Damaged nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeniaDK

Reaction score
u4anetuv.jpg

I have this customer, who wants a full set of acrylic nails, but she has more or less no nail - what would you do?

If I were her I would leave that nail and do the rest. ( I'm assuming there is only the one nail like that and not all of them?)

Sometimes trying to make a nail like that look longer and paint it just highlights the problem whereas it won't be as noticeable if just left alone ... For special occasions you could make a fake nail that can be glued on as a temporary 'fix'.

You could make the fake nail to fit the nail plate she has where it will be glued, but wider and longer to make it in proportion with the other nails. I love doing things like that. :lol:

If all her nails are like that I wouldn't do them ... You can't always fix things.

Last edited:
I recently had a client whose 2 thumbs were like this except the bit of nail was soft and spongy so I shellaced her nails and trimmed and shellaced 2 nail tips and glued them on as Geeg said. The falsies only lasted 2 days but she was happy enough as she wanted them done for an event..

Incidentally she had had gels on before by another tech and of course as there was nothing solid for the gel to adhere to , the 2 thumbs ended up being a torn and bloody mess .....:Scared:

Thank you both of you! I made a nail for her she could glue back on if she needed it - she has never had more than on the picture
I know the nail I made is far too long - but she wanted it to fit the others
So she ended up with this nail :
me9u7are.jpg

Wow - she must have been chuffed to bits with that!! :lol:

Beautifully done!

thank you both of you - she was happy - so I am too :)
she couldn't stop looking at her new nail :D

Great job ... What a difference. Doesn't it make your heart feel good when you can do that for someone? :hug:

Wow .... That looks like a totally different finger !!

I may sound like an idiot here (fairly new to the business), but how did you manage to get the nail to stay with such a small nail bed area to adhere the false nail to ??
I couldn't imagine glue would hold for long on the nail & wouldn't fancy putting glue on the skin to attach the new nail.

Things like this fascinate me & also scare me as I wouldn't know where to start !!

thank you Geeg - it made me feel very happy - just the light in her eyes when we were done were enough!
and might i add i enjoyed the challenge !

Last edited:
Wow .... That looks like a totally different finger !!

I may sound like an idiot here (fairly new to the business), but how did you manage to get the nail to stay with such a small nail bed area to adhere the false nail to ??
I couldn't imagine glue would hold for long on the nail & wouldn't fancy putting glue on the skin to attach the new nail.

Things like this fascinate me & also scare me as I wouldn't know where to start !!

i sculpted a nail first, on a practice finger, poped it off, and made it thicker on the side where she had some nail - like fitting it in a hole ... (i don't know how else to explain it .. ) and den glued it on (I did get som on the skin, eventhough it's not good, but otherwise she'd catch on to everything ...)

BTW...I can't stop looking at YOUR nails. They're amazing!!!

Thank YOU! :)
if you want to see a better pic. I posted one in : what nails are you sporting today

Amazing work it looks fab - you created a totally different finger :lol: Well done you. Your client must have been really happy.

It would be interesting to know how long it stays on. Could there be a problem with moisture getting under the enhancement?

thank you JuicyLucy :)
i don't think it will stay on for long, so hopefully moisture won't be a problem... oh now i'm worried!
i hope it will work out fine - any ways - i will see her soon - so i'll know how it works out for her...

That's amazingly done!

That looks amazing! I bet she feels a million dollars now. :)

thank you JuicyLucy :)
i don't think it will stay on for long, so hopefully moisture won't be a problem... oh now i'm worried!
i hope it will work out fine - any ways - i will see her soon - so i'll know how it works out for her...

Next time ... Build a plinth directly onto her natural nail. Then create your fake nail and glue it onto the plinth (you can also attach it with a small bead of acrylic for better longevity) .... This way it won't matter if moisture gets in underneath the edges as the important thing is the natural nail itself will be overlaid with the plinth and water will not leak under that. Using Solar oil will drive any moisture from under the edges but it is still a semi-permanent solution.

Next time ... Build a plinth directly onto her natural nail. Then create your fake nail and glue it onto the plinth (you can also attach it with a small bead of acrylic for better longevity) .... This way it won't matter if moisture gets in underneath the edges as the important thing is the natural nail itself will be overlaid with the plinth and water will not leak under that. Using Solar oil will drive any moisture from under the edges but it is still a semi-permanent solution.

oh - my english is not that good but what is a Plinth ? :)
unfortunately i'm not able to buy solar oil since i'm not educated by CND (yet - it's my next project), but i will provide her with the one i'm using for now...

oh - my english is not that good but what is a Plinth ? :)
unfortunately i'm not able to buy solar oil since i'm not educated by CND (yet - it's my next project), but i will provide her with the one i'm using for now...

Sorry Zenia ... a plinth is the word for a base that something else sits on top of. If you had a statue it would rest on a plinth (a base or platform).

In art work a base or platform for a piece of sculpture or artwork is always called a plinth. :hug:

So what I'm suggesting is that you overlay what is there (that would become the plinth) and then attach the fake nail you have created to it.

Latest posts

Back