cutting a bob

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobinson

Reaction score
Hi
When cutting a bob, i really struggle with getting the V shape at the centre of the nape. any tips on the best way?
and i also notice i can normally get the shorter to longer perimeter slightly, but never with enough difference between the two so its never quite dramatic enough
..................................:irked:

can you talk us through how you start ?

i start as you would for a normal cut, section into 4sections, at nape take to sections in the upside down V shape, about an inch section. depending on the hair and the shape of the nape i then either use my comb and fingers to get my guidline and cut the perimeter, or i use my finger to hold the hair against the nape. it is getting the V shape i struggle with, it is just a visual thing or is there a technical way of doing it?

A (more-experienced) friend of mine cuts the right side of the baseline first (she, like me, is right-handed, so it's her easier side). From the centrepoint at the nape, she (very very shallow!!!) point cuts the baseline on the left side, giving herself a rough guide before tidying the line once the general shape is there.

I'm not sure how to describe it better for you, sorry :s

I have to say I think practice makes perfect though, and I have to sit back and look at the shape (check it) as I go, not just get up close and keep going.

are you cutting an inverted bob ?? or just a normal bob ?? i think an inverted bob is more dramtic xx

hi yes an inverted bob, the more fashionable kind!

well i would cut the length first n then to create the inverted bob i would section the front off and the section the back in half and then put in ur guide line by taken a small section and pull out towards you and cut on this / angle and pull easch section out in the same way and then bring the front section in on the same angle as then it will leave the front longer i hope this is clear as its hard to explain with out showing and obviousle u can do this on longer styles and shorter styles does this help????

well i would cut the length first n then to create the inverted bob i would section the front off and the section the back in half and then put in ur guide line by taken a small section and pull out towards you and cut on this / angle and pull easch section out in the same way and then bring the front section in on the same angle as then it will leave the front longer i hope this is clear as its hard to explain with out showing and obviousle u can do this on longer styles and shorter styles does this help????
hi yeah this makes sense, this is what i have always done, its just the freehand upside down V bit i struggle with. did you watch celeb scissorhands? remember when steve did that V in the womans bob?!! haha:eek:

oh yeah that had me in stiches i told evry1 bout that. do u know what i always do to find new styles and cuts i look in hair mags new and old and jus put my own spin on things the inverted bob is quite tricky to get the hang of but loads of my clients went through this stage of jus wanting the inverted bob

Latest posts

Back