DBS / CRB certificates needed for kids pamper parties?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glogirl

Reaction score
I am a freelance mobile therapist and am regularly doing more and more kids pamper parties. Does anyone know whether you have to have a CRB/DBS certificate by law when working with children? My insurance states that i need parental consent when carrying our treatments which i have, but just wondered if a CRB certificate is essential? Does anyone know?

You canot get a search done on yourself and as your self employed I am unsure if you would be able to get one. It might be possible for your business to ask for a search on you but it is not a requirement to have one so long as your keeping the childs parent/guardian with you at all times (just as your insurance requires).

In my opinion it'd make someone look serious and responsible when it came to working with kids. I think I'd be more inclined to book a kids pamper party with someone who had DBS as it seems more official and trustworthy.

As Baggybear said, you can not apply for even a basic CRB yourself, you have to be an employee.

Although these checks show a past history, (or lack of) they will, obviously, only show if anyone has been caught and charged doing XYZ, they do not show any pending cases that an individual has yet to be charged for.

You could have a squeaky clean past but be on trial for theft, murder, abusing trees lol whatever, this will not show up on your check as you've yet to be found guilty or charged.

So therefore you'd have a clean CRB check lasting 3 years and a week or a year later be charged with a string of offences but your CRB has already been done.

I personally don't think they're worth the paper they're written on, how many teachers and people of trust and authority have had them done and BOOM!! Up in court for God knows what

Just tell the hostess that as well as obtaining written consent from the parents, your insurance requires a parent to be in the room with you at all times and you'll be fine.

Just to back up what KHS is saying (I appologise for the morbidness below but it proves a point).

Ian Huntley (the Soham murders of Holly & Jessica) had a clean CRB to become the school caretaker.

He had actually been accused several times of rape and having relationships with underage girls before applying for the job. http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/dec/17/soham.ukcrime2
http://www.nndb.com/people/976/000026898/

I know things have changed a in the searches they do for a DBS now BUT the accusations & investigations that happen are not CONVICTIONS and therfore don't show up on CRB. I am unsure if they would show on a DBS search but I think not as we are inocent until PROVEN guilty in the UK.

Although I can see that it might settle some people's minds having a CRB/DBS there really isn't a need for one as you should ALWAYS have parents or other adults there with you at all times as it is a requirement of your insurance.

Latest posts

Back