type of lamp.
Hope my experience helps you avoid the frustation I felt at that time.:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using SalonGeek mobile app

An LED lamp IS UV! It just has a narrower wave length. Almost all LED (UV) cured products can be cured in a normal UV lamp (which has a wider wavelength) but only those formulated for LED can be cured in that type of lamp.

ALWAYS check with the manufacturer.

I have never heard of anything to 'stir' into a product to make it LED compatible! My advice is don't even try changing the formulation!

An LED lamp IS UV! It just has a narrower wave length. Almost all LED (UV) cured products can be cured in a normal UV lamp (which has a wider wavelength) but only those formulated for LED can be cured in that type of lamp.

ALWAYS check with the manufacturer.

I have never heard of anything to 'stir' into a product to make it LED compatible! My advice is don't even try changing the formulation!

I too would be extremely cautious about mixing in someting extra that you can't predict how it will behaive once under the light. Two nights ago, I was doing my own and using gel formulated for led, and I guess I was so relax and being more aware of the gel curing and I actually felt how it cured. I would describe it as a quick pass of a lighter over my nail plates! Like a quick burning sensation. Imo, I suggest not to add anything to the gels, you never know how it will react. Is better to spend a bit and buy the other lamp than having to get medical help for a client or yourself.:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes, there is a (new?) product by LeChat Nail Care Products that makes all gel polishes LED compatible, check www.lechatnails.com. I believe it is called Gelos gel thinner. I was just told at the Premiere Orlando beauty show in Florida that it makes "UV only" cureable gel polishes into polishes cureable under an LED lamp.

Hmmm, not sure how that works, and sounds interesting, but not sure I would trust it unless someone would really be able to explain the technology to me.

Latest posts

Back