Damaged hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetie_pie

Reaction score
Hi, Apologies, im jumping over from Nails but i needed to ask you lovely people which hair shampoo and conditioner would be best to buy. I'll give you some back info. Around 3 months ago i switched hair salon, however my hair has become incredibly damaged, so i moved to another salon last week, who did a baylage (so i can go longer between colouring) with Olaplex treatment which seems to have improved it a little, my hair has never been in a fantastic condition as its naturally frizzy and fluffy anyway, however my new hair dresser said it appears they've been using a strength of peroxide thats too high for my hair (i've had blonde highlights for numerous years and its never been this damaged and brittle before), because i'm a nail tech i have a trade card for Salon services to intend to buy olaplex 3 to use weekly till my next treatment, but would like something else to use inbetween, a deep condition mask or something, im just npt sure which would be best. Any recommendations? I hope you dont mind me posting here. Thanks :)

I’ve had the same at my hairdressers and my hair is breaking, snapping and feels so dry and stiff I can stand it up it’s so brittle!

I have been putting coconut oil on and leaving it a few hours before I wash my hair. I’ve also used Redken Extreme shampoo, conditioner and redken antisnap as a leave in. Out of everything I have tried the redken has been brilliant and puts softness and strength back in my hair.

I have the olaplex 3 and I tried a treatment with it but my hair just melted?!! It was coming out in lumps and if I pulled it it stretched and just snapped away so really not sure what reaction it had on my hair! I washed it off straight away thankfully as I was going to go over night with it in. I’d have had no hair left if I had done!

Hi guys.

Hair is weakest when it is wet so don't use a comb ect.

Please understand that when going very blonde you are stripping the hair of all of its natural form. Of course it will get damaged. That's science I'm afraid.

Olaplex works wonders though, can I ask what you mean by melted? Where did you get your olaplex from ....I've never experienced this happening see.

When my clients go blonde I always make sure they understand the maintenance behind it. And I'm talking expect dive shampoo and conditioner + weekly treatments x

I think what did my hair was the bleach rinse they did on previously bleached hair as I use purple shampoo and they were trying to remove the purple from the ends that had taken up more due to being so porous. My hair is so damaged now I’m looking at other options to give it the break it needs.

I’m not sure what happened with the olaplex 3. I bought it from my hairdresser salon and have used it before but this time after bleaching and my hair so damaged it just somehow reacted? I didn’t comb it it was whilst I was massaging it in after putting it on and if I ran my fingers through it just came out in clumps so me wondering what was going on I got hold of some hair and pulled and it just stretched away! The pieces that came out just pulled apart like they were made of cheese strings! I quickly washed off the olaplex and it was then ok and has been since but I darent put any on again!

I think what did my hair was the bleach rinse they did on previously bleached hair as I use purple shampoo and they were trying to remove the purple from the ends that had taken up more due to being so porous. My hair is so damaged now I’m looking at other options to give it the break it needs.

I’m not sure what happened with the olaplex 3. I bought it from my hairdresser salon and have used it before but this time after bleaching and my hair so damaged it just somehow reacted? I didn’t comb it it was whilst I was massaging it in after putting it on and if I ran my fingers through it just came out in clumps so me wondering what was going on I got hold of some hair and pulled and it just stretched away! The pieces that came out just pulled apart like they were made of cheese strings! I quickly washed off the olaplex and it was then ok and has been since but I darent put any on again!
Silly question I know but did you rinse and shampoo the bleach out?

A bleach rinse shouldn't damage as it's mixed with water and shampoo.....so it's VERY diluted x

To save your hair what abliyr a rootdrag with a more bronde toner ? Maybe a 8.7? X

Silly question I know but did you rinse and shampoo the bleach out?

A bleach rinse shouldn't damage as it's mixed with water and shampoo.....so it's VERY diluted x
Redlottie I’m not a hairdresser. It was my hair dresser that did it and not sure how she did it but the bleach that was on my hair to lift a 5 dye from my previous root stretch to blonde was somehow used on ends of my hair over the sink to lift the purple shampoo. My hair was fine before this.

Then they toned and washed and conditioned my hair. I could rub the ends of my hair and it would crumble. The ends looked like they had been crozzled with a flame. I went to my niece who is a hairdresser and she trimmed the damaged ends off and couldn’t believe what they had done to my hair!

To save your hair what abliyr a rootdrag with a more bronde toner ? Maybe a 8.7? X
I was just having a root drag taken out to all blonde again as they couldn’t get colour right when lifting root drag up again. I was becoming many colours as the 5 1 they used was fading to ginger and anything darker wouldn’t lift. I’m losing will to live to get the look I’m after and being able to keep it but they just can’t seem to do a root smudge with right colour and able to lift it when needs redoing.

Coconut oil feels and smells nice but it doesn’t actually do anything to repair damaged hair so don’t believe the hype.

Also, too much protein added to the hair will actually cause it to snap. You should only use protein treatments occasionally but you can use moisturising treatments all the time without causing damage.

If your hair was very porous, that would explain the purple shampoo staining the hair purple. Therefore, that’s a red flag to applying anything stronger than a very mild bleach shampoo to remove the purple although I’d recommend using a coloured conditioner to neutralise the purple rather than bleach it out.

Olaplex repairs broken bonds within the hair, it can’t possibly cause damage so if your hair is breaking off, it’s something else that’s causing the problem.

Coconut oil feels and smells nice but it doesn’t actually do anything to repair damaged hair so don’t believe the hype.

Also, too much protein added to the hair will actually cause it to snap. You should only use protein treatments occasionally but you can use moisturising treatments all the time without causing damage.

If your hair was very porous, that would explain the purple shampoo staining the hair purple. Therefore, that’s a red flag to applying anything stronger than a very mild bleach shampoo to remove the purple although I’d recommend using a coloured conditioner to neutralise the purple rather than bleach it out.

Olaplex repairs broken bonds within the hair, it can’t possibly cause damage so if your hair is breaking off, it’s something else that’s causing the problem.
Ooh, I've never heard of the conditioner neutralising purple shampoo? Please tell me more x

Thank you for this info. I had read about the protein can be too much but my hair is still needing it as it’s not snapping off anymore. It’s a shampoo and conditioner I’m using and a leave in anti snap.

I had read some where about olaplex 3 reacting with minerals in the hair which I did wonder if it had reacted with the purple shampoo that is embedded into my damaged ends?

What moisture shampoo do you recommend as tried so many but nothing seems to work to put the moisture back?

Ooh, I've never heard of the conditioner neutralising purple shampoo? Please tell me more x

I was thinking about the coloured conditioners that you can easily buy. However, I usually make some up by mixing some direct dye into a plain white conditioner and putting it into a clear plastic bottle. Funnily enough, I tend to use a coconut oil based deep conditioner as clients like the smell. They can use it as a deep conditioning treatment.

If you bleach out the purple ends, you’d probably still need to re-tone them to match the rest of the hair, and I’ve successfully covered purple tinged ends using this method.

I also tend to offer blonde clients a purple tinged deep conditioner to use instead of purple shampoo that I’ve mixed myself. It’s a bespoke product that you can charge for. :)

I was thinking about the coloured conditioners that you can easily buy. However, I usually make some up by mixing some direct dye into a plain white conditioner and putting it into a clear plastic bottle. Funnily enough, I tend to use a coconut oil based deep conditioner as clients like the smell. They can use it as a deep conditioning treatment.

If you bleach out the purple ends, you’d probably still need to re-tone them to match the rest of the hair, and I’ve successfully covered purple tinged ends using this method.

I also tend to offer blonde clients a purple tinged deep conditioner to use instead of purple shampoo that I’ve mixed myself. It’s a bespoke product that you can charge for. :)
Love this idea thank you x

Latest posts

Back