Day of wedding?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey guys! Little wedding question for all those who are married...

Looking to book our wedding in the next few months and we are on a bit of a budget so have decided to go for a midweek wedding. I was just wondering if anyone who has had one could tell me if through the week really affected people coming? And what day exactly it was they chose? Or anything else really that is day-related? We understand most family and friends wouldn't mind taking a days/2 days holiday from work as it's a special event and will be announced a good 2 years in advance... But we also understand people can be really funny about this type of thing :/ ideally we'd love it to be a Saturday but unfortunately most venues are double priced for it! We could just wait longer and save more but this is just isn't ideal x

Next best day would be a Friday. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Friday is seen as a weekend day though. The weekday-days are Monday to Thursday

What about a Thursday when there is a holiday weekend coming up.
I'm sure people would be delighted to have an excuse for a longer weekend !!!

We wondered about this too. From my perspective I would book a day off work and go to someone else's wedding. I wouldn't mind using annual leave because let's be honest weddings are so much fun!

But then we started thinking to ourselves, would people not let their hair down as much if they have to work the next day. As I think taking a day off for a wedding is fine, would people take 2 days off so that they could recover the next day?

We were getting married next year but have decided against it now, I can't part with that much money when I want to do so much more around the house!

Such a shame it's so expensive!

We had a Saturday wedding, but when planning we considered a weekday.

We asked our family and friends and found many wouldn't mind one day but 2 was cheeky. So many that had work would leave early. Also parents didn't like the idea of taking children out of school or had to juggle the school run etc. another thing to consider is holiday embargoes..

Good luck!

We're getting married on a Thursday in may's whitsun week so all the kids are on holiday plus we're getting married down in st ives so everyones coming for at least a few days.i think the people that love and matter the most will do whatever to be there and also its kept within our budget xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Day before Good Friday is a good one. ;)

I'm getting married on the Saturday that weekend this year.
most people get the Friday and the Monday off as obv they are bank holidays xx

I didn't even think about public holidays that's a great idea 😱 I'll need to have a look at the calendar thanks guys!! Xxx

We married on a Saturday (I wanted the particular date as it was exactly 3 years after our first date)
Anyway, in order to do this we had to cut costs elsewhere....
We married at 4:30 (told everyone to get a hearty lunch at the pub up the road!) And simply offered finger buffett!
We gave Jaques cider as welcome toast, served in posh glasses - everyone afterwards asked what it was as so delicious!
And I made ribbon & buntin decorations instead of flowers.
6 years on and I wish I just had a registry marriage, a party and a fab honeymoon.
Hope that helps x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

We got married on a Thursday, we originally went for the Friday but we saved another £2000 by moving it to the Thursday. We chose the Thursday before May Day bank holiday so if people booked the Thursday and Friday off they would have a nice long weekend, most people loved it. The only people that couldn't make it were teachers as they couldn't get a school day off. And maybe now children as schools are stricter. Apart from that nobody had any problem with it.

We married on a Saturday (I wanted the particular date as it was exactly 3 years after our first date)
Anyway, in order to do this we had to cut costs elsewhere....
We married at 4:30 (told everyone to get a hearty lunch at the pub up the road!) And simply offered finger buffett!
We gave Jaques cider as welcome toast, served in posh glasses - everyone afterwards asked what it was as so delicious!
And I made ribbon & buntin decorations instead of flowers.
6 years on and I wish I just had a registry marriage, a party and a fab honeymoon.
Hope that helps x

Those are fab ideas! Although I think we've scrimped enough already 😂

We have our heart set on a particular venue with a particular package so will find it difficult to make any more cuts. Like the previous reply we were planning Thursday as the weekend is 2000 more!! But we've had a good chat about it and I've decided a midweek is just not doable for us and the invitees :( so unfortunately it will not be getting booked anytime soon 😩

Blimey thats a huge discount, just shows how much money the venues must make!

If I could go back I would do it all differently, but then again I wouldnt listen to me ha ha!
I spent alot of money trying to make things right, but for who? I am only in touch with about 3 people that attended the day!
Although better to regret doing it, than not doing it huh.

It may seem a long way off now, but it really will creep up on you and before you know it your on honeymoon.
If you can, then get the day booked now, even if its for in 2/3 years time, at least you can start to count down and you have it to aim for.
Good luck xx

We got married on a Friday in a registry office with just 10 guests and had a garden party for friends and family at ours the next day.

I just wanted a really a simple 'do' with no presents and no fuss. It suited us but I can appreciate others might want something a bit more traditional.

Ahh I'm so torn 😩 2000 is just a ridiculous amount for the sake of 48 hours later. i know it's our day and nobody elses so it shouldn't matter but I just don't want to cause hassle to everyone who has kids. We aren't inviting any cousins so all younger kids won't be going which means the aunts and uncles that are attending the service are going to have to take kids to school in the morning, make their way to our wedding get someone to bring the kids to the reception that night then probably leave early to get the kids to bed for school in the morning. Obvs they'll have to get someone to bring the kids at the weekend too but at least they don't need to worry about school and work the next mornino. This is my main issue and I just find it too much of a hassle for people. We've spoke about doing it over holidays but won't things be a lot more expensive then? Eg, photographer??

Hmmm, how about contacting a few photographers, florist & DJ and ask of the time of year changes their prices?

Yes it might be a hassle for some with school & work the next day, maybe give them a call to feel the vibe and see what they say. Afterall its only going to be once.

If your expecting the evening to finish at 11/12 then it wont be too much trouble for people the next morning, but if your friends/family love a big bash and might carry on until the early hours then maybe not!
I was disappointed when everyone left my party by half 11 (they were all hungover after their big renuion in the hotel the night before!)
X

Latest posts

Back