Cutting Down on Staff Hours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie20

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I am legally able to cut some of my staff hours down without experiencing any come back?

Don't know a lot about this as a lot depends on the contracts etc. ACAS will be able to help you as they are impartial. I'm sure they have a website with advice for employers and employees.

As above speak to ACAS for expert guidance but you should so long as you give enough notice be ok can't remember whether it shoudl be 4 weeks or 1 week - the bigger issue maybe the comeback of the staff leaving for a job with the hours they want.

in theory you cannot as staff have a contract and any reduction would be an unlawful deduction to their pay.

However thats the legal position
If you meet the staff and explain the problem and that you might have to contemplate redundancies--you can indicate that if staff agreed to reduce their hours ,even on a temp basis,this might be avoidedOf course you want the reduction to be at non peak times.
If you cant get agreement then i guess you have to go down the redundancy route

if you stated in their contracts that this situation could happen, then you are well within your rights to shorten their hours without them taking any legal action against you.

however if you didn't put any provision for this sort of eventuality, then they may be able to lodge a case against you. :cry:

as others have said, contact ACAS or the CAB and get some advice.

jue x

if you have not given your employees written contracts of employment then you need to do this, you can put in a section about layoffs and short time working, ACAS has a PDF about it.

hope this helps.

The best website at the moment (which is free) is the business link.gov site and this (as well as ACAS) has specific guidance on these types of issues. It also has templates and surveys and even though I do myself out of business by referring clients there it always seems to get them on the right track.

In short, however, you need to consult. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back