Damaged nails and gel extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailedit00

Reaction score
Today I had a client who had acrylics from an NSS and I did chrome ontop of them, she was very happy with them and has booked in for gel extensions in 3 weeks after I have talked to her about the dangers of NSS and she has told me that her nails are so painful when she gets them removed as they're so thin she has to get them done again straight the way. I am worried because of this she will have awful heat spikes and I don't want her to be very uncomfortable? But I don't want to refuse service and lose a potentially very loyal client as she has her nails done every 2/3 weeks without fail. Although I am not willing to cause any harm or pain and I would rather turn her away then cause discomfort. Does anybody have a solution to this? Thank you! x

Unless there is dramatic lifting I would not remove the previous set, I would rebalance as normal with your hard gel.

Not only is removing NSS nails a nightmare, but if her nails are that damaged underneath it's unlikely your gel will adhere well, and as you've said maybe cause discomfort to your client.

Rebalancing with gel will allow her nails to stay protected and save you the hassle of removing them , Win win ;)

She said she will get them removed there because she has had 3 infills so next time it will be time for a fresh set so if I choose to do them I will be applying to her natural nail, I guess I am just going to have to see the damage for myself to decide I just don't want to lose her she gets fingers and toes regularly and she has already suggested me to people in my area I just wish there was a way to completely eliminate heat spikes x

Try not to place your client nails right in the lamp when curing, let them be close enough to the lamp outside, so the light can be seen on them, depending if you use led or uv, 5-10 seconds would be enough and then place the nails fully in the lamp. This will let the nails get use to the heat so there won't be a lot of heat spike and hopefully not painful for your client :) Good luck! I hope that made sense lol!

Thinner layers , and flash curing will help minimise heat spikes but if her nails are very damaged she may feel slight discomfort , the moment she feels anything have her remove her hand completely from the lamp and wait a few seconds before putting it back in.

Some gels have much higher levels of photo initiators than others ( that's what gives out the heat) , also not using the correct lamp for your system will also give a higher heat spike

Try not to place your client nails right in the lamp when curing, let them be close enough to the lamp outside, so the light can be seen on them, depending if you use led or uv, 5-10 seconds would be enough and then place the nails fully in the lamp. This will let the nails get use to the heat so there won't be a lot of heat spike and hopefully not painful for your client :) Good luck! I hope that made sense lol!
Ok thank you this is helpful I am aware of flash curing and thin layers but I will try this method :)

Thinner layers , and flash curing will help minimise heat spikes but if her nails are very damaged she may feel slight discomfort , the moment she feels anything have her remove her hand completely from the lamp and wait a few seconds before putting it back in.

Some gels have much higher levels of photo initiators than others ( that's what gives out the heat) , also not using the correct lamp for your system will also give a higher heat spike
Thank you, if the client removes their hand and puts it back in will I need to cure for longer? I haven't had any major problems for heat spikes yet none at all for gel polish and some heat sensation with very damaged nails and gel extensions. I have two lamps so I have the correct one for both of my systems and I will work in the thinnest layers I possibly can x

Thank you, if the client removes their hand and puts it back in will I need to cure for longer? I haven't had any major problems for heat spikes yet none at all for gel polish and some heat sensation with very damaged nails and gel extensions. I have two lamps so I have the correct one for both of my systems and I will work in the thinnest layers I possibly can x

Yes, To ensure a full and proper cure I would turn the lamp for a few more seconds if your client keeps having to remove her hand.

Yes, To ensure a full and proper cure I would turn the lamp for a few more seconds if your client keeps having to remove her hand.
Thanks for your help xx

Latest posts

Back