Cutting curly hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KotaCutsHair

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a new cosmetologist finding my feet in this wonderful business! I LOVE cutting, coloring and styling any type of hair!

A few of my clients have extremely curly hair and it's been a tricky road for me but I think I am coming along pretty well- as the clients keep coming back.

I generally cut curly hair damp and without excess tension of course. In beauty school they didn't teach us to cut hair dry- other than to say it's possible- in fact they down right discouraged it. But I have done my share of youtubing and googling to find out the best ways.

One thing in particular that I am struggling with is a curly haired client that wears her hair straight about 75-80% of the time. She prefers it flat ironed. She has VERY thick hair, it's about a little above shoulder length with a lot of layers. Last year she was wearing her hair curly almost everyday so the uniform haircut worked perfectly and her curls looked gorgeous. This year she's all about straightening her hair and I can't help but notice the distinct lines from previous layering (Shes trying to grow it back out from a chin length cut) She desires a one length bob almost- that she'll flat iron every 2-3 days.. but in the mean time she has these layers and I really need help eliminating the distinct line. I know that "ends need friends" when it comes to curly hair, so apparently point cutting is out- according to Sam Villa- (I asked him on Facebook and his reply was not to point cut..) But I am still left without an answer!

Please help me!! :)

Hey hun... nice to see a stylist who actually acknowledges that cutting curly hair is completely different to straight... so many don't!

Can't really help you with your question but may I suggest talking to Matt Surplice on FB. Hopefully he may help you, he is in my eyes the curly hair GOD! lol

hth x

Not enough stylists understand curly hair :( I have VERY curly hair and all but one stylist has messed it up and cut too much off because they forget it springs up when dry :(
Well done for seeking advice rather than just jumping in like the people I've had :) x

when i was at college our lecturer had very curly hair so showed us alot, and also said that if you can master curly hair - they will come back again cause the stylists that get it are few and far between! but i do remember her saying that if the client wears their hair straight, cut the hair as if its straight hair - if they wear it curly cut it freehand neating the bottom, and then slicing individual sections to remove weight - im very curious to learn more about cutting curly hair so might look into it see if theres some videos on youtube or something!

I'd suggest styling the hair as she would like it, then cut it, just remember that it's curly when wet, I have very curly hair too and "ends certainly do need friends" haha but minimal slicing could be required to blend the old layers and disguise them. Hth

Not enough stylists understand curly hair :( I have VERY curly hair and all but one stylist has messed it up and cut too much off because they forget it springs up when dry :(
Well done for seeking advice rather than just jumping in like the people I've had :) x

I'm not a hair professional so cant help on the question (sorry!) but just wanted to totally agree with the above.

At one stage I used to travel back to Oxford (where I used to live) from Liverpool to cut my hair cut. I have thick hair in corkscrew curls and he actually used to cut it dry, get the shape and then tidy it up once wet. I have never met anyone who did it like this or that I have ever liked as much

Hey Guys,

I'm a new cosmetologist finding my feet in this wonderful business! I LOVE cutting, coloring and styling any type of hair!

A few of my clients have extremely curly hair and it's been a tricky road for me but I think I am coming along pretty well- as the clients keep coming back.

I generally cut curly hair damp and without excess tension of course. In beauty school they didn't teach us to cut hair dry- other than to say it's possible- in fact they down right discouraged it. But I have done my share of youtubing and googling to find out the best ways.

One thing in particular that I am struggling with is a curly haired client that wears her hair straight about 75-80% of the time. She prefers it flat ironed. She has VERY thick hair, it's about a little above shoulder length with a lot of layers. Last year she was wearing her hair curly almost everyday so the uniform haircut worked perfectly and her curls looked gorgeous. This year she's all about straightening her hair and I can't help but notice the distinct lines from previous layering (Shes trying to grow it back out from a chin length cut) She desires a one length bob almost- that she'll flat iron every 2-3 days.. but in the mean time she has these layers and I really need help eliminating the distinct line. I know that "ends need friends" when it comes to curly hair, so apparently point cutting is out- according to Sam Villa- (I asked him on Facebook and his reply was not to point cut..) But I am still left without an answer!

Please help me!! :)

I would cut the hair as you normally do wet. Then blowdry and straighten the hair then deep point cut into the hair to eliminate any weight lines so it will look good straight. Then when she wears it curly it will look more broken up and have more volume. I have a lot of curly hair clients and they generally love texture.. Hope that helps :) x

Latest posts

Back